Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] New to me 3G status of data?

OP FightingChance

4th September 2014, 11:14 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 5

46 posts
Google store Nexus 4 on T-Mobile pre-pay plan. Stock Android 4.4.4.

My statuses for mobile data were either 'H', or nothing at all (just bars). For the first time ever I am seeing a '3G' mobile data icon in the bar but I don't think the phone has been updated or changed in any other way - I'm not really concerned as much as puzzled as to what is different now.
4th September 2014, 11:25 PM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
BROOKLYN!
Thanks Meter: 22,838

27,441 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FightingChance

Google store Nexus 4 on T-Mobile pre-pay plan. Stock Android 4.4.4.

My statuses for mobile data were either 'H', or nothing at all (just bars). For the first time ever I am seeing a '3G' mobile data icon in the bar but I don't think the phone has been updated or changed in any other way - I'm not really concerned as much as puzzled as to what is different now.

H is hspa(or HSPA+), i dont remember if the n4 has an H+ for hspa+. anyways, that is 3G, but a faster version, like 3.5G. H+ is faster than H, and consists of data download speeds near LTE speeds, but slower upload than LTE. so if you are seeing a 3G now, then youre on a slower network.
5th September 2014, 12:56 AM   |  #3  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 5

46 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by simms22

H is hspa(or HSPA+), i dont remember if the n4 has an H+ for hspa+. anyways, that is 3G, but a faster version, like 3.5G. H+ is faster than H, and consists of data download speeds near LTE speeds, but slower upload than LTE. so if you are seeing a 3G now, then youre on a slower network.

I know what the speeds/radios are and what they mean; I wasn't clear enough in my question then.

For the life of this phone on T-Mobile, they've elected to show either 'H' or nothing at all to denote the lower tier GSM connectivity; I'm wondering why, now, they (or some firmware update to the towers, or ?) have elected to start putting '3G' on the status. I've just never had it before. Can others on T-Mo speak to this?
5th September 2014, 01:07 AM   |  #4  
Recognized Contributor
BROOKLYN!
Thanks Meter: 22,838

27,441 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FightingChance

I know what the speeds/radios are and what they mean; I wasn't clear enough in my question then.

For the life of this phone on T-Mobile, they've elected to show either 'H' or nothing at all to denote the lower tier GSM connectivity; I'm wondering why, now, they (or some firmware update to the towers, or ?) have elected to start putting '3G' on the status. I've just never had it before. Can others on T-Mo speak to this?

because ot wasnt in your area befote, but it is now? no one can really answer the question, as each of us have unique situations. maybe a neighbor or someone that lives nearby can answer.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread