Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Thread Closed

[DEVS ONLY] Nexus 4 camera recording v0.2 (AVC high profile & LEVEL 4) (60FPS)

OP Shaky156

21st February 2013, 07:47 PM   |  #21  
Thanks Meter: 99

396 posts
Question
Question....

In doing research on the differences between AVC medium and high profiles, it appears that HP is preferred because of higher bitrates (max 25 vs 20), better compression ratios and better algorithms (i.e. stuff don't understand like 88 vs. 44 transform adaptivity and Quantization scaling matrices).

Having little experience in comparing MP and HP my question is should we expect a significant increase in video quality by switching to HP on the N4?
21st February 2013, 07:58 PM   |  #22  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 1,949

930 posts
Donate to Me
More
Re: Nexus 4 camera recording(AVC high profile & LEVEL 4) (kernel)
Use this media profile
http://db.tt/gmKTXiqQ

Should be accessible just copy it over anndddd give it a test
Ive done some more work so there may be an update sometime...

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
The Following User Says Thank You to Shaky156 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st February 2013, 08:00 PM   |  #23  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 1,949

930 posts
Donate to Me
More
Re: Nexus 4 camera recording(AVC high profile & LEVEL 4) (kernel)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamUpNorth

Question....

In doing research on the differences between AVC medium and high profiles, it appears that HP is preferred because of higher bitrates (max 25 vs 20), better compression ratios and better algorithms (i.e. stuff don't understand like 88 vs. 44 transform adaptivity and Quantization scaling matrices).

Having little experience in comparing MP and HP my question is should we expect a significant increase in video quality by switching to HP on the N4?

It will make a difference noticeable to the eye

22nd February 2013, 12:08 AM   |  #24  
Flag San Jose
Thanks Meter: 194

1,156 posts
More
Re: Nexus 4 camera recording(AVC high profile & LEVEL 4 achieved!) (60FPS tests)
Is it possible to improve picture quality on the camera? I'm not very happy with mine.

Transmission sent from my badass Nexus 4.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pheno.menon For This Useful Post: [ View ]
22nd February 2013, 12:47 AM   |  #25  
Thanks Meter: 7

31 posts
Any chances, we get in touch with the source?
The Following User Says Thank You to cguru For This Useful Post: [ View ]
22nd February 2013, 05:39 AM   |  #26  
Flag Quezon City
Thanks Meter: 141

396 posts
More
Re: Nexus 4 camera recording(AVC high profile & LEVEL 4 achieved!) (60FPS tests)
And can instant HDR pictures be achieved anytime soon?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda premium
22nd February 2013, 05:50 AM   |  #27  
Orlando, FL
Thanks Meter: 329

2,076 posts
60 fps no way

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app
22nd February 2013, 05:57 AM   |  #28  
Flag Overland Park
Thanks Meter: 243

1,134 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamUpNorth

Question....

Not sure about some of it but I can tell you that the higher bit rate helps with limiting the grainy video you see at times. 25Mbps is really about all you need at 1080p, any higher only makes for large files but no better quality.

60fps? Negative. Honestly we can all get into a long debate over it but I'll save you the trouble - its dumb. No need for it in video. This isn't a high action game. Even the cinema standard is 24fps. Besides our hardware caps at 30. Just like most other phones. Drop to 30 again - the software drops frames anyway so you'd need to record Bruce Lee fighting to test and see if we can hit 60fps at all.

The source would be great since the media encoding is embedded in the kernel it seems. Not in the .apk like the "old" days. Maybe see if we can get the audio sampling up to 192 or 320, instead of the lackluster 96 (seriously Google, wtf...)

Lastly, there should be options for the FFC. What can we for for that?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KCRic For This Useful Post: [ View ]
22nd February 2013, 06:35 AM   |  #29  
Thanks Meter: 92

434 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCRic

Not sure about some of it but I can tell you that the higher bit rate helps with limiting the grainy video you see at times. 25Mbps is really about all you need at 1080p, any higher only makes for large files but no better quality.

60fps? Negative. Honestly we can all get into a long debate over it but I'll save you the trouble - its dumb. No need for it in video. This isn't a high action game. Even the cinema standard is 24fps. Besides our hardware caps at 30. Just like most other phones. Drop to 30 again - the software drops frames anyway so you'd need to record Bruce Lee fighting to test and see if we can hit 60fps at all.

The source would be great since the media encoding is embedded in the kernel it seems. Not in the .apk like the "old" days. Maybe see if we can get the audio sampling up to 192 or 320, instead of the lackluster 96 (seriously Google, wtf...)

Lastly, there should be options for the FFC. What can we for for that?

60fps is a matter of opinion. Personally I deinterlace all my 30i media to 60p, and it looks great. 24fps (or rather, 23.976fps) in cinema is just a matter of tradition, rather than any technical superiority. We might see this trend changing soon with The Hobbit being recorded at 48fps.

Anyway, the Padfone 2 with the same APQ8064 is capable of 720p at 60fps, so unless the hardware limitation you are talking about is with the camera module, the hardware encoder in the APQ8064 should be capable of 720p 60fps recording.
The Following User Says Thank You to Logi_Ca1 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
22nd February 2013, 06:53 AM   |  #30  
Flag Vancouver
Thanks Meter: 2,444

5,059 posts
More
Agreed^^

60fps works be very handy on a phone.. since I'm not recording a feature length film lol

Sports, action, tons of stuff could benefit.

Hell 60fps slow motion would be bad ass!

The Following User Says Thank You to ChongoDroid For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Thread Closed Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread