5,604,631 Members 42,292 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[DEVS ONLY] Nexus 4 camera recording v0.2 (AVC high profile & LEVEL 4) (60FPS)

Tip us?

AdamUpNorth
Old
Thanks Meter 92
Question....

In doing research on the differences between AVC medium and high profiles, it appears that HP is preferred because of higher bitrates (max 25 vs 20), better compression ratios and better algorithms (i.e. stuff don't understand like 88 vs. 44 transform adaptivity and Quantization scaling matrices).

Having little experience in comparing MP and HP my question is should we expect a significant increase in video quality by switching to HP on the N4?
Nexus 5 | Stock 4.4.2 | Unlocked/Rooted | Rogers Network
Nexus 7 (2012) | CyanogenMod 10.2| Unlocked/Rooted
Previous Phones: Xperia X10, Xperia Arc, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 4
My Stickies: Nexus 4 Case Impressions (9 Cases) Updated June 7th, 2013

Shaky156
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1761

DONATE TO ME
Default Re: Nexus 4 camera recording(AVC high profile & LEVEL 4) (kernel)

Use this media profile
http://db.tt/gmKTXiqQ

Should be accessible just copy it over anndddd give it a test
Ive done some more work so there may be an update sometime...

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
The Following User Says Thank You to Shaky156 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Shaky156
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1761

DONATE TO ME
Default Re: Nexus 4 camera recording(AVC high profile & LEVEL 4) (kernel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamUpNorth View Post
Question....

In doing research on the differences between AVC medium and high profiles, it appears that HP is preferred because of higher bitrates (max 25 vs 20), better compression ratios and better algorithms (i.e. stuff don't understand like 88 vs. 44 transform adaptivity and Quantization scaling matrices).

Having little experience in comparing MP and HP my question is should we expect a significant increase in video quality by switching to HP on the N4?
It will make a difference noticeable to the eye

Pheno.menon
Old
Thanks Meter 159
Default Re: Nexus 4 camera recording(AVC high profile & LEVEL 4 achieved!) (60FPS tests)

Is it possible to improve picture quality on the camera? I'm not very happy with mine.

Transmission sent from my badass Nexus 4.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pheno.menon For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

cguru
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Any chances, we get in touch with the source?
The Following User Says Thank You to cguru For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

wtfshouldidonow
Old
Thanks Meter 135
Default Re: Nexus 4 camera recording(AVC high profile & LEVEL 4 achieved!) (60FPS tests)

And can instant HDR pictures be achieved anytime soon?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda premium
Don't forget to press Thanks if I helped!

Crisisx1
Old
Thanks Meter 304

60 fps no way

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app
Device: T-Mobile LG/Google Nexus 4
Rom: Constantly Changing
Kernel: Stock
Launcher: Stock
Baseband: Stock .84
Recovery: CWM Touch 6

Previous Device: T-Mobile White Samsung Galaxy S3 (SGH T999)(sold), T Mobile LG G2X(sold), T Mobile HTC HD7(sold), T Mobile MyTouch 3G(smashed on purpose lol)

KCRic
Old
Thanks Meter 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamUpNorth View Post
Question....

Not sure about some of it but I can tell you that the higher bit rate helps with limiting the grainy video you see at times. 25Mbps is really about all you need at 1080p, any higher only makes for large files but no better quality.

60fps? Negative. Honestly we can all get into a long debate over it but I'll save you the trouble - its dumb. No need for it in video. This isn't a high action game. Even the cinema standard is 24fps. Besides our hardware caps at 30. Just like most other phones. Drop to 30 again - the software drops frames anyway so you'd need to record Bruce Lee fighting to test and see if we can hit 60fps at all.

The source would be great since the media encoding is embedded in the kernel it seems. Not in the .apk like the "old" days. Maybe see if we can get the audio sampling up to 192 or 320, instead of the lackluster 96 (seriously Google, wtf...)

Lastly, there should be options for the FFC. What can we for for that?

MyTouch 3G (Yeah, I know...) Rooted w/ unlocked bootloader - Retired
G2 (Desire Z) Rooted w/ unlocked bootloader and carrier restriction - Retired
Epic 4G Touch (Galaxy S II) - Retired
Nexus 4 16GB - Rooted w/ unlocked bootloader - Retired
T - Mobile Galaxy S 4 - Knox Free. Running Wicked v10 w/ Chronic kernel - Current

24kbps 1080p w/ 320kbps audio @ 48KHz camera mod by me. Also w/ How-to.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KCRic For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Logi_Ca1
Old
Thanks Meter 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCRic View Post
Not sure about some of it but I can tell you that the higher bit rate helps with limiting the grainy video you see at times. 25Mbps is really about all you need at 1080p, any higher only makes for large files but no better quality.

60fps? Negative. Honestly we can all get into a long debate over it but I'll save you the trouble - its dumb. No need for it in video. This isn't a high action game. Even the cinema standard is 24fps. Besides our hardware caps at 30. Just like most other phones. Drop to 30 again - the software drops frames anyway so you'd need to record Bruce Lee fighting to test and see if we can hit 60fps at all.

The source would be great since the media encoding is embedded in the kernel it seems. Not in the .apk like the "old" days. Maybe see if we can get the audio sampling up to 192 or 320, instead of the lackluster 96 (seriously Google, wtf...)

Lastly, there should be options for the FFC. What can we for for that?

60fps is a matter of opinion. Personally I deinterlace all my 30i media to 60p, and it looks great. 24fps (or rather, 23.976fps) in cinema is just a matter of tradition, rather than any technical superiority. We might see this trend changing soon with The Hobbit being recorded at 48fps.

Anyway, the Padfone 2 with the same APQ8064 is capable of 720p at 60fps, so unless the hardware limitation you are talking about is with the camera module, the hardware encoder in the APQ8064 should be capable of 720p 60fps recording.
The Following User Says Thank You to Logi_Ca1 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ChongoDroid
Old
Thanks Meter 2273

Agreed^^

60fps works be very handy on a phone.. since I'm not recording a feature length film lol

Sports, action, tons of stuff could benefit.

Hell 60fps slow motion would be bad ass!

XDA's D4RK KN1GHT

I'm Not Wearing Hockey Pads

SlothRoms
Android Techy
"Chongo for forum President- Because he's the hero xda deserves, but not the one it needs right now." - _MetalHead_

The Following User Says Thank You to ChongoDroid For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
THREAD CLOSED
Subscribe