XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

T-Mobile wifi tethering 4.4

Tip us?

Fera6037
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default T-Mobile wifi tethering 4.4

Has anyone noticed difficulties with wifi tethering on t mobile since update 4.4?

I am using Purity ROM 1/8/14

I was able to bypass the T-Mobile hotspot plan before the update (rooted on purity rom) using pdanet+ but since updating to 4.4 and re flashing the latest purity rom (1/8/14) it takes me right to the tmobile hotspot page informing me that i dont have the feature on my plan. I can get it to work when using usb but pda net has to be set to hide tether usage, it takes me to the same tmobile page otherwise. I just wonder why its not bypassing normally. like it used to.

Is this just a problem within purity rom/4.4 at this point? Has anyone else been able to get wifi tethering working on 4.4?

Berrydroidcafe
Old
Thanks Meter 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fera6037 View Post
Has anyone noticed difficulties with wifi tethering on t mobile since update 4.4?

I am using Purity ROM 1/8/14

I was able to bypass the T-Mobile hotspot plan before the update (rooted on purity rom) using pdanet+ but since updating to 4.4 and re flashing the latest purity rom (1/8/14) it takes me right to the tmobile hotspot page informing me that i dont have the feature on my plan. I can get it to work when using usb but pda net has to be set to hide tether usage, it takes me to the same tmobile page otherwise. I just wonder why its not bypassing normally. like it used to.

Is this just a problem within purity rom/4.4 at this point? Has anyone else been able to get wifi tethering working on 4.4?
This might help.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2416822

Sent from my Nexus 7 (2013)
Blackberry Bold 9780 OS 7
HTC G2 (Desire Z) 4.4.2
LG Nexus 4 4.4.2
Asus Nexus 7 (2013) 4.4.2

Don't forget to hit the Thanks button if I helped in any way!

Fera6037
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks for the help, i looked through the thread. I dont really want to change my radios and enable lte and all that. I just want the tethering to work rooted and on a new rom with the normal radios and hspa connections.

Sfkn2
Old
Thanks Meter 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fera6037 View Post
Thanks for the help, i looked through the thread. I dont really want to change my radios and enable lte and all that. I just want the tethering to work rooted and on a new rom with the normal radios and hspa connections.

The only important part is this:

Adds tether_dun_required fix for tethering on T-Mobile

This is to be applied to the buildprops file under global settings. Tether_dun_required = 0.

DrHero
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Isn't tethering free on t mobile now?

Sfkn2
Old
Thanks Meter 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHero View Post
Not for every plan, no. For example, I'm on a grand fathered plan that needs a tethering add on for 15 a month.

Sent from my Nexus 4, while driving in my Evo9.

korockinout13
Old
Thanks Meter 519

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sfkn2 View Post
Not for every plan, no. For example, I'm on a grand fathered plan that needs a tethering add on for 15 a month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHero View Post
What is the advantage of your grandfathered plan? The new plans are great.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Nexus 5 16GB on T-Mobile LTE: CM 11 + hells-core + TWRP || Nexus 7 2012 32GB: Stock 4.4 + Xposed + franco + TWRP
Nexus 4 (cracked )|AT&T Samsung Galaxy SII i777 (sold)|AT&T Samsung Galaxy S Captivate i897 (sold)

All in One Guide for Samsung i897 Captivate, i9000 Galaxy S
Get extra space on Copy or Dropbox with a new account!

Sfkn2
Old
Thanks Meter 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by korockinout13 View Post
What is the advantage of your grandfathered plan? The new plans are great.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
I'm on subsidized phone/plan, and pay 79.99 for two lines with unlimited data, minutes, and messaging. This means that I paid $50 for a nexus 4 and has an htc one for free on this plan.

Fera6037
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
I am on the $30 monthly prepaid option with unlimited text/data (5gb of 4g) and 100 minutes.

The same issue occured on 4.3 back when i was using paranoid android, so i flashed to a different rom (purity rom) and it tethered just fine.

I was running that for months until the 4.4 updates came out, i flashed everything back to stock for the updates. Rooted and flashed new purity rom and a couple weeks later i tried to use tethering and here we are.

I just dont know if it is an issue now with purity rom the same that was going on previously with paranoid android, or if it is something different with 4.4 or t-mobile