Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Stolen Nexus 4, Is my data is at risk?

OP nabeel.haider1

22nd June 2014, 01:30 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

1 posts
I had nexus 4 for about a year. Had so much personal data, apps,chats, pictures etc. Device is stolen 2 days ago. Is it possible for the thief to access my data? My device was rooted and with unlocked bootloader with custom recovery installed and screen is locked with pin. I am not sure about flashing factory image will wipe data knowing that the bootloader is unlocked? Or Will flashing will just replace the system files only? So much confused and tensed about it. I already used android device manager to erease all data but not feeling secure.
22nd June 2014, 03:35 PM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
Minnetonka, MN
Thanks Meter: 3,998

11,406 posts
If android device manager didn't erase the data, it's pretty easy to use adb and pull data off the phone from the custom recovery. Probably not what you wanted to hear. Most thieves are only interested in selling the phone and not the data on it though. Sifting through the data on a stolen phone takes time to find anything worthwhile so I don't think they'd do it

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app
23rd June 2014, 03:50 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 93

412 posts
If you have a pin set, that's enough to deter 99.9% of all thieves. They'll just wipe the whole phone and resell quickly.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Free mobile app
23rd June 2014, 05:35 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 6

132 posts
I'm gonna be dead-honest here: unless you installed a tracking/remote wipe app like prey (to name one) then the answer is yes, your data is at risk.

Best case scenario the thief is just looking for something to sell fast and wont even bother or know how to extract the data and just wipe it. Worst case he sells it as-is to somehow who actually knows...
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread