Wireless Charging Orb Slipping?

OP quentin0

18th February 2013, 02:37 AM   |  #41  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 42

142 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by americasteam

This is false. I have a Lumia 920 and the charging plate. There is no magnetic pull when charging either my Lumia or nexus 4 on the plate. In fact, the nexus 4 is rather slippery when it's on the plate. If put on off center it would slip off.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

What are you even talking about? What did that have to do my comment at all? How does your Nexus 4 sliding off of your charging plate mean that the orb has magnets?
18th February 2013, 03:07 AM   |  #42  
Flag Bowling Green, KY
Thanks Meter: 346

1,225 posts
More
Re: Wireless Charging Orb Slipping?
Quote:
Originally Posted by quentin0

What are you even talking about? What did that have to do my comment at all? How does your Nexus 4 sliding off of your charging plate mean that the orb has magnets?

I guess I quoted the wrong post. We actually agree on the subject. ;O)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
19th February 2013, 07:16 AM   |  #43  
Thanks Meter: 14

232 posts
Okay, here's my experience.

Day 1 was like the posts where it works great. Super sticky, would pull the base when lifting the phone.
Day 2 still worked like a charm. No idea of any issues.
Day 3 charged phone, and then grabbed phone much later, and surprised I was 1/2 full. Didn't think much of it.
Day 4 morning, phone had stopped charging Reset device, and was charging. 30 min later it stopped.

After which, I saw this thread, and the sliding issue. I grabbed orb, and lo and behold. My phone was slipping. I did not have the awesome suction of the 1st day. If my phone slips to the 1/2 way point, it stops charging (before hitting desk). It now slips faster, and has less grip. Also slips when horizontal.

I may try a full battery drain, and full proper USB charge. See if it changes anything.

I was happy the first 2 days. :/

Hmmmmmm....

-oldsk00lz
19th February 2013, 07:41 AM   |  #44  
Flag Torrance, CA
Thanks Meter: 334

624 posts
More
Here's the ridiculous reply from Google for a warranty exchange I requested and here's a video I made that I also provided to them https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxcH...e_gdata_player

Quote:

Hello,

Thank you for contacting us. Unfortunately I can't issue you a replacement for the broken charger because it is accidental damage which is not covered under the warranty of the Nexus 4

If you have any other questions or concerns please feel free to reply to this email and I would be happy to help you with any other issues you have for me.

Thanks,

Cole
The Google Play Support Team

19th February 2013, 08:08 AM   |  #45  
Flag San Bernardino, California
Thanks Meter: 165

1,085 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddv1

Here's the ridiculous reply from Google for a warranty exchange I requested and here's a video I made that I also provided to them https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxcH...e_gdata_player

lol.... how could "Cole" possibly get the idea the orb was accidentally damaged from a time lapse video?

google customer service -_-

Why would they make the orb such a steep incline then expect sticky material not to naturally get dust on it. Seems like they don't even bother testing these things.
19th February 2013, 08:20 AM   |  #46  
Flag Logan
Thanks Meter: 287

1,235 posts
More
Quote:

What the hell, that almost sounds like he doesn't even realize the charger is covered under it's own warranty.
19th February 2013, 05:07 PM   |  #47  
Flag Pleasant Hill
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
More
My Nexus 4 slips off the Orb also.
I'm not using any case, and I'll just set it there at night, but by the time I wake up it's been discharging almost the entire night.

The first time I unpackaged it, there did seem to be a magnetic "stick" to it. I was able to put the phone on it, and practically hold it sideways without it moving at all. Now if I tilt it, the phone falls off. I'd like to see if anyone else here successfully gets a replacement from Google, or is all hope lost on this thing?

I'm still within 15 days, so I might just refund it, if it appears to be a problem for everyone else.
19th February 2013, 05:30 PM   |  #48  
Thanks Meter: 39

161 posts
I knew this would happen, the glass is too slick for this stupid implementation. Yours is probably a little dirty, if its not medically sterile then it probably wont stick for long periods. I got an RMA phone recently and didnt take the plastic cover off the back this time, so it sticks like glue for now, if I use the front of the phone its not nearly as sticky.

and no it doesnt have magnets....

The sites that say it does are referencing a prototype version long before the Nexus 4 even came out.

Put a piece of paper/plastic over the charger and see if theres any hold. There isnt. Take it a step further and get a MAGNET and try, nothing, not even any metal for the magnet to hold on to.

RMA's arent going to do anything, the design is flawed. Although it wont hurt to RMA since it means more wasted money for Google, the only thing that will get them to change the stupid design is wasted money. So RMA away.
Last edited by idividebyzero; 19th February 2013 at 05:53 PM.
19th February 2013, 06:26 PM   |  #49  
Flag Sioux Falls
Thanks Meter: 32

177 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by USSENTERNCC1701E

Clearly you don't understand inductive charging. The coil in the charger creates a magnetic field, which induces a current in the coil in the phone. Even if charger does not contain a permanent ferromagnet, or the phone; the two coils still become magnetic because of the current in the coils. Don't call people idiots when you are ignorant yourself. It may not be a significant force, but it is non-zero.

Ok kids, lets do a little test.
Grab Android Sensor Box from the Play store.
Fire up the Magnetic Senors.
You will see the world around you registers around 50ish μT (microTesla)
Grab a magnet and put it on/near the back of the phone and see how the levels climb.
Now for the fun sciencey part.
Put the phone on the Orb and make sure it is charging.
Now tell me again about magnetic fields created by inductive charging.
19th February 2013, 07:09 PM   |  #50  
Thanks Meter: 50

177 posts
Quote:

I have a question for people that don't have the slipping problem. Does your phone stop daydreaming after the phone is fully charged for a while, like overnight? Really like the feature as a clock on my night stand.

No. Yes. Sometimes. Really... I use mine on my nightstand and use the 'clock' daydream. Sometimes when I wake up it's daydreaming, sometimes it's not, and sometimes I wake up to my alarm (obviously foils the 'test'). I also believe the orb to behave in a similar manner to the LG charger -- charge to 100%, then let go down to ~95%, then charge again. So between my half-awakened state, the alarm foiling the tests, and unknown charging parameters and if daydream will kick off then back on based on QI charging, I can't say for sure.

Now I feel like I shouldn't have replied. Anyone else have a similar/different experience?

The Following User Says Thank You to dispatch For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
nexus 4, orb, qi charger, wireless charger
Previous Thread Next Thread