Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Stock UI is driving me crazy - alternatives?

OP bcodemz

23rd August 2014, 02:55 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

1 posts
Hi guys,

Please, please help me like Android. I am so close to buying an iPhone, which disgusts me that I'm actually considering using Apple products.

My first experience with Android phones are with the Samsung S2X and S3. At the time I thought the S2X was horrible in every way imaginable. The S3 improved on many aspects such as the screen, but it was still horribly laggy and slow with the crappy Touchwiz UI and makes me want to smash the phone (which I did, but unintentionally)

Then I bought the Nexus 4, and it was *snappy*. I thought, now that's what I'm talking about. Finally, 5 years later, a non laggy Android phone. But quickly I can't believe myself as I started to miss Touchwiz. I realized why Samsung put the horribly laggy Touchwiz UI on - they had no choice. Stock Android UI is *stunningly bad*

I won't go through all the gripes I have with stock Android's UI, there's too many. But this is the biggest problem I have, and it must be solved, otherwise I have to go to the dark side and use the amazingly childish looking UI of iOS (but at least it'll be a joy to use).

The stock UI essentially has NO NOTIFICATIONS.

There's no way I know if I got a new text without going to the texting app. There's no way I know if I got a new missed call without going to the phone app. I want to see the "1" on the left corner of an app icon notifying me from the home screen of new texts and phone calls.

There's no way of knowing why my phone just made a notification sound or vibrate unless I turn on my phone within 3 seconds to read the notification message on the top of the screen. That's simply unrealistic when my phone is in my pocket most of the time. I need the notifications to stay on the lock screen until I acknowledge it, like in iOS. Otherwise, I'll never know what the notification is since the notification center is so convoluted with previous notifications that never get deleted unless I swipe each of them away, which is very inconvenient.

What's worse, the calendar/appointment is useless. I set up an alarm to notify me say 30 minutes before an event. All the notification I get is a *single* vibrate nudge. When I turn on my phone, I don't know what it is. I expect the alarm to keep sounding until I acknowledge it, just like an alarm clock. I expect it to show up on my lock screen of the thing I want to be reminded of, just like iOS and Touchwiz. I've missed a doctor's appointment because of the lack of notifications, and when I had to pay a fine for missing the appointment, I almost went straight to an Apple store and bought an iPhone.

Is there anything I can do? Any version of cyanogenmod with a more sensible UI? Please help me stop harboring thoughts of buying an iPhone.

Much thanks
23rd August 2014, 04:50 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 102

347 posts
Hey man. This is just an advice. If you cant get along with android and the vanilla ui then dont bother and buy an iphone. You must feel comfortable with the phone and not the other way round. And heck, it is not a shame to buy an apple product at all. Instead of searching through everything, wasting money on devices you arent satisfied with, spending hours and nerves to go through trouble, you just can take the easy way and buy what you are comfortable with.
All those 'features' you are asking for could only be found in ios. There are some solutions on android but they dont work half as good as on ios.
So go grab an iphone, mate!
23rd August 2014, 09:49 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 93

412 posts
The Nexus line is, by design, light on things like that. Being able to completely customize the experience is a feature, not a bug. You need to find apps and add-ons that make the phone work right for you, vanilla Android is a completely blank slate.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Free mobile app
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread