Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,798 Members 48,524 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] thaughts and questions about the charger of the n4

Tip us?

ttheodorou
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 21
Plug [Q] thaughts and questions about the charger of the n4

Helllo guys, i just bought the nexus 4 and i want to know some information about the charger that can extend battery lifetime of our phone.

the first question i have is if the use of another charger (f.e. my old samsung microusb charger not an oem kind from ebay) with different voltage an lower amp output is there any damage to the battery?? i know the when the phone charge up to a point, it sends a signal to the charger and lower the output, so if the charger is not the nexus 4 charger could it affect the battery life time? is it preferable to use an older lg (not nexus 4) charger than a samsung or sony charger?

the second question i want to know is if there is any problem leaving the phone on charger all night. a charge cycle is about 3 hours but is it good to charge it for 7-8 hours??? i know the best approach to maximize your battery lifetime is to charge it up to 80% every time but is overcharging damaging for the battery lifetime?

the third question i have is why the phone is charging MUCH slower when i change the lg microusb cable with another?(i confirmed that with the two others micro usb cables that i have the phone recognize the charger as usb not ac charging). if it's the cable's fault, what cable i must buy not to have this effect?

i am asking this questions because i know the battery cannot be change by me without void the guaranty, and google didn't help me answer all my questions

rirozizo
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1161
1) slow charging won't damage the battery, but instead it will give it more battery lifetime
2) there's no such thing as overcharge becaude android cuts the charger at 100% and then accepts charge when the battery gets to 98%, so it keeps bouncing between 100 and 98, nothing bad will happen
3) slow chargers make this problem and if you're using the phone while slow charging it won't charge, it will drain the battery, but slower than not plugged in. it can be either from the slow charger, or the cable. try using a 1.2A+ charger, and don't use an extension cable, the smaller the cable is, the better

Sent from my Nexus 4

ISOCK youtube channel
ROM Specific Q&A/T Thread Template on the PORTAL

Get a (battery) Life!

Member of Slim Team (Support is never via PM)

Currently working on: Making slimkat in-depth reviews and updates

Phone: Google Nexus4 LG E960 Mako 16GB Black | ROM: Latest Slimkat Build | Kernel: Changing | CPU: Never Overclocked | Recovery: TWRP/MultiROM
Dropbox link <--- click this to get extra space!

My Blog