Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,401 Members 38,289 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Wireless charging Orb

Tip us?

americasteam
Old
Thanks Meter 338
Default Re: Wireless charging Orb

I'm afraid everyone wanting to use a case with this charger will be sadly disappointed. Common sense tells me it won't hold to the base with the back covered.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

rubik
Old
Thanks Meter 18
Wink Panasonic chargepad

I just ordered this Qi charger from Panasonic

http://www.japantrendshop.com/panaso...ce-p-1216.html

In my opinion, it's the coolest qi charger around . It has a moving coil, so you can place it anywhere on the pad (search youtube for Panasonic Chargepad) . I also ordered their wireless mobile charger as an accessory.

Here are some demos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gIQCP7tivQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=an7lWob6ZrE
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chargepad.jpeg
Views:	783
Size:	4.1 KB
ID:	1725399  

Enhanced
Old
Thanks Meter 256

Quote:
Originally Posted by americasteam View Post
I'm afraid everyone wanting to use a case with this charger will be sadly disappointed. Common sense tells me it won't hold to the base with the back covered.

It all depends on the strength of the magnets which we don't know. I'd say it's less likely, but not to the level where common sense can help us.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda premium

Greefus
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubik View Post
I just ordered this Qi charger from Panasonic

http://www.japantrendshop.com/panaso...ce-p-1216.html

In my opinion, it's the coolest qi charger around . It has a moving coil, so you can place it anywhere on the pad (search youtube for Panasonic Chargepad) . I also ordered their wireless mobile charger as an accessory.

Here are some demos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gIQCP7tivQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=an7lWob6ZrE
I got that too. As soon as I saw the youtube videos I had to have it. It's actually kind of cheap considering how much it was when it came out a year or so ago. I like the robot function of it and you can just chuck stuff on to it in any direction. If you have multiple QI devices it does one, and then the next. The only thing I don't like is how it stops charging for good once the phone is charged. Ordered the orb just because of that. Someone in the other thread recommended getting one of those cheap intermatic a/c timer's so it turns on like an hour or so before you wake up. I might still prefer that Panasonic mat with the timer if the orb is all clumsy.

andy o
Old
Thanks Meter 117

I'm starting to think Qi is too smart for its own good. The phone should be able to apply a trickle when it's full, not the charger, just like regular USB chargers and even the Touchstone. The Touchstone just outputs 5v and doesn't care if there's a phone at the other end. Also other Qi chargers having trouble with certain phones probably wouldn't be an issue.

everett_psycho
Old
Thanks Meter 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enhanced View Post
It all depends on the strength of the magnets which we don't know. I'd say it's less likely, but not to the level where common sense can help us.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda premium
I'm starting to think the magnets won't be strong enough, this might explain why Google are suddenly selling bumpers for the phone instead of cases, I'm holding off on the orb, I've git my maxell pad that works good enough for me, if the pads or orb fall in price I'll consider a second but I'm happy with the one

ryan stewart
Old
Thanks Meter 59
Suddenly? I think Google only sold a bumper, ever. And my logic would be that they don't want to cover up the pretty back. I doubt they designed everything around some magnets in a charger.

---------- Post added at 11:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:57 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cor-master View Post
Google really needs to find a way to provide free shipping, I was more than willing to pay for it on my Nexus 7, not thrilled with a $350 phone costing $390 after it was said and done, but now with the accessories, it seriously makes them less attractive. I understand they aren't a retail company and thus don't ship enough stuff to get a discount from ups or FedEx but still their are ways, like partnering with another retail company, or having a free shipping option that takes say a week instead of 2 days. Also almost any nexus product you gotta wait a while for it to ship anyway so I feel like I'm getting ripped on 2 day shipping. Sorry but in my book 2 day shipping mean I get my product 2 days after I ordered it.

Go buy another $350 unlocked phone then, I bet everyone else gives free shipping on all of the other $350 unlocked phones on the market.

munkybeatz
Old
Thanks Meter 13
I'm really surprised that the Orb hasn't sold out yet. It seems that I'm always late on the ball when it comes to devices being available on the play store. I only found out that it was being sold this morning and I managed to snag one, Woot! The receipt says "shipping within a week". I've been waiting for this orb to be available. I like how it looks, hopefully it performs beautifully as well. I was very close to purchasing two of these, just because I want one at home and work. However; I just know that with my luck if I grabbed two then there would be some defect with this initial shipment. So, I'm helping everyone out by only getting one, and probably not being able to get a second one due to sell out. This really is how my luck works out. It'll be an awesome device if I only get this one.
The Following User Says Thank You to munkybeatz For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Techno79
Old
Thanks Meter 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cor-master View Post
Sorry but in my book 2 day shipping mean I get my product 2 days after I ordered it.
May be this is just in the US, but in UK when I placed my order for the N4, it was only about 43 hours from point of ordering to receiving the N4 in my hands which I thought was amazing. The website listed it with a 1 to 2 week dispatch delay so I was genuinely impressed. Having said that, I did purchase the N4 in the 3rd wave of stock. The delivery was a complete shambles for the phones in the 1st wave. I think the 2nd wave was a lot better than it should have been (because people from the 2nd wave were receiving phones before those who were still waiting in the 1st wave and thus those people from the 2nd wave should have been waiting longer). But the 3rd wave in the UK has been really sorted. The phone is still showing in stock and delivery times seem to be quite quick despite the websites 1 to 2 week dispatch indication.

milk242
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Just received shipping notice, ordered Feb 11th 11pm PST.

Can't wait!