5,599,677 Members 46,922 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Upgrade to KitKat from rooted and LTE hacked 4.3?

Tip us?

gezeebeezee
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Upgrade to KitKat from rooted and LTE hacked 4.3?

Hello all!

I just got the push for the 4.4 upgrade on my phone but I wanted clear a few things up before I commit. I'm currently on a rooted 4.3 with a modded radio for LTE. Is it safe to just run the OTA update from my phone? Or is there another proper way to prevent bricking? How should I go about this?

Thanks guys!

pjc123
Old
(Last edited by pjc123; 27th November 2013 at 12:23 PM.)
Thanks Meter 36
There are a lot of variables such as programs and versions installed, but I tried the OTA under similar conditions as you (In my case I was rooted, hybrid 27/84 radio, unlocked bootloader, TWRP, Koush's superuser, and otherwise stock 4.3) and it just didn't work. I even reverted back to the old radio before I tried it, but it might be the modified build prop or LTE activation that caused the problem. The OTA did not brick my phone or cause any other problems, it just didn't change anything on my 4.3 install. I could see while the update was running that it failed right after examining my existing install, so it didn't like something with my existing system config. I then did the following from the advice on this forum and my upgrade to 4.4 went flawlessly (Post #13):

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...2542998&page=2

Sfkn2
Old
Thanks Meter 47
I just flashed the entire image of the os on top and didn't lose data. On twtp, LTE back, unlock boot loader from 4.3.

Sent from my Nexus 4, while driving in my Evo9.