5,605,835 Members 47,755 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q]Wont boot after failed 4.4 OTA Update (Bootloader Unlocked, CWR)

Tip us?

acidr4in
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default [Q]Wont boot after failed 4.4 OTA Update (Bootloader Unlocked, CWR)

Hi guys,

I unlocked my Bootloader, installed Clockwork Recovery a while back. Still had Vanilla Android on it.

Today I updated it, there was an error shown in the Clockwork recovery during the update, I rebooted the device.
Now I am stuck in the 4.4 Bootscreen.

How can I get a Recovery Image on my Phone now? (Booting in Recovery works without any issues)

When I reset my device is all the data in the sdcard folder gone? If so is there a way to back some of it up now?

Thanks

NissanskylineN1
Old
Thanks Meter 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidr4in View Post
Hi guys,

I unlocked my Bootloader, installed Clockwork Recovery a while back. Still had Vanilla Android on it.

Today I updated it, there was an error shown in the Clockwork recovery during the update, I rebooted the device.
Now I am stuck in the 4.4 Bootscreen.

How can I get a Recovery Image on my Phone now? (Booting in Recovery works without any issues)

When I reset my device is all the data in the sdcard folder gone? If so is there a way to back some of it up now?

Thanks
Its best to do a clean flash and delete all your data. Phone vs Pics? I'd take the phone. Besides, some stuff is backed up by Google servers. Follow this:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2010312

arffrhn
Old
Thanks Meter 637
You can't update OTA while having cwm. OTA can only be completed using stock recovery or twrp recovery. Cwm haven't had this ability yet. Just follow the guide given in a post above and flash kitkat factory images. All your problems will be solved. Or, you can use this guide ( http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2527142 ) and delete the -w to save your data.

For your second question, if you factory reset using stock recovery, then yes, it will wipe clean your sd card. If you reset using cwm/twrp, then no, it won't wipe your sd card and your pics, music will all still be intact.
Samsung Galaxy S Advance i9070 || ROM: HarshJelly || Kernel: Cocore

Google Nexus 4 || ROM: Mahdi-Rom || Kernel: hells-Core || Recovery: TWRP 2.6.3.3

acidr4in
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by arffrhn View Post
You can't update OTA while having cwm. OTA can only be completed using stock recovery or twrp recovery. Cwm haven't had this ability yet. Just follow the guide given in a post above and flash kitkat factory images. All your problems will be solved. Or, you can use this guide ( http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2527142 ) and delete the -w to save your data.

For your second question, if you factory reset using stock recovery, then yes, it will wipe clean your sd card. If you reset using cwm/twrp, then no, it won't wipe your sd card and your pics, music will all still be intact.
thanks both of you i kept using this method, -w didnt seem to work properly so I wiped it comleetly now it boots up propperly

thanks again

aznpro
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidr4in View Post
thanks both of you i kept using this method, -w didnt seem to work properly so I wiped it comleetly now it boots up propperly

thanks again
How did you wipe your phone completely? I actually have the same problem you had.

aznpro
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by aznpro View Post
How did you wipe your phone completely? I actually have the same problem you had.
nvm, i figured it out.