5,597,937 Members 38,565 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Important] USB OTG / USB2Go - host mode for Nexus 4?

Tip us?

tonybhoy
Old
Thanks Meter 61
Default Re: [Important] USB OTG / USB2Go - host mode for Nexus 4?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skezza View Post
I thought Nexus Media Importer worked with the N4?
it does

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

togardergrosse
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybhoy View Post
it does

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2
Almost shocked with joy. Then I did some digging.
Quote:
Nexus Media Importer allows copying and/or streaming from a USB connected device via an OTG cable without rooting.

Nexus Media Importer will be evolving rapidly. Please be patient as new features are implemented over time. Many of the features I intend to implement will be ambitious and challenging, not all will be smooth. Again I ask for your patience. This faq will be updated as changes are implemented.
Which Android Devices Work?
Works: Nexus 7, Nexus 10, Galaxy Nexus, Motorola Xoom, Sony Xperia (Models P and S)
Works with conflict: Samsung S3, Archos G9 (me)
Does Not Work: Toshiba Thrive, Nexus S, Nexus 4
Reported Not Working: HTC One X (several)

Nexus 4: The Nexus 4 does not support OTG and USB Host. Without this, Nexus Media Importer will not work. Please Google "Nexus 4 OTG" for more information.
Silly me..

skezza
Old
Thanks Meter 87
I've heard of people using the Nexus Media Importer on the Nexus 4 though :S I'm sure I saw someone on YouTube too!

Looks like OTG is out of the question then.

thesavvymage
Old
Thanks Meter 3

DONATE TO ME
Ah well, I have given up hope. The non-removable battery isnt an issue to me. Lack of LTE is not an issue. All I really wanted was either a mSD slot, or usb OTG. Oh well, maybe the next nexus will deliver the OTG capabilities. With the price of the Nexus line, it isnt so hard to upgrade every year. when 2013's nexus comes out (if there is one) the n4 will probably still sell for 200+ on ebay.

Wishlist for a perfect android phone: Stock Android | MicroSD Slot | Big Battery | DONE!
Nexus 4 was so close...

skezza
Old
Thanks Meter 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesavvymage View Post
Ah well, I have given up hope. The non-removable battery isnt an issue to me. Lack of LTE is not an issue. All I really wanted was either a mSD slot, or usb OTG. Oh well, maybe the next nexus will deliver the OTG capabilities. With the price of the Nexus line, it isnt so hard to upgrade every year. when 2013's nexus comes out (if there is one) the n4 will probably still sell for 200+ on ebay.
Very true!

Misledz
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 8307

DONATE TO ME
Lets hope 4.2.2 fixes this issue. I love OTG and it makes it so much easier to dump my Tibu's on a flashdisk.

skezza
Old
Thanks Meter 87
i dont think it will be

crazzzik
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by wewewi999 View Post
..Feel free to shell 200-300$ more on a device that supports those, and have fun hoping you'll get updates!

Wires are SO 2012, dude!

Get a Qi charger, a Miracast adapter, a Bluetooth mice, keyboard, and game controllers .. and maybe some unlimited data connection!!!
That will run you about $300-400 + a backpack full of batteries. Oh, and what about extra memory?

frankbel
Old
Thanks Meter 46
Any news on this issue?

CaptainMuon
Old
Thanks Meter 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbel View Post
Any news on this issue?
See http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2151159

Got it sort of working, but you need a Y cable and have to switch it on manually. I'm still trying to figure out how to get it to work with regular usb mode at the same time.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CaptainMuon For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]