FORUMS

Touch input broken- alternative input methods?

660 posts
Thanks Meter: 5

By Dishe, Senior Member on 27th August 2015, 03:08 PM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
I was given two Nexus 4 units with fractured glass to tinker with- I'd like to use them to just run a data processing app as a lower powered server. The problem is that the touch input appears to be completely dead on one unit, and only 30% of the screen responds to touch on the other!
I can't even get past the welcome screen, which is problematic. Can someone help me come up with a way to get an alternative input? I just want to get in far enough to install the app and run it, I'm thinking either via remote desktop or keyboard/mouse via OTG cable.
Both units have stock roms, which means USB debugging is off and apparently OTG support doesn't exist either. I'm feeling like I hit a brick wall here. Is there anything I can do, or are these units useless? Can a custom rom with OTG support be installed perhaps through recovery? Any ideas or suggestions would be helpful, thanks!

27th August 2015, 07:04 PM |#2  
Flag Chennai
Thanks Meter: 13

More
Try the phone which works 30% screen by rotating in 90 degrees or 180 degree and then try to select the menu options. If it works then you can try for something.

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Tapatalk
Yesterday, 09:18 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pm_dsp_ra

Try the phone which works 30% screen by rotating in 90 degrees or 180 degree and then try to select the menu options. If it works then you can try for something.

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Tapatalk

Problem is that the homescreen doesn't rotate. I needed to click "next" in the bottom right corner to advance past the welcome screen, and I couldn't!

But I was able to pull down the top bar and get into settings from there, and turn on USB debugging. Once I did that, I downloaded and ran a remote control app that I could sideload with ADB and set up what I wanted to run there. So at least I got ONE working. But the other one which has no touch input working at all, I'm just hitting a brick wall with that one.

Is there no way to install a custom rom with a non-functional screen?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread