Wireless charging Orb

Tip us?

M3ta7h3ad
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Default Wireless charging Orb

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyijedi View Post
Exactly. Are people concerned about battery degradation if using the orb to charge all the time? How bad is it for the battery for these continuous trickle charges?
IMO it's better this way, continually charging a phone when its already at max capacity (the USB wall charger is not "smart" as far as I know) is bad. That said the above is based on only my opinion, I've no real idea which is better aside from my experience in charging other li-ion devices.

sashank
Old
Thanks Meter 561
Default Re: Wireless charging Orb

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3ta7h3ad View Post
IMO it's better this way, continually charging a phone when its already at max capacity (the USB wall charger is not "smart" as far as I know) is bad. That said the above is based on only my opinion, I've no real idea which is better aside from my experience in charging other li-ion devices.
From what I know, over-charging doesn't happen if you leave the phone plugged in all the time. That's the way we use laptops too, and they have similar batteries. The charger and phone both have charging protection circuitry which prevent the phone from ever over-charging. It works like this - phone charges to 100%, supply is cut off, the battery discharges a little, then charging starts again. This cycle keeps happening. Li-ion batteries unlike NiCd ones can be charged at any level and any number of times. There's no memory effect. So it doesn't affect the battery. The batteries will naturally degrade over time though like any other battery.

If I'm wrong, someone who knows better can please correct me.

Sent from my Desire HD using xda premium

nyijedi
Old
Thanks Meter 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3ta7h3ad View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sashank View Post
From what I know, over-charging doesn't happen if you leave the phone plugged in all the time. That's the way we use laptops too, and they have similar batteries. The charger and phone both have charging protection circuitry which prevent the phone from ever over-charging. It works like this - phone charges to 100%, supply is cut off, the battery discharges a little, then charging starts again. This cycle keeps happening. Li-ion batteries unlike NiCd ones can be charged at any level and any number of times. There's no memory effect. So it doesn't affect the battery. The batteries will naturally degrade over time though like any other battery.

If I'm wrong, someone who knows better can please correct me.

Sent from my Desire HD using xda premium
I'm still a little confused regarding how charging via the USB plug works vs the wireless charging. That is, the USB charging seems to maintain 100% once it reaches it, as opposed to dropping down a few percent, then charging back to 100%, and so on with the wireless charging. That is, it seems like charging via USB doesn't do a trickle charge, while wireless charging does a trickle charge. With the former, I assume that there is no actual battery cycle going on once it reaches 100%, whereas with the wireless charger, the battery incurs more battery cycles since it constantly drops a few percent and goes back up.

apolloms
Old
Thanks Meter 5
so my N4 made a noise the first time i put it on the orb, but hasn't since....how can i make that come back? or did it just make a noise because when i put it on the charger i was under 20%?

nyijedi
Old
Thanks Meter 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by apolloms View Post
so my N4 made a noise the first time i put it on the orb, but hasn't since....how can i make that come back? or did it just make a noise because when i put it on the charger i was under 20%?
I think I read that it makes a noise if it's under 95%, but I'm not totally sure.

apolloms
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyijedi View Post
I think I read that it makes a noise if it's under 95%, but I'm not totally sure.
definitely not the case, i put it on at 60% yesterday and no noise

El Daddy
Old
(Last edited by El Daddy; 17th February 2013 at 07:01 PM.)
Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 2742
Default Re: Wireless charging Orb

Quote:
Originally Posted by apolloms View Post
definitely not the case, i put it on at 60% yesterday and no noise
It definitely is the case. If the charge is below 95% it will chime if you have your sound on. On vibrate or silent it won't chime.

Here is the commit: https://android.googlesource.com/pla...base/+/84e2756

apolloms
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Daddy View Post
It definitely is the case. If the charge is below 95% it will chime if you have your sound on. On vibrate or silent it won't chime.

Here is the commit: https://android.googlesource.com/pla...base/+/84e2756
there is something wrong with mine then, just tested it again, 88% battery, max volume, put it on orb and no noise

ryan stewart
Old
Thanks Meter 59
Mine def turns the screen on and makes a warble when I put it on when under 95%. Over that nothing happens. However, if I turn the screen on manually it starts charging (no sound made) and continues charging with the screen off. I can confirm this with light flow.

powerdoesntrun
Old
Thanks Meter 20
Without getting into an heated argument, I'd like to share some information.

I talked to two different Google support representatives and both of them said even the official bumper and charging orb are not meant to work together, and that they expect you to take the case off in order to charge the phone.

Tell me that's not kind of messed up. In the very least, a disclaimer would have been nice.