Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,732,619 Members 51,939 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

The ultimate Nexus 4 digitizer failure thread

Tip us?

NamNamNom
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 33
Default The ultimate Nexus 4 digitizer failure thread

I've been using this phone for around 14 months now. I've always thought about how LG managed to build a phone like this and sell it for 300 bucks. Well two days ago I got the answer. The lower part of my screen just stopped functioning, thus disabling my buttons. I searched for this problem and found a MASSIVE thread on google support forums about this. Basically the lower part of the digitizer just goes full retard. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. And when it doesn't work it makes the entire phone lag (on a custom rom)(it doesn't work 95% of the time).

To fix this i tried to make the navbar slightly bigger, but that resulted in a growth of the defected part. And using PIE or button saviour is just a pain for me.

I made this thread to let people know that this problem exists. If the next Nexus phone is made by LG, I'm buying something else.

This is an open discussion, so anyone with a similar problem/fix can post.

CCody
Old
Thanks Meter 76
I really dont know, what you guys actually do with your phones. I am using my nexus 4 for about 1 and a half year now, has been dropped twice with two scratches on the edges - no screen broken, no bootloop ever, no nothing. I can say of myself that I am not the friend of bumpers or screen protectors or any of those ugly things. I also flash a lot, try out a lot of apps - my nexus 4 has seen it all.
But not only the nexus 4, also my previous phones are fine and they still work (a nokia 5130 xpress music and a sony ericsson u10i). Thats why I thing a phone is just as good/stable/great as the user do. Of course there are a lot of issues out there but I think they dont appear from nowhere.
Device: Google Nexus 4
ROM: CyanogenMod 11
Kernel: HellsCore

maulich
Old
(Last edited by maulich; 17th July 2014 at 05:40 PM.)
Thanks Meter 162
4 nexus 4's in the family most almost 2 years old......never a problem. This kind of crap reminds me of the " my back glass just exploded on its own" thread. Let's not make blanket statements.....digitizers on phones malfunction all the time....on all brands, probably due to your mistreatment.

crashDebug
Old
(Last edited by crashDebug; 20th July 2014 at 04:10 PM.)
Thanks Meter 31
I do not understand the point of blaming it on the user though. Yeah, many phones from different brand have digitizer issues. Yeah, digitizers fail. But if a lot (and I mean a lot) of users are complaining on the same exact issue there is a manufacturing problem for sure. And it's pretty clear that you did not bother checking the related thread at google's support forum, otherwise you would notice how many "mistreating", as you say, users are all having the same digitizer issues in exactly the same part of the screen. Now, does that mean that every nexus 4 sold will have the digitizer fail at some point or another? absolutely not. Maybe its' only one every 100, or even 1.000 or 10.000. Maybe it was a defect of a relatively small batch of screens (seems legit since the issue always occurs after a certain amount of months), that were sold in a period where you didn't buy the your four statistically (ir)relevant devices.

when will you guys understand that just because your phone does not have the issue, doesn't mean that NO phone has that issue??
(and even if it's not one but 5, 10 phones, how much relevance do you think it has compared to the hundreds of thousands of shipped devices?)

for what matters to the actual thread, anyway, I read LG replaces the defective devices under warranty without fuss. If the device is out of warranty, a diy repair is pretty easy to people savvy with tools.
Anyway, there is a couple threads here that talk about the issue:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/nexus-4/help/q-t2810588
http://forum.xda-developers.com/nexu...sults-t2822075
3210 (still alive and well) > 7110 (sold) > 6600 (sold) > 6600 (sold) > n70 (still alive and well) > hd (sold) > streak (alive but broken) > sensation xe (sold) > nexus S (sold) > desire (sold) > nexus 4 + g pad