5,598,908 Members 30,501 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Important] USB OTG / USB2Go - host mode for Nexus 4?

Tip us?

cobyman7035
Old
Thanks Meter 123
So is it 100% confirmed? No otg ever

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda premium
8gb NeXus⁴ 4.4 kitkat fully stock
16gb NeXus 7 FHD w/ TWRP 2.6.3.1 signed-razor-KRT16S-from-JSS15Q 4.4.2 KK w/ ElementalX v2.6 kernel @1.736 ghz UV800 using ART mode
32gb NeXus 5 white rooted/unlocked TWRP v2.6.4.3 touch , 4.4.2 KOT49H kk stock, franco kernel r32 w/ ART UVing 1.5ghz max cpu vomer
samsung galaxy gear black watch w/ Null v23 rom

thesavvymage
Old
Thanks Meter 3

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobyman7035 View Post
So is it 100% confirmed? No otg ever
Yeah pretty much. Google changed the support page today to say they will work over bluetooth, not USB.

Wishlist for a perfect android phone: Stock Android | MicroSD Slot | Big Battery | DONE!
Nexus 4 was so close...

gilgamesh0
Old
(Last edited by gilgamesh0; 7th December 2012 at 03:15 AM.)
Thanks Meter 9
Thereby showing what it's worth when someone from tech support assures someone of "definitive" information. :P Not worth the paper it's not printed upon.

The 180 upon published information by just changing the description online without any kind of an announcement/acknowledgement of the issue is pretty pathetic behavior, though, and is making me wonder.. because upon reflection, it's pretty much what I expected. And yet If it were MS or Apple, for instance, for all their faults, I would be quite surprised by that. So I'm left wondering whether this has actually lowered my opinion of Google, or if my opinion was in fact already rather low to begin with.

I guess the next bit of discovery will be whether it's just the 5v connection that's missing and at least the other connections needed for host communication are still present, leaving open the -- awkward and crappy, but perhaps still useful for some purposes -- option of a connection with a peripheral powered by a Y cable.
[Edit: Oops, upon consideration, since MTP etc. are available, I guess the data connections needed must be present, since host & device mode both use the same data connections (at least I'm certain of that for full speed, pretty sure is the same for high speed also). So I guess in principle it must be doable, as others have suggested.]

What's sort of funny is that even developers implementing features using USB host on Android will be forced to use a ramshackle setup like that, if they are doing their development on the new "flagship" development phone by Google. Well, "funny" in a sad, pathetic way, anyway.

kayateia
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Yeah, it's pretty pathetic. I'd hoped the fiascos were done when I finally received my phone, but it appears not. Broken OTG, MIA Slimport adapters, flaky MTP support... I haven't even seen anyone test Miracast yet, because apparently there are almost no adapters or TVs out there

All I can say is that for the price I paid, this is still a really nice phone. It's a damned shame that they didn't make it an amazing phone while they were at it. I paid nearly this much for my Nexus S, and this is still a huge upgrade, but it's not quite the amazing I was hoping for (building a dockable laptop, basically, using Linux-on-Android tools).

thesavvymage
Old
Thanks Meter 3

DONATE TO ME
I may be wrong... but shouldnt this be illegal?

They clearly advertised something, sold a bunch of product, and then pulled the statement from their pages as if it were never fact...

Wishlist for a perfect android phone: Stock Android | MicroSD Slot | Big Battery | DONE!
Nexus 4 was so close...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thesavvymage For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Explore3
Old
Thanks Meter 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by parker09 View Post
It doesn't work.

Star this Android issue: http://code.google.com/p/android/iss...sort=&id=40087
Quote:
Originally Posted by sga999 View Post
I'm wondering what's going on about fixing this issue also. And I'm surprised there aren't more outraged people discussing it here. Is everyone just waiting to see what happens, or have they resigned themselves to not having USB otg? I really wanted this feature since there was no micro SD slot.

Does anyone know if there's some "official" place where Google will post/is posting info about this issue? I don't think calling Google play will help much...we've already seen posts here about their responses, i.e. yes, it will work, no, it won't. So it seems like there must be a way to get a definitive answer on whether it will work with some kind of software change? Or different cable? Or new hardware?
Doubt that anything will help, but it only takes a couple of seconds to star the issue. (see 1st quoted post above)
| Nexus 5 |
| Nexus 7 LTE (2013) |

zymo
Old
Thanks Meter 35
So after the bad news of unsupported hardware what are the options?

1) Send the device back to Google and look for alternatives.

2a) Keep and deal with it

2b) Keep it and look for a wifi drive.

Alexander T.
Old
Thanks Meter 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by zymo View Post
So after the bad news of unsupported hardware what are the options?

1) Send the device back to Google and look for alternatives.

2a) Keep and deal with it

I really consider quit using Nexus phones, since they are getting worse with each release. Also, every major update of Android is bringing lot of bugs and headache. I don't want to be an alpha tester anymore! At the time the new release gets full dev support and bug fixes, there are much better and mature products out in the market. Looks like my next phone would be the Samsung S4 or even Sony (why not?). Shame on Google for such a disregarded attitude towards their loyal customers. They better stick with doing what's they're good at, that is - software.

n7of9
Old
Thanks Meter 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by zymo View Post
this, and then you never have to worry about it again and can use it for all current and future devices
.Nexii. N5 stock rooted, Xposed and Gravity box - i feel so free!! || N7 CleanROM v4.0 || N7.2 Minimus

tom1807
Old
Thanks Meter 17
I admit I am pretty disappointed by reading this, but however, I still have my Nexus 7 and this supports OTG.
And since I have it, my current mobile is just used as a mobile.
I see the Nexus 4 just as an addition to complete my Nexus 7