[Important] USB OTG / USB2Go - host mode for Nexus 4?

Search This thread

Androidmarketuser

Oct 21, 2010
View the last 2 pages for good information, ATM USB OTG DOES NOT WORK, but maybe (or propably) it is a software issue, which can be resolved...
View last pages

=============================================================

I think the last Nexus devices were able to host USB drives such as usb sticks etc., so do you think that it will be possible with this one?
16gb would be more than enough for me if I only use it for rom, apps, pictures and music but 720p movies won't have enough place (maybe just 1 or 2).
Is USB host mode maybe available for nearly every device (maybe only after another kernel)?
And I read somewhere that it is possible to host usb drives with "Nexus Media Importer", but it is also possible to access them via ES File Explorer for example or maybe even with Play Movies / Play Music?

At the moment I use HTC Desire (smaller movies at ~1gbyte), slowly it's time for an upgrade and this would be a must-have for me otherwise I won't buy it atm...
Maybe with USB OTG I could buy only 8gb, that would be really nice because 50€ (65USD) for 8gb is really expensive :/

Thanks for (hopefully incoming) answers ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: dabbu

SSMI

Aug 25, 2010
Also with this if anyone knows. Can you access a OTG source from a recovery like CWM or TWRP? That would make the 16GB meaningless.

Xmalek

Feb 15, 2010
Yes the Nexus 4 supports usb OTG (and you probably won't need a custom kernel for this)
Yes you can use ESFile explorer and run everything from your hard drive

I think latest TWRP offer OTG support but I'll probably never use it since you may "brick" your phone if the flash fail and not sure if otg is perfectly stable...

Androidmarketuser

Oct 21, 2010
Yes the Nexus 4 supports usb OTG (and you probably won't need a custom kernel for this)

Thanks for the answer :good:
Is the USB drive automatically mounted?
And is the media on it displayed in medi player apps like Music or MX Player or do I have to click on each single file with ES file explorer to play it?

benjdm

Mar 10, 2012
Would it be possible to have a Nexus 4 case with a microSD slot that connected via USB OTG?

ElectricAndi

Dec 18, 2006
Stuttgart
For me an attached normal USB Flash Drive (8GB) did not work. Even the light of the flash drive did not a single blink.

I am not sure if the Nexus 4 provides Voltage for usb devices.

Jan 12, 2010
There's an app called "nexus media importer" on the play store for otg

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 4G

guest_2011

Jul 20, 2012
i've read/heard somewhere that not all usb otg dongles are the same. some work better than others? i ordered a cheap 5 pin on ebay. don't have n4 or the dongle yet to test.

jimmyz

Jun 29, 2007
Has anyone tried stick mount (needs root)?

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Answer from google

Just got off of a long call with customer support. I pressed the issue until I got a firm answer. I was told that usb otg will be fixed and that it is a software issue. The rep stated that that was definitive and that they had just acknowledged the issue in the last 24 hours.
    It appears to be a firmware issue, and the device *should* support it, according to somebody inside Google (not an official statement).

If you want to get OTG support on the Nexus 4 fixed, please star the bugreport here: http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=40087&colspec=ID Type Status Owner Summary Stars
    using a OTG y cable is just completely un-convenient.

Plus I don't want to be on a plane and have to pull out a multitude of devices and wires to consume my media and the guy next to me is worried for his life because it looks like I'm putting together an explosive.
    Hi all...just a few comments to make on all of this.

The USB host capabilities are part of the Qualcomm processor/chipset. The ones in the N4 support USB host mode.

Snapdragon S4 Pro APQ8064: https://developer.qualcomm.com/discover/chipsets-and-modems/snapdragon

The spec sheet lists USB OTG, but the way N4 is setup, it does not technically support OTG. I made a post not to long ago on a similar thread about USB OTG/host: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=33618150#post33618150 and I mention that in order to be considered USB OTG (per the USB Consortium), the connector used needs to be of the type AB (micro AB) and if I remember correctly, charging is not allowed through the connector. I reference the Nokia N810 and N900 as examples of this...N810 was an actual USB OTG device because it had USB micro AB port and had separate charging jack. In order for USB host mode to work on N810 you needed an A type micro USB cable/dongle. The A type cables have an extra pin tied to ground (or something like that) and when plugging into device, it would automatically know to be a host versus a slave. But, there was a way to use a type B cable/dongle (what N4 and most every other phone/tablet has) for host mode purposes...but there was a software command that had to be run first before doing so.

So, what I'm getting at is N4 is technically not an OTG device, but the hardware does support USB host capabilities and it might be possible to enable the capabilities in software (either through a command, most likely at root level, or worst case, a mod to the kernel and/or custom ROM).

Key word is "might"...don't hold me to anything, but I tend to be more of an optimist. Hope this helps.

I think latest TWRP offer OTG support but I'll probably never use it since you may "brick" your phone if the flash fail and not sure if otg is perfectly stable...