Tip us?

gianton
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3373

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfnails View Post
Appreciate your quick work getting new kernel r80 for the new 4.2.2. I tried first stock kernel from 4.2.2 vs r80 and found r80 much better on battery and less lag multitasking. Thumbs up
Which ROM?
Current Devices: Galaxy Note 3 - HTC One
Device History: Samsung Omnia ► HTC Topaz ► HTC HD2 ► HTC Desire ► iPhone 4 ► Galaxy Nexus ► Nexus 4 ► HTC One (Backup) ► Galaxy Note 3

Flashable Zips Fonts Thread | MIUI Fonts Thread | Xperia Z1 Keyboard Multi Language | MIUI Info/Fixes for the HTC One | Official MIUI v5 - DISCUSSION, TALK, Q&A Thread

Kel Ghu
Old
Thanks Meter 92

DONATE TO ME
Default Re: [KERNEL][GPL][N4] franco.Kernel - r72

Quote:
Originally Posted by strikelight View Post
I had originally come to that similar conclusion for blacks when I mentioned it a few days ago, but now I forget how I reached that conclusion.. Are you testing against the visible blacks and whites in the display tester app?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app
Yeah, Display Tester app. It works pretty well for what we need.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda premium
LG Google Nexus 4

My XDA Heroes: hardcore, sztupy, raspdeep, supercurio, ChainFire, nikademus, xan, Richthofen, codeworkx (aery), coolya, Tayutama, lastufo, franciscofranco, faux123, ctfrommn, Morfic, synegye

Previous Phones: iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, Nexus One, Galaxy S, Nexus S.

- Screen Type Nexus 4 thread (My N4 color settings are included there)
- [INFO] LG Nexus 4 Production Date and Place Identification

noneabove
Old
Thanks Meter 255

Quote:
Originally Posted by franciscofranco View Post
So you found the pattern! Good job Inspector Gadget!
I honestly can't tell if I'm supposed to be insulted or not.. :P

Android history: Desire Z (now my mom's), Nexus 7 (now my dad's), Nexus 4 (sold), Nexus 10 (family tablet), Nexus 7 2013 (main tablet), Nexus 5 (main phone)

mrgwap
Old
Thanks Meter 86

Running the latest r80 kernel on the stock 4.2.2.and I can't change gamma settings any suggestions?

noneabove
Old
Thanks Meter 255

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgwap View Post
Running the latest r80 kernel on the stock 4.2.2.and I can't change gamma settings any suggestions?

Can't change them meaning what, values don't stick? On reboot or right away? Or can't edit them at all in app? (If gamma control isn't enabled in r80 my bad but I didn't notice mention of it anywhere and have been almost purely programming for the past 7 hours.. C++ is a bitch)

Android history: Desire Z (now my mom's), Nexus 7 (now my dad's), Nexus 4 (sold), Nexus 10 (family tablet), Nexus 7 2013 (main tablet), Nexus 5 (main phone)

franciscofranco
Old
Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 81069

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by noneabove View Post
I honestly can't tell if I'm supposed to be insulted or not.. :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgwap View Post

I just changed them on my N4, its on your end sorry.

FacesIn app
Per-App Modes app
Nexus Display Control
franco.Kernel updater Free app
franco.Kernel - Galaxy Nexus
franco.Kernel - Nexus 4
franco.Kernel - Nexus 5
franco.Kernel - Nexus 7
franco.Kernel - Nexus 7 2013
franco.Kernel - Nexus 10

Google+ | Twitter | Portfolio

CruzerLite franco.Kernel case for the Nexus 4
CruzerLite franco.Kernel case for the Galaxy Nexus

You don't like my reply? Read this

However, if you put any trust in Quadrant scores you could use them to prove that dancing naked for 5 minutes in your garden affects device performance. By Chainfire

My applications translations are managed by:

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to franciscofranco For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

milenko11
Old
Thanks Meter 6
What kernel settings are recommended for best battery life using Franco's app?

darkkid85
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by visceralpsyche View Post
Thanks for all those of you who provided feedback on my color calibration settings using r72 and Franco's app.

Someone messaged me to ask what the thinking was behind my settings, and I thought it might be worth posting the reasons here too so everyone can understand the why behind them.

Because this thread moves so quickly, here are the settings I'm using again, so you don't have to go searching for them:

R 175
G 175
B 175

Whites 20
Mids 100
Blacks 255
Contrast 0
Brightness 0
Saturation 200
Grays 0

Screen Brightness 50%

These settings provide a VERY close approximation to my calibrated PC monitor when studying my photos in detail (I'm a cinematographer and photographer by profession - see here: http://www.visceralpsyche.com).

A lot of you love the settings, but some of you also say they are too dark, or wonder why you can't put a lower screen brightness and compensate by increasing the RGB values to let more light through.

To understand why I chose my settings, you have to remember that our displays are made up of two parts - the backlight (screen brightness control in Android) and the LCD panel itself (adjusted by Franco's app), which the backlight shines through.

What I found with my testing was that with RGB set to 255, specular highlights (and white edges in general) tended to blow out, causing color fringing artifacts. This is easily seen as pink or yellow edges to what should be pure white images. As I pulled back the RGB values, this fringing began to get smaller, until by my settings of 175 there was no longer any color fringing to my whites. Think of it as a form of highlight recovery. By pulling the clipped channels down equally, I found the point at which the values didn't overflow the hardware limitation of the LCD panel itself.

Once this was done, I went into the gamma interface and began looking for where the whites and blacks ran close to the limit, but not over. I adjusted the screen brightness to where I could distinguish the bottom and top values as individual shades. THis was close enough to 50% that I set it to 50% and tweaked it to be perfect.

Then I played with the Mid and Gray values until middle grey was indeed in the middle, so that the tone curve wasn't biased to one direction.

From there, I adjusted saturation to match my PC monitor's saturation level.

After all that, I arrived at the values I posted above, and now have a screen which faithfully replicates the tonality of my photos without any artifacts or strange tone curves.

If you want to test these values (or your own) I recommend the following images. The calibration chart is one I found online a long time ago, which is useful for seeing the top and bottom end of white and black, to make sure your screen is showing you all the proper values:

The photo is my own, and is useful because I know exactly how I processed it and therefore that it touches both the white end of the spectrum (the highlighted side of her face, with values at precisely full white) and the black end of the spectrum (the fine detail in her hair, which is very black but not crushed in the details):

You can also use her facial tonality to make sure you see a smooth transition through the grays, not steps.

It's also black and white, which means that any color fringing you see is entirely due to artifacts introduced by errors in the color or gamma settings and not the backlight of the screen).

Both images are hosted on my own server, so there are no compression artifacts introduced by the forum.

Again - my aim with these settings is to give you a proper, reference screen that displays accurate colors without any artifacts or errors. Brightness is set to match a proper reference display (120cd/m2) and may be brighter or darker than you prefer.

If you value absolute battery savings over accurate color, then these settings may not be for you. That's perfectly ok of course. But for me, in my line of work, I value accuracy over the little bit of battery savings I might get by lowering my screen brightness, so if that's your goal too, then you'll find these colors are a good basis for having the best possible photo viewing screen on any phone.

Because I can tell you, I have never had a more accurate screen than the Nexus 4 when it comes to looking at my photos, when combined with Franco's fantastic color interface and kernel.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Paul Leeming
Writer/Director/Cinematographer
Visceral Psyche Films
http://www.visceralpsyche.com
i am guessing the phone needs to be rooted and custom kernel installed?
Correct me if im wrong ,

thx,
ramu
All Androids are born Equal;Its just that some are more powerful than the rest!

gianton
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3373

DONATE TO ME
Just a heads up, I'm running latest Carbon Feb 14 4.2.2 build with r80 kernel so far everything is good. I flashed all stock JDQ39 images before flashing this.

Thanks Franco!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-02-15-08-23-57.jpg
Views:	921
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	1731092  
Current Devices: Galaxy Note 3 - HTC One
Device History: Samsung Omnia ► HTC Topaz ► HTC HD2 ► HTC Desire ► iPhone 4 ► Galaxy Nexus ► Nexus 4 ► HTC One (Backup) ► Galaxy Note 3

Flashable Zips Fonts Thread | MIUI Fonts Thread | Xperia Z1 Keyboard Multi Language | MIUI Info/Fixes for the HTC One | Official MIUI v5 - DISCUSSION, TALK, Q&A Thread

ayamary
Old
Thanks Meter 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkkid85 View Post
i am guessing the phone needs to be rooted and custom kernel installed?
Correct me if im wrong ,

thx,
ramu
hooooly ****

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ayamary For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Tags
battery, franciscofranco, franco, kernel, mako, nexus, updater