[Important] USB OTG / USB2Go - host mode for Nexus 4?

OP Androidmarketuser

31st October 2012, 11:10 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 194

309 posts
View the last 2 pages for good information, ATM USB OTG DOES NOT WORK, but maybe (or propably) it is a software issue, which can be resolved...
View last pages

================================================== ===========

I think the last Nexus devices were able to host USB drives such as usb sticks etc., so do you think that it will be possible with this one?
16gb would be more than enough for me if I only use it for rom, apps, pictures and music but 720p movies won't have enough place (maybe just 1 or 2).
Is USB host mode maybe available for nearly every device (maybe only after another kernel)?
And I read somewhere that it is possible to host usb drives with "Nexus Media Importer", but it is also possible to access them via ES File Explorer for example or maybe even with Play Movies / Play Music?

At the moment I use HTC Desire (smaller movies at ~1gbyte), slowly it's time for an upgrade and this would be a must-have for me otherwise I won't buy it atm...
Maybe with USB OTG I could buy only 8gb, that would be really nice because 50 (65USD) for 8gb is really expensive :/

Thanks for (hopefully incoming) answers
Last edited by Androidmarketuser; 20th November 2012 at 09:24 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Androidmarketuser For This Useful Post: [ View ]
1st November 2012, 05:34 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 19

201 posts
+1
Planned to ask the same, but you opened a topic already
1st November 2012, 08:05 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 6

119 posts
More
Also with this if anyone knows. Can you access a OTG source from a recovery like CWM or TWRP? That would make the 16GB meaningless.
The Following User Says Thank You to SSMI For This Useful Post: [ View ]
1st November 2012, 09:29 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 12

43 posts
Yes the Nexus 4 supports usb OTG (and you probably won't need a custom kernel for this)
Yes you can use ESFile explorer and run everything from your hard drive

I think latest TWRP offer OTG support but I'll probably never use it since you may "brick" your phone if the flash fail and not sure if otg is perfectly stable...
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Xmalek For This Useful Post: [ View ]
1st November 2012, 09:50 AM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 194

309 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmalek

Yes the Nexus 4 supports usb OTG (and you probably won't need a custom kernel for this)
Yes you can use ESFile explorer and run everything from your hard drive

Thanks for the answer
Is the USB drive automatically mounted?
And is the media on it displayed in medi player apps like Music or MX Player or do I have to click on each single file with ES file explorer to play it?
The Following User Says Thank You to Androidmarketuser For This Useful Post: [ View ]
14th November 2012, 11:08 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 3

5 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmalek

Yes the Nexus 4 supports usb OTG (and you probably won't need a custom kernel for this).

Where have you got this information?? I can say out the box OTG is not working. Anyone have any ideas yet?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nicknamewinder For This Useful Post: [ View ]
15th November 2012, 01:21 AM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 35

144 posts
Would it be possible to have a Nexus 4 case with a microSD slot that connected via USB OTG?
The Following User Says Thank You to benjdm For This Useful Post: [ View ]
16th November 2012, 09:54 AM   |  #8  
Flag Hannover
Thanks Meter: 14

125 posts
More
For me an attached normal USB Flash Drive (8GB) did not work. Even the light of the flash drive did not a single blink.

I am not sure if the Nexus 4 provides Voltage for usb devices.
The Following User Says Thank You to ElectricAndi For This Useful Post: [ View ]
16th November 2012, 11:15 AM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 12

269 posts
More
Just to confirm, the Nexus 4 does not support USB OTG out of the box. Just tested it myself - works fine on the missus' Galaxy S2, but not on my Nexus 4.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Barguast For This Useful Post: [ View ]
16th November 2012, 11:32 AM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 64

309 posts
More
I'm fairly certain that you still need to be rooted for it to work properly, as with the Nexus 7.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread