Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,783,010 Members 44,548 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Question about SlimKat 4.4.2

Tip us?
 
Excelaration
Old
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 5
Join Date: Jan 2014
Exclamation [Q] Question about SlimKat 4.4.2

Hello guys,

First of all, let me make it clear lol. Even though I have read rules and regulations, I apologize if I may break any rules by posting this here.

Secondly, a newbie at android development here. I recently rooted my nexus 4 and installed SlimKat 4.4.2. After the reboot, it looked pretty normal and everything seemed to be working fine. However, I rebooted my phone second time and the APP MENU and Clock changed their position. APP MENU seemed to have moved to right, rather than on centre. Same thing with Clock. It cannot be placed right in the middle as any normal OS would have (please refer to the pictures). I am aware of the fact that this version of SlimKat is not as stable as 4.3. Therefore, before I flash it to 4.3, I wanted to see if there would be a cure.

My last question is, if I want to install Franco Kernel, would it be compatible with SlimKat 4.4.2?

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-01-29-13-06-05.png
Views:	52
Size:	220.4 KB
ID:	2547082   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-01-29-13-17-54.png
Views:	53
Size:	140.5 KB
ID:	2547083  
 
bladebuddy
Old
#2  
bladebuddy's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 96
Posts: 237
Join Date: Dec 2011
Yes to Franco kernel and you're problem is that slimkat has a different dpi from most stock roms . I haven't installed the rom but I think there may be an option in the settings to change it back , if not its easily done via the build prop . Just Google it. From my following of the thread it seems to be an excellent choice of rom , so change what you need to then enjoy.

Phone : Nexus 4 /Rom : cataclysm / Kernel : Stock.
The Following User Says Thank You to bladebuddy For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Excelaration
Old
#3  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 5
Join Date: Jan 2014
Info 2 I tried but

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladebuddy View Post
Yes to Franco kernel and you're problem is that slimkat has a different dpi from most stock roms . I haven't installed the rom but I think there may be an option in the settings to change it back , if not its easily done via the build prop . Just Google it. From my following of the thread it seems to be an excellent choice of rom , so change what you need to then enjoy.

Phone : Nexus 4 /Rom : cataclysm / Kernel : Stock.
Thanks for the reply man but my curiosity got me. Even before you replied, I tried installing FK r193 and it failed . Like, I rebooted after installation. It was stuck to black screen of death right after the Google's logo. I had to reinstall the ROM in order to overcome the BSOD problem.

Also, do you think I can go back from Slimkat 4.4.2 to Kitkat 4.4.2 (original OS) and then Install FK?
 
arffrhn
Old
#4  
arffrhn's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 721
Posts: 1,514
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Kuala Lumpur
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelaration View Post
Thanks for the reply man but my curiosity got me. Even before you replied, I tried installing FK r193 and it failed . Like, I rebooted after installation. It was stuck to black screen of death right after the Google's logo. I had to reinstall the ROM in order to overcome the BSOD problem.

Also, do you think I can go back from Slimkat 4.4.2 to Kitkat 4.4.2 (original OS) and then Install FK?
That screen you're posting maybe due to the grid dimension change in the launcher. Sometimes it is buggy and changed by itself upon reboot. Seems to be happening across many roms randomly (mostly it changed the grid in appdrawer by itself) using that google launcher. For franco, r193 seems quite old right? Why not try it with the latest one?

Yes, you can just go back to stock 4.4.2. If you had made a nand backup of your stock, then it will be easier. If you don't, then just flash back 4.4.2 factory images or just try other roms. There are many good ones out there.
Samsung Galaxy S Advance i9070 || ROM: HarshJelly || Kernel: Cocore

Google Nexus 4 || ROM: Mahdi-Rom || Kernel: hells-Core // AK POSEIDON series || Recovery: TWRP 2.7.0.0
The Following User Says Thank You to arffrhn For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Excelaration
Old
#5  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 5
Join Date: Jan 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by arffrhn View Post
That screen you're posting maybe due to the grid dimension change in the launcher. Sometimes it is buggy and changed by itself upon reboot. Seems to be happening across many roms randomly (mostly it changed the grid in appdrawer by itself) using that google launcher. For franco, r193 seems quite old right? Why not try it with the latest one?

Yes, you can just go back to stock 4.4.2. If you had made a nand backup of your stock, then it will be easier. If you don't, then just flash back 4.4.2 factory images or just try other roms. There are many good ones out there.
Lol yeah. I finally figured. I downloaded it from a youtube video, and the link he posted was in Aug '13. I m trying to google it but It leads me to xda page where I cant seem to locate the older versions. does FK has a proper website from where I can download latest update? Also, how would I know if I need JSS or JWR? I mean, I tried doing my research and I found the following xda page.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/nexu...5q-vs-t2382880

I'm still confused. But eh, thanks for replying mate. I'm loving this forum!
 
arffrhn
Old
#6  
arffrhn's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 721
Posts: 1,514
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Kuala Lumpur
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelaration View Post
Lol yeah. I finally figured. I downloaded it from a youtube video, and the link he posted was in Aug '13. I m trying to google it but It leads me to xda page where I cant seem to locate the older versions. does FK has a proper website from where I can download latest update? Also, how would I know if I need JSS or JWR? I mean, I tried doing my research and I found the following xda page.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/nexu...5q-vs-t2382880

I'm still confused. But eh, thanks for replying mate. I'm loving this forum!
Jwr/jss is 4.3 kernel. Nothing to worry about that as we are using 4.4+ Here, this is franco's thread. You can get the link for latest build there. Alternatively, you can buy his app (Franco Kernel Updater) in playstore to get updates.
Samsung Galaxy S Advance i9070 || ROM: HarshJelly || Kernel: Cocore

Google Nexus 4 || ROM: Mahdi-Rom || Kernel: hells-Core // AK POSEIDON series || Recovery: TWRP 2.7.0.0
The Following User Says Thank You to arffrhn For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Excelaration
Old
#7  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 5
Join Date: Jan 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by arffrhn View Post
Jwr/jss is 4.3 kernel. Nothing to worry about that as we are using 4.4+ Here, this is franco's thread. You can get the link for latest build there. Alternatively, you can buy his app (Franco Kernel Updater) in playstore to get updates.
Yes! Thanks a lot man. I finally got the Kernel right!
 
arffrhn
Old
#8  
arffrhn's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 721
Posts: 1,514
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Kuala Lumpur
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelaration View Post
Yes! Thanks a lot man. I finally got the Kernel right!
You're welcome. Glad I can help.

Sent from a battery powered device
Samsung Galaxy S Advance i9070 || ROM: HarshJelly || Kernel: Cocore

Google Nexus 4 || ROM: Mahdi-Rom || Kernel: hells-Core // AK POSEIDON series || Recovery: TWRP 2.7.0.0
 
Arju007
Old
#9  
Arju007's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 463
Posts: 588
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Gothenburg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelaration View Post
Hello guys,

First of all, let me make it clear lol. Even though I have read rules and regulations, I apologize if I may break any rules by posting this here.

Secondly, a newbie at android development here. I recently rooted my nexus 4 and installed SlimKat 4.4.2. After the reboot, it looked pretty normal and everything seemed to be working fine. However, I rebooted my phone second time and the APP MENU and Clock changed their position. APP MENU seemed to have moved to right, rather than on centre. Same thing with Clock. It cannot be placed right in the middle as any normal OS would have (please refer to the pictures). I am aware of the fact that this version of SlimKat is not as stable as 4.3. Therefore, before I flash it to 4.3, I wanted to see if there would be a cure.

My last question is, if I want to install Franco Kernel, would it be compatible with SlimKat 4.4.2?

Thanks.
The positioning of the app drawer and clock has to do with the dip. Download textdroider dpi from playstore and change your dpi to 280 and that will fix the missalignment problem.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Arju007 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
arffrhn
Old
#10  
arffrhn's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 721
Posts: 1,514
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Kuala Lumpur
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arju007 View Post
The positioning of the app drawer and clock has to do with the dip. Download textdroider dpi from playstore and change your dpi to 280 and that will fix the missalignment problem.
Or just open build.prop in device/system/build.prop and edit this line
ro.sf.lcd_density=set your value
Samsung Galaxy S Advance i9070 || ROM: HarshJelly || Kernel: Cocore

Google Nexus 4 || ROM: Mahdi-Rom || Kernel: hells-Core // AK POSEIDON series || Recovery: TWRP 2.7.0.0

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes