5,606,297 Members 32,797 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Touch Screen Sensitivity

Tip us?

reddv1
Old
(Last edited by reddv1; 3rd December 2012 at 09:06 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 334
Default Touch Screen Sensitivity

Here is a fix to increase sensitivity http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2027476

Does you Nexus 4 touch screen not seem as sensitive as galaxy nexus? On mine it's not sensitive to light touches.

When I first bought the phone I had trouble pulling down the notification drawer, but dismissed it because I thought I touched under the screen. However, in the Gmail app today trying to click 'show pictures in message' it wouldn't register my touch as I do it really quick when I open a message. Also, the keyboard misses s few letters if I don't press harder on the screen.

I tested it by placing my finger on the screen very lightly but still feeling the screen on my finger and no touches registered until I pressed down harder. My Galaxy Nexus screen on the other hand is so sensitive, that before I even feel the screen it registers a touch.

Also, tested it on multi touch tester app and light touches wouldn't register.

Anyone else having this issue or is it just me?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
Phone: Nexus 4 16 GB
Carrier: T-Mobile USA
ROM: AOKP
Kernel: [KERNEL][MOD] Increase Touchscreen Sensitivity 4.2.2

AOKP Kangs Nexus 4&7
The Following User Says Thank You to reddv1 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

whittikins
Old
Thanks Meter 131
I'm still waiting to get mine, but I hope you're able to get this resolved because that's really frustrating.

Bumping to see if anyone else has this issue.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

mrjeffery
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Yeah, I'm not finding the screen as sensitive as my Galaxy S2 either. Certainly have to press a little harder for touches to register.

whittikins
Old
(Last edited by whittikins; 16th November 2012 at 12:59 AM.)
Thanks Meter 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjeffery View Post
Yeah, I'm not finding the screen as sensitive as my Galaxy S2 either. Certainly have to press a little harder for touches to register.
I don't understand why they wouldn't make sure to get this right (lg). Missing taps especially when typing is extremely annoying.

The Galaxy Nexus actually experienced an intermittent bug (pre 4.2) that decreased the screen sensitivity tempoarily. Details here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1576739

Quote:
You can view the pressure by going to Settings -> Developer Options -> turn on Pointer Location. This will allow you to see the Prs of each tap in your status bar. Normally your lightest taps that register will show anywhere from 0.28 to 0.32. However, after this bug is activated, you will mostly get values over 0.40 for your light taps. This is actually a very noticeable increase, especially when trying to type quickly.
Would you mind testing this on the N4? Thanks!

reddv1
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by whittikins View Post
I don't understand why they wouldn't make sure to get this right (lg). Missing taps especially when typing is extremely annoying.

I know what you mean. And I've gotten so used the galaxy nexus that I'm missing many taps while typing. I missed a few letter while typing this message.

AOKP Kangs Nexus 4&7

whittikins
Old
Thanks Meter 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddv1 View Post
I know what you mean. And I've gotten so used the galaxy nexus that I'm missing many taps while typing. I missed a few letter while typing this message.

Check my edit above in case you didn't see it. Would you mind testing the PRS value?

reddv1
Old
(Last edited by reddv1; 16th November 2012 at 01:51 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 334
Quote:
Check my edit above in case you didn't see it. Would you mind testing the PRS value?
I just tested it and the lowest value I could get was 0.48 PRS. I could touch the screen and nothing get detected until I pressed down.

With Galaxy Nexus I can touch the screen with my nail using the back of my finger and get a response.

Nexus 7 PRS: 0.01
Galaxy Nexus PRS: 0.28
Nexus 4 PRS: 0.48
Nexus S PRS: 0.06

AOKP Kangs Nexus 4&7
The Following User Says Thank You to reddv1 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

whittikins
Old
Thanks Meter 131
Quote:
I just tested it and the lowest value I could get was 0.48 PRS. I could touch the screen and nothing get detected until I pressed down.

That's awful. People were noticing that values over .40 (for lightest taps) were noticeable when typing (me being one of them). This means the nexus 4 is even less sensitive than the galaxy nexus when the bug was present!!

I really hope this can be addressed in an update, but I'm worried that it's a hardware issue. Every manufacturer needs to use the iPhone as a standard regarding screen sensitivity...

reddv1
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 334
Quote:
That's awful. People were noticing that values over .40 (for lightest taps) were noticeable when typing (me being one of them). This means the nexus 4 is even less sensitive than the galaxy nexus when the bug was present!!

I really hope this can be addressed in an update, but I'm worried that it's a hardware issue. Every manufacturer needs to use the iPhone as a standard regarding screen sensitivity...

I updated the values for all my nexus devices.

It is awful, I hope there is a software that can at least improve the sensitivity. I wondered if anyone can look at the kernel source code and adjust the values. I look in the commits and see if I can find any mention of touch sensitivity.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

AOKP Kangs Nexus 4&7

whittikins
Old
Thanks Meter 131
Quote:
I updated the values for all my nexus devices.

It is awful, I hope there is a software that can at least improve the sensitivity. I wondered if anyone can look at the kernel source code and adjust the values. I look in the commits and see if I can find any mention of touch sensitivity.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
I found some people having similar issues with the Optimus G, which is what the Nexus 4 is based on. By any chance does this only occur when you have it plugged in?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...t=touch+screen

The Following User Says Thank You to whittikins For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]