Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,805,777 Members 41,601 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] First time

Tip us?

Sometimes I dont
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] First time

Hello, I bought my Nexus 4 about a year ago and was always hesitant on trying to "root" it. I am completing new to this and have no idea what to do. The only thing I have come close to this sort of thing was jailbreaking an old iPhone. It was extremely straight forward, I download & install 'X' app. Reboot, app runs and I simply follow the instructions on screen (a series of button pressing). The Nexus 4 seems more complicated but with all the feedback, I'm really curious to see what can be done with a rooted android.

I've read through a few threads but I'm still unsure whether I've successfully completed each step properly. The mainly followed the "Ultimate Nexus 4 Root guide"

1. I installed the ADK onto my computer. (Have no touched the folder ever since)
2. Unlocked bootloader using the no-data-wipe method.
3. Done every step until the "install custom recovery"

It feels like most of the guides are a little outdated because I can't seem to fully follow each step. One example is when I was installing towelroot, the next step is supposed to reboot my device. However, the towelroot app itself indicated my device was succesfully rooted despite not having anything appear on my screen or my device restarting.

Basically, can anyone help/provide a step-by-step guide for a brainless monkey like myself? A video would be a lot better so I could pinpoint where my mistakes are exactly.

mihahn
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2,174
It's right that your phone is rooted now, with the latest version of Towelroot it's no longer necessary to reboot the device (afaik). If you want to have a step by step guide check out my guide on how to root the device without wiping data, you may find the link in the stickies

Devices/Links/Information:

Device:Google Nexus 4 8gb
ROM:Stock Android 4.4.2 [KOT49H]

Device:Google Nexus 7 32gb
ROM:Stock Android 4.4.2 [KRT16O]

Device:Xperia Mini Pro SK17i
ROM: Super Jelly Bean 8.0
Kernel:nAa 2.6 [CWM]

Device:Raspberry Pi Model B

For a Rooting Guide for xperia 2011 devices, click me! | To unlock the Bootloader, click me! | How to install a custom kernel/rom? Click me | Super Jelly Bean 8.0 for xperia mdpi

blusydays
Old
Thanks Meter 55
There are plenty of apps on the playstore to check if your N4 is rooted or still not, you can download and try this one https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...krim.rootcheck
LG Nexus 4
Rom : SimpleAOSP
Kernel version : Sabermod Franco Kernel