Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,924 Members 45,508 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] storage space running out

Tip us?

thejiajielee
Old
(Last edited by thejiajielee; 11th January 2014 at 07:05 AM.) Reason: add info
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default [Q] storage space running out

hi,

i have a storage issue that i'll like to ask the gurus.. I've just moved from PSX's v8.5 (4.3) to PSX v3 (4.4) and along the way, I've made numerous backups just in case. after flashing v3 and hellscore b43, i ran into a storage space issue where my N4 told me i had insufficient space to install more apps, to work system functions, anything. Ive attached a screenshot of my storage, but it seems to be there is a good 5-6gb of space unaccounted for? i have v little songs in my phone, no movies, little apps as well. its rooted. can anyone point to as to how i can solve this?

thanks!

to add on, I've used storage analyser to better understand by storage, and it says i have 9.87gb available, whilte the stock storage details shows the number at 611mb.

help pls?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	24251.jpg
Views:	1785
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	2508063  

Berrydroidcafe
Old
Thanks Meter 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejiajielee View Post
hi,

i have a storage issue that i'll like to ask the gurus.. I've just moved from PSX's v8.5 (4.3) to PSX v3 (4.4) and along the way, I've made numerous backups just in case. after flashing v3 and hellscore b43, i ran into a storage space issue where my N4 told me i had insufficient space to install more apps, to work system functions, anything. Ive attached a screenshot of my storage, but it seems to be there is a good 5-6gb of space unaccounted for? i have v little songs in my phone, no movies, little apps as well. its rooted. can anyone point to as to how i can solve this?

thanks!
Try flashing SuperSU via the recovery.

Sent from my Nexus 7 (2013)
Blackberry Bold 9780 OS 7
HTC G2 (Desire Z) 4.4.2
LG Nexus 4 4.4.2
Asus Nexus 7 (2013) 4.4.2

Don't forget to hit the Thanks button if I helped in any way!

thejiajielee
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
hi, I've tried that, but to no avail..

thejiajielee
Old
(Last edited by thejiajielee; 11th January 2014 at 09:22 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
ive also realised that system data takes up a huge chunk, more than 6gb. which is where most of the missing storage is. help, anyone?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-01-11-17-20-43.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	2508310  

Berrydroidcafe
Old
Thanks Meter 230
Quote:
ive also realised that system data takes up a huge chunk, more than 6gb. which is where most of the missing storage is. help, anyone?
Have you downgraded to the rom where you don't have this problem?

Sent from my Nexus 7 (2013)
Blackberry Bold 9780 OS 7
HTC G2 (Desire Z) 4.4.2
LG Nexus 4 4.4.2
Asus Nexus 7 (2013) 4.4.2

Don't forget to hit the Thanks button if I helped in any way!

Nigeldg
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1079
I only just realised I was having the same issue when I got an insufficient storage available message while trying to update some apps. To solve it reboot into recovery then go on backup and restore and delete any unnecessary backups you have, if the ROM's working now then you could do with deleting all of the old backups and making one fresh one with the new ROM. Also do the 'free unused space' thing in CWM, I had no backups but somehow there was almost 3 gigs of space being wasted by CWM. There's probably something similar in TWRP if you use that
Primary device: Nexus 4 running Paranoidandroid
Ultimate Nexus 4 Root guide

Secondary device: HTC HD2 running NexusHD2 JB
How to be a new user, and not a noob - Some people REALLY need to read this!
How to flash an HD2 with NAND Android
A guide to all of the terms for the HD2
Android 4.2 keyboard and Camera!
The Following User Says Thank You to Nigeldg For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

thehumble1
Old
Thanks Meter 68
Quote:
You've got the right app. check your /data directory to see what's chewing up space. I bet it's TWRP or other stuff stored by your recovery manager.
N4 / g2x / Nexus 7 / Hx: Nexus S, Wildfire S, HD2, Behold 2, HTC Wizard 8125 then these:

alan-31
Old
(Last edited by alan-31; 31st January 2014 at 10:19 PM.)
Thanks Meter 54
Use this great app to check whats taking up space: Storage analyzer

calypso888
Old
Thanks Meter 3
When u make full backups they won't show up in the system storage scan. Go to the file directly n try deleting an old backup. I guarantee u will see more space available after u do. Each backup is usually about 400-500mb depending on how many apps n other data u have

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

arffrhn
Old
Thanks Meter 721
Or maybe you got shrinkage problem which is pretty normal when upgrading (seeing that you flashed 4.4.2 rom over 4.3 rom). Your 16gb nexus was shrinked to 8gb. The easiest way to fix it is by formatting your internal in recovery (or flash stock recovery and do factory reset). Do make backup of your things though cause you'll lose them.
Samsung Galaxy S Advance i9070 || ROM: HarshJelly || Kernel: Cocore

Google Nexus 4 || ROM: Mahdi-Rom || Kernel: hells-Core // AK POSEIDON series || Recovery: TWRP 2.7.0.0