Unofficial builds

11th February 2014, 01:46 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Southport
Thanks Meter: 178

1,275 posts
Why are so many people bringing out unofficial builds of current roms?
There is nothing wrong with this but the original makers are normally available and IMO better. If you want to make a rom instead of jumping on someone's work why not make your own from scratch?
I my self take roms and add to them, cherry picking the best things of others for my own use but I'd never put them up as my own work.
There are even unofficial nightlys for goodness sake!
Am I the only one who thinks this? Id love to know...... :P

Sent using reversed alien technology...
11th February 2014, 05:45 PM   |  #2  
Flag Cleveland Ohio - San Diego Ca
Thanks Meter: 230

1,025 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard bamber

Why are so many people bringing out unofficial builds of current roms?
There is nothing wrong with this but the original makers are normally available and IMO better. If you want to make a rom instead of jumping on someone's work why not make your own from scratch?
I my self take roms and add to them, cherry picking the best things of others for my own use but I'd never put them up as my own work.
There are even unofficial nightlys for goodness sake!
Am I the only one who thinks this? Id love to know...... :P

Sent using reversed alien technology...

What would you say about the original, (custom rom builder if I understand correctly) who use the original maker of the base, in this case Google? You have to start somewhere. Sometimes a rom might not do everything you want it to, so you tweak it. Some people want to share their creation.

A lot of Apple fans wish that had/have the freedom to do this.

Sent with my Nexus® 10 minus 3
14th February 2014, 09:36 AM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Southport
Thanks Meter: 178

1,275 posts
I do it my self. I don't put them up. There is nothing wrong with taking the Google base and rebuilding. What I'm on about some one has a hit rom, Next there are tons of unofficial ones with the same name. That's all

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
14th February 2014, 12:35 PM   |  #4  
Kuala Lumpur
Thanks Meter: 721

1,514 posts
Unofficial because the original team was late in delivering the kitkat update. Take liquidsmooth for example. You can find there are unofficial nightly of this rom because liquid team doesn't update it frequently. So my friend @rwaempires and @mnajem took their time compiling it. Recently, liquid team has started to maintain official updates for this device but they also gave permission for rwaempires to continue compile nightly build for faster updates. That all there is to it imo.

Edit: Anyway, don't you think that they just want to give back something to the community? Isn't that what we do here? Learn and then contribute back. Nothing wrong there and it is a good thing. If you have your builds, maybe you could share them and see what people think of it.
Last edited by arffrhn; 14th February 2014 at 12:39 PM.
14th February 2014, 01:07 PM   |  #5  
Flag Bagan Datoh, Perak
Thanks Meter: 726

678 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard bamber

I do it my self. I don't put them up. There is nothing wrong with taking the Google base and rebuilding. What I'm on about some one has a hit rom, Next there are tons of unofficial ones with the same name. That's all

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

not even a sin unless the original dev pissed with your uploads

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
Last edited by mnajem; 14th February 2014 at 01:38 PM.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread