XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Can't Update to 4.4

Tip us?

ILowry282
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default Can't Update to 4.4

I got a Nexus 4 today. It is currently on 4.3. I've rooted the phone and installed TWRP recovery. I tried flashing the 4.4 zip and I get a failed message. I can't figure out why. Can someone help?

albundy2010
Old
Thanks Meter 1856
Yes.

Don't even bother trying to figure out why. You just got the phone. Flash the factory images for 4.4.2.

Not sure why you would get a phone and root it / modify it first, instead of just updating.

But anyways. Your bootloader is already unlocked. Flash factory images. Reroot and do whatever you want after.

ILowry282
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by albundy2010 View Post
Yes.

Don't even bother trying to figure out why. You just got the phone. Flash the factory images for 4.4.2.

Not sure why you would get a phone and root it / modify it first, instead of just updating.

But anyways. Your bootloader is already unlocked. Flash factory images. Reroot and do whatever you want after.
It wouldn't update. I thought about doing that first but it said the update was "waiting to download". Where can I get the factory image to 4.4.2?

ILowry282
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILowry282 View Post
It wouldn't update. I thought about doing that first but it said the update was "waiting to download". Where can I get the factory image to 4.4.2?
The "factory image" from google is a tgz file. Not a zip file. WTF?

albundy2010
Old
Thanks Meter 1856
Factory images are flashed with fastboot, not a custom recovery or stock recovery.

Extract that file. Take everything that comes out and put it in your directory that has fastboot in it.

Put the phone in fastboot..... Run the flashall. Bat

That will wipe everything off the phone and put stock on it. If you don't want it to wipe your data ( not sure why you wouldn't since you just got it and probably don't have all your junk on it...) you can edit that script by removing the - w part in it.

It's very simple.

ILowry282
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by albundy2010 View Post
Factory images are flashed with fastboot, not a custom recovery or stock recovery.

Extract that file. Take everything that comes out and put it in your directory that has fastboot in it.

Put the phone in fastboot..... Run the flashall. Bat

That will wipe everything off the phone and put stock on it. If you don't want it to wipe your data ( not sure why you wouldn't since you just got it and probably don't have all your junk on it...) you can edit that script by removing the - w part in it.

It's very simple.
Haha! Simple maybe for you. What exact commands to I type in terminal (I have a mac)? I know all commands need to start with ./fastboot-mac

badboy47
Old
Thanks Meter 683

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILowry282 View Post
The "factory image" from google is a tgz file. Not a zip file. WTF?
Unzip the file with 7zip. Run the flash -all file. Let it do its magic.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

ILowry282
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy47 View Post
Unzip the file with 7zip. Run the flash -all file. Let it do its magic.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
I get a text file.

albundy2010
Old
Thanks Meter 1856
It's a script which is text. If it doesn't run automatically in terminal or bash ( whatever the hell they call it these days on osx) then make it run with it

As long as your fastboot file itself is there it will run.

audit13
Old
Thanks Meter 268
I think you need to be completely stock (other than unlocked bootloader) to receive OTA updates.

I was on CM10.2 and needed to return the phone to stock. I flashed back to stock 4.3 and was able to update to 4.4.2 with no problems.