XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Nexus 4 cannot be recognized as MTP after root

Tip us?

glancer2315
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Unhappy Nexus 4 cannot be recognized as MTP after root

I'm running Windows 7 64bit and followed the Ultimate guide to unlock and root my Nexus 4.

Everything went well but now it looks like that Windows won't recognize my phone as a device. When I plug in the phone, the auto-play window will pop out and recognize it as Nexus 4, but there is no other options. (Normally the auto-play will ask if open folder to view files or transfer photos). I can't see my phone in device manager either.

If I turn on the USB debugging mode, I can see it in device manager but still cannot see it in My Computer. Looks like Windows can't access the SD card at all.

I tried switching to the camera mode but the problem remained. Please help.

glancer2315
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
desperate bump. can anyone help?

Colourkey
Old
Thanks Meter 11
Maybe it's a stupid advice, but have you tried change the USB port in PC?

abaaaabbbb63
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2718
Quote:
Originally Posted by glancer2315 View Post
desperate bump. can anyone help?
Plug in the phone, uninstall the drivers from Device manager, then unplug, and replug.
The Following User Says Thank You to abaaaabbbb63 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

glancer2315
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colourkey View Post
Maybe it's a stupid advice, but have you tried change the USB port in PC?
yes, i did.

glancer2315
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaaaabbbb63 View Post
Plug in the phone, uninstall the drivers from Device manager, then unplug, and replug.
thanks for your advice. the problem is that, without USB debugging mode on, I can't see Nexus 4 in Device manager, even though the Windows Auto-play will say Nexus 4 connected. (Nothing in My Computer either)

With USB debugging mode on, I uninstalled the driver and Windows would try installing the driver. Now it shows up as MTP device with an exclamation mark. I tried manually update the driver (direct it to the Google SDK folder and pick the android_windowsusb.inf) but it says it does not support x64. I don't think the 64 bit driver is digitally signed.

SovereigN7
Old
Thanks Meter 16
I think I had a similar problem as yours. If you deleted the drivers while on debugging mode and reconnected after and it's showing the exclamation mark of a unknown device, try restarting your computer and plugging your phone back in.

glancer2315
Old
(Last edited by glancer2315; 22nd May 2013 at 08:11 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SovereigN7 View Post
I think I had a similar problem as yours. If you deleted the drivers while on debugging mode and reconnected after and it's showing the exclamation mark of a unknown device, try restarting your computer and plugging your phone back in.
i did and it remains the same.

Is there anyway I can know all the files names of the drivers so that I can manually delete them from system folder? When I uninstalled it from the device manager, I don't see the option "Delete the driver software for this device".

I can still see it under "adb devices" list.

glancer2315
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
I think there are some conflicts in the drivers.

Now when I connect Nexus 4 (without USB debugging mode on), it will show up in device manager under Android Device.

With USB debugging, it will then show up under Portable Devices.

However, it's supposed to work the other way around. that is (no USB debugging --> portable device; with USB debugging --> Android Device).

How can i solve this?

fernandezhjr
Old
Thanks Meter 409
Have you tried manually installing the drivers before plugging in the phone, vs letting windows choose the drivers it wants to install? One option you could try is installing PDA Net on your pc. It will install reliable drivers on your pc.