Straight Talk ATT 4g LTE?

Search This thread

KerryWood34

Aug 16, 2012
Hello everyone,

I did a search in the q&a forums and didn't find anything about this. Is it possible for me to get 4g lte using an att sim card through straight talk? Just today 4g was activated in my area and it would be great to use that instead of my crappy internet connection which is like 3mb download. I know i would need to use either an older radio or a hybrid one for the nexus 4 to have lte functionality, but would it work on straight talk att?

Thank you for your help,
KerryWood34

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

jjchdc

Oct 4, 2009
Kansas City
I don't know about about LTE on AT&T but if you go into Settings-More-Mobile Networks and enable Data Roaming then go to Access Point Names and hit Menu then reset to default you should see a slight increase in a good coverage area. I went from averaging 3 Mbps to 6 Mbps.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: KerryWood34

SpookyTunes

Aug 12, 2009
New York City
Google Pixel 4 XL
Hello everyone,

I did a search in the q&a forums and didn't find anything about this. Is it possible for me to get 4g lte using an att sim card through straight talk? Just today 4g was activated in my area and it would be great to use that instead of my crappy internet connection which is like 3mb download. I know i would need to use either an older radio or a hybrid one for the nexus 4 to have lte functionality, but would it work on straight talk att?

Thank you for your help,
KerryWood34

1) Straight Talk has no LTE, AIO (owned by AT&T and available in limited markets) is the only MVNO with LTE. Otherwise you need Go Phone (AT&T prepaid).
2) It only connects to LTE on 1700 MHz Band 4. Most of AT&T uses 700 MHz Band 17, but there are some Band 4 areas (Puerto Rico and Oklahoma City have been reported).

Best advice is to check if T-Mobile has good coverage in your area (I average 15 Mbps down just on HSPA+), and all of T-Mobile's LTE is on Band 4.

Reactions: KerryWood34

KerryWood34

Aug 16, 2012
I don't know about about LTE on AT&T but if you go into Settings-More-Mobile Networks and enable Data Roaming then go to Access Point Names and hit Menu then reset to default you should see a slight increase in a good coverage area. I went from averaging 3 Mbps to 6 Mbps.

I meant my actual internet connection lol. I have centurylink in the middle of nowhere and their highest speed
is 6mb, but im lucky if i get 4mb. Having 4g would be a godsend because i could use a wireless hotspot for everything.

1) Straight Talk has no LTE, AIO (owned by AT&T and available in limited markets) is the only MVNO with LTE. Otherwise you need Go Phone (AT&T prepaid).
2) It only connects to LTE on 1700 MHz Band 4. Most of AT&T uses 700 MHz Band 17, but there are some Band 4 areas (Puerto Rico and Oklahoma City have been reported).

Best advice is to check if T-Mobile has good coverage in your area (I average 15 Mbps down just on HSPA+), and all of T-Mobile's LTE is on Band 4.

Unfortunately I dont think i get t-mobile coverage where I am. Only ATT. So there's no hope then huh?

Side note, I am half Puerto Rican and half Mexican. You just made me miss my island lol.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Last edited:

kzoodroid

Jun 27, 2010
Kalamazoo
If you live out in the middle of nowhere then you won't be getting LTE form any carrier any time soon. Best you will get is HSPA+ from AT&T. Also Chicago is another area where AT&T is using band 4 as they don't have enough band 17 coverage in that area to serve it properly.

KerryWood34

Aug 16, 2012
If you live out in the middle of nowhere then you won't be getting LTE form any carrier any time soon. Best you will get is HSPA+ from AT&T. Also Chicago is another area where AT&T is using band 4 as they don't have enough band 17 coverage in that area to serve it properly.

I know there is 4g in my area now. Other phones in the house are getting 4g. I was just hoping there was some hope for my wife and I to be able to get 4g as well through ATT. How would i test which band my area is using and assuming I were able to get 4g what would be the steps to getting it on my nexus 4?

b a b a l o o

Apr 16, 2010
straighttalk lte in Hawaii

I know there is 4g in my area now. Other phones in the house are getting 4g. I was just hoping there was some hope for my wife and I to be able to get 4g as well through ATT. How would i test which band my area is using and assuming I were able to get 4g what would be the steps to getting it on my nexus 4?

Just noticed LTE on my wife's HTC One on straighttalk using an AT&T mvno here in Hawaii.
I only did one speed test 7mbs up and down. Pleasantly surprised.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Hello everyone,

Thank you for your help,
    KerryWood34