Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread

[Q] How to sideload kernel with USB Debugging enabled?

13th February 2015, 08:24 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

1 posts
Hi all,
I greatly need your help or some advice. I searched for more than 6h yesterday and Im surprised I couldnt find a solution to my problem.

Typical stuff : I broke the screen of my Nexus 4, that is completely stock 5.0.1. The phone is unrooted, bootloader is locked and obviously USB Debugging is disabled.

I need to backup some data from my phone : pictures, notes and if possible my contacts.

When I connect my phone via USB to my PC, I cant browse my files since my screen is locked. My screen is not responding at all, so no way I can unlock it. Only thing I can do is install new applications on my phone, but no way to launch them since I'd need to unlock my screen again.

I have installed adb and fastboot in order to try and use Android Screen Control, but I dont have USB Debugging enabled.
So I read that I could sideload a kernel that has USB Debugging enabled by default.

I got into Recovery Mode, and tried sideloading a zip file containing a Kernel found on the forum, but I always get an error saying the footer is wrong and the signature of the file didnt pass verification. I guess I can only sideload OTA updates ?
I tried fastbooting CWM recovery, that also didnt work.

adb devices command lists my 'recovery' device.

At this stage, all I need is to either be able to unlock my phone so I can access my files via USB (i tried few apps without success), or to enable USB debugging so I can connection using sideload, use Android Screen Control, reset the pattern lock, and backup my phone.

Also, USB OTG isnt enabled by default on Nexus 4, so that's another dead-end

So what are my options ? Where could I find a kernel that has USB Debug enabled, and how can I sideload it considering phone is not rooted, and bootloader is locked (unlocking it and whipping data defies the purpose).

THANK YOU for any advice!
14th February 2015, 12:08 AM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
Minnetonka, MN
Thanks Meter: 4,386

12,377 posts
Donate to Me
There is nothing you can do with a locked bootloader and no custom recovery. Sorry man, but you're not going to be able to access your data.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using XDA Free mobile app
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread