XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

WIFI speed drop with ASUS RT-N56U

Tip us?

yugimonster
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Default WIFI speed drop with ASUS RT-N56U

I'm on stock 4.4.2 rooted with franco r199 running on the .98 baseband. Using an Asus RT-N56U router (upgraded to the latest firmware - 3.0.0.4.374_979), running on both 2.4GHz and 5GHz.

When I first setup my router, I can get download speeds of up to 55Mbps using the 5GHz channel. Pretty good. However, in less than an hour, when I do another Speedtest, the download speed drops to 10Mbps.

My temporary fix is to tweak the Control Channel in the router, setting it manually to 40/44/48 etc. Right after a soft reboot of the router, my download speed goes back to 55Mbps.

However, the problem recurs every time, and it's frustrating that I have to always switch around the channels in my router settings page just to get my download speeds back up. The speeds before and after the drop are consistently similar.

I have tested on 2 other phones (Samsung Galaxy Note N7000 and Motorola Atrix). Neither of them has this problem with the router, and when the speed drops to 10Mbps for my Nexus 4, it stays at around 50Mbps for the two phones.

I tried flashing back to the older radios (.48, .84, .97) but the speed does not improve. Still requires the channel changing mentioned above.
I have used Padavan firmware for the router before and the problem recurs as well.

Any suggestion?

yugimonster
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Just an update. My WIFI speed will temporarily go back up to 55Mbps when I go under Advanced under Wi-Fi Settings and toggle between Auto, 2.4GHz and 5GHz.

It's looks to me like an alternative temporary fix just like changing the channels in the router settings.

I mention temporary because the speed drops back to 10Mbps after a while.