Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,734,036 Members 51,852 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Unsuccessful Nandroid Backup Eats Up Memory Space

Tip us?

james.abcde
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Question [Q] Unsuccessful Nandroid Backup Eats Up Memory Space

Hi everyone,

I have a situation here with my Nexus 4. I am running CWM Recovery 6.0.4.3 and AOKP nightly builds. I was using Stock ROM before AOKP. That time, before I upgraded I was trying to make a nandroid backup. I had around 7GB free space before performing the backup. Eventually the backup went wrong, it said "Error while backing up /data". I don't know what to do so I just reboot and re-run the backup process, but it still gave me the same error. I then boot into my phone and realized something... my free memory space has lessened to around 2GB only! I then decided not to make the backup and just flash my ROM to AOKP. I thought this will clear the problem, but it's not.

So, my question is, how to clear this used space? I checked in the nandroid backup folder and found absolutely nothing there, so it must be somewhere else... Any help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance

jamel_tza
Old
Thanks Meter 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by james.abcde View Post
Hi everyone,

I have a situation here with my Nexus 4. I am running CWM Recovery 6.0.4.3 and AOKP nightly builds. I was using Stock ROM before AOKP. That time, before I upgraded I was trying to make a nandroid backup. I had around 7GB free space before performing the backup. Eventually the backup went wrong, it said "Error while backing up /data". I don't know what to do so I just reboot and re-run the backup process, but it still gave me the same error. I then boot into my phone and realized something... my free memory space has lessened to around 2GB only! I then decided not to make the backup and just flash my ROM to AOKP. I thought this will clear the problem, but it's not.

So, my question is, how to clear this used space? I checked in the nandroid backup folder and found absolutely nothing there, so it must be somewhere else... Any help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance
Just as you said, it must be somewhere. Check other folders or even the rood of the virtual SD card. If you still don't find anything you may have to factory reset the device and wipe the SD card partition. Before you jump the gun though, make sure (assuming you're using windows as your PC OS, show hidden folders.

audit13
Old
Thanks Meter 345
Did you check of have a Clockworkmod folder? Each time you create a backup, it creates a new folder with a new time stamp.

Use a file manager to delete the unnecessary or aborted backups. The backup folder should be visible with having to use an app such as Root Explorer.