[KERNEL][GPL][N4] franco.Kernel - r217

Search This thread

steviewevie

Retired Forum Moderator
Oct 28, 2009
UK
Re: [KERNEL][GPL][N4] franco.Kernel - r83

Latest Franco kernel app is 8.8.1 now guys ;)

Sent from my Nexus 4

hospital349

Apr 3, 2012
New Pork City
Hey Franco. Long time no speak.

I've finally caught up with the latest releases and I have to say that I love r83 :good:

You've been hard at it, obviously. :)

I have a query, that I've been running through various devs regarding HDMI and Slimport.

Basically, I have a Slimport connector which worked just fine with 4.2.1 and since 4.2.2, HDMI output doesn't work anymore. Upon connecting my device to my TV, my TV's screen turns blue and my device crashes. It loses all functionality and I have to do a hard reset to get it up and running again.

The phone crashes, so I'm unable to obtain a last_kmsg or any other kind of logs for that matter, but was wondering if you might look into the situation?

The same issue runs through PA Stock Kernel and Harsh, as well as Franco. I'm pretty certain those aren't the only 3 kernels either.

Did Google f*ck up? - As I said, 4.2.1 was working great. 4.2.2, nothing.

As always, many many many thanks! :eek:

luca1102

May 28, 2012
Vienna
AW: [KERNEL][GPL][N4] franco.Kernel - r83

@franciscofranco

Do you still intend to update the nexus 4 display control to offer the same color settings as the kernel updater ? If not i got to buy the updater and i would not need the display control anymore . I love your work , thanks again . :)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app

Mendanbar

Mar 1, 2009
Seattle, WA
Thanks for the update! Your gamma settings always look fantastic on my phone.

Hi all,

So here are my updated values after recalibrating with the new r83 kernel and Franco's app 8.8 (target 120cd/m2, sRGB, 6500K):

Screen Brightness - 50%

R - 181
G - 167
B - 162

Grays - 0
Mids - 5
Blacks - 119
Contrast - 1
Brightness - 0
Saturation - 7
Whites - 2

I should also note that my Nexus 4 is Rev10 (from the Bootloader screen) so IF the screens are different on Rev11 phones etc your values may be different.

Reactions: visceralpsyche

JNewms

Sep 21, 2011
Bloomington

@franciscofranco

Do you still intend to update the nexus 4 display control to offer the same color settings as the kernel updater ? If not i got to buy the updater and i would not need the display control anymore . I love your work , thanks again . :)

You'll need to buy the updater. The display app has nothing to do with kernel. The gamma control is through the kernel, which is why it's only through the kernel app.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Silencer96

Jan 4, 2012
R83 absolutely butchered my battery life. I lost 20% just from listening to music for 50 minute with the screen of the entire time. I switched back to the cm10.1 stock kernel and the drain stopped.

R82, on the other hand, was fantastic.

yokuyuki

Sep 9, 2012
New York
Close to 2.2 for me too, 212K and rev 10. Grays a bit high, but others are close.

Sent from my Nexus 4

I didn't know there was a 212K and rev 10 screen. I thought 212K batch only had rev 11 screens...

I've finally caught up with the latest releases and I have to say that I love r83 :good:

I have a query, that I've been running through various devs regarding HDMI and Slimport.

Basically, I have a Slimport connector which worked just fine with 4.2.1 and since 4.2.2, HDMI output doesn't work anymore. Upon connecting my device to my TV, my TV's screen turns blue and my device crashes. It loses all functionality and I have to do a hard reset to get it up and running again.

The phone crashes, so I'm unable to obtain a last_kmsg or any other kind of logs for that matter, but was wondering if you might look into the situation?

The same issue runs through PA Stock Kernel and Harsh, as well as Franco. I'm pretty certain those aren't the only 3 kernels either.

Does it work on stock 4.2.2 kernel?

mrfrag1337

Nov 2, 2010
Santander
For me my goal is to calibrate the screen to a natural colors with photos and my iPad 3 as reference (18.gamma i think).

My values are this:

RGB (200 - 192 - 190)

Grays: 0
Mids: 5
Black: 87 (you can go up to 119 but in photos it saturate the shadows)
Contrast: 0
Brightness: 0
Saturation: 2 ( you can tweak it 0-3 and still looks natural)
Whites: 0 (important for not saturating too much the whites in photos)

franciscofranco

Recognized Developer
Dec 9, 2010
Carcavelos

Its probably ****ed up from the changes they did on the video layer on the kernel.

@franciscofranco

I intend to update it ASAP, just been really short on time. I need to update the Free app as well, but as you can see my free time has been limited.

Hexxer

May 19, 2009
There is a guy in an german board hwho set the colors with the kernel-App to 0/0/0....now his screen ist dark :D

What does he have to do to reset these settings? Is it enough to reflash the kernel (i guess not).

Scottyfer

Feb 8, 2012

There is a guy in an german board hwho set the colors with the kernel-App to 0/0/0....now his screen ist dark :D

What does he have to do to reset these settings? Is it enough to reflash the kernel (i guess not).

Boot into recovery and wipe data.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda premium

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi all.

Current builds (starting with r217) are for Lollipop 5.1 only.
    Builds (starting with r214 up to r216) are Android 5.0 Lollipop only.
    KitKat is dead and the last stable release was r213, which you're free to use if you're still on 4.4.4.

Download:
    boot image:
    http://kernels.franco-lnx.net/Nexus4/5.1/
    zips:
    http://kernels.franco-lnx.net/Nexus4/5.1/zips

Installation:
    fastboot flash boot boot_name_img
    or
    flash the .zip in the recovery

Source:
    https://github.com/franciscofranco/mako/tree/lollipop-mr1

Changelog:
    http://kernels.franco-lnx.net/Nexus4/5.1/appfiles/changelog.xml

franco.Kernel updater Free apk: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1867127

Got any questions that you couldn't find after searching?
    FAQ: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2532422
    Color Calibration for the Nexus 4

Thanks for all those of you who provided feedback on my color calibration settings using r72 and Franco's app.

Someone messaged me to ask what the thinking was behind my settings, and I thought it might be worth posting the reasons here too so everyone can understand the why behind them.

Because this thread moves so quickly, here are the settings I'm using again, so you don't have to go searching for them:

R 175
    G 175
    B 175

Whites 20
    Mids 100
    Blacks 255
    Contrast 0
    Brightness 0
    Saturation 200
    Grays 0

Screen Brightness 50%

These settings provide a VERY close approximation to my calibrated PC monitor when studying my photos in detail (I'm a cinematographer and photographer by profession - see here: http://www.visceralpsyche.com).

A lot of you love the settings, but some of you also say they are too dark, or wonder why you can't put a lower screen brightness and compensate by increasing the RGB values to let more light through.

To understand why I chose my settings, you have to remember that our displays are made up of two parts - the backlight (screen brightness control in Android) and the LCD panel itself (adjusted by Franco's app), which the backlight shines through.

What I found with my testing was that with RGB set to 255, specular highlights (and white edges in general) tended to blow out, causing color fringing artifacts. This is easily seen as pink or yellow edges to what should be pure white images. As I pulled back the RGB values, this fringing began to get smaller, until by my settings of 175 there was no longer any color fringing to my whites. Think of it as a form of highlight recovery. By pulling the clipped channels down equally, I found the point at which the values didn't overflow the hardware limitation of the LCD panel itself.

Once this was done, I went into the gamma interface and began looking for where the whites and blacks ran close to the limit, but not over. I adjusted the screen brightness to where I could distinguish the bottom and top values as individual shades. THis was close enough to 50% that I set it to 50% and tweaked it to be perfect.

Then I played with the Mid and Gray values until middle grey was indeed in the middle, so that the tone curve wasn't biased to one direction.

From there, I adjusted saturation to match my PC monitor's saturation level.

After all that, I arrived at the values I posted above, and now have a screen which faithfully replicates the tonality of my photos without any artifacts or strange tone curves.

If you want to test these values (or your own) I recommend the following images. The calibration chart is one I found online a long time ago, which is useful for seeing the top and bottom end of white and black, to make sure your screen is showing you all the proper values:

calibration-chart.gif

The photo is my own, and is useful because I know exactly how I processed it and therefore that it touches both the white end of the spectrum (the highlighted side of her face, with values at precisely full white) and the black end of the spectrum (the fine detail in her hair, which is very black but not crushed in the details):

IMG_1362a_framed_sRGB_25.jpg

You can also use her facial tonality to make sure you see a smooth transition through the grays, not steps.

It's also black and white, which means that any color fringing you see is entirely due to artifacts introduced by errors in the color or gamma settings and not the backlight of the screen).

Both images are hosted on my own server, so there are no compression artifacts introduced by the forum.

Again - my aim with these settings is to give you a proper, reference screen that displays accurate colors without any artifacts or errors. Brightness is set to match a proper reference display (120cd/m2) and may be brighter or darker than you prefer.

If you value absolute battery savings over accurate color, then these settings may not be for you. That's perfectly ok of course. But for me, in my line of work, I value accuracy over the little bit of battery savings I might get by lowering my screen brightness, so if that's your goal too, then you'll find these colors are a good basis for having the best possible photo viewing screen on any phone.

Because I can tell you, I have never had a more accurate screen than the Nexus 4 when it comes to looking at my photos, when combined with Franco's fantastic color interface and kernel.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Paul Leeming
    Writer/Director/Cinematographer
    Visceral Psyche Films
    http://www.visceralpsyche.com
    Really sad to read some posts after all the work I put on this device for longer than an year. Anyway here's r204 that I've been working on for a while...

* Introduce a new bunch of tunables for my Hotplug driver and squash all code improvements from Hammerhead's version
    * Uses a power efficient system workqueue to allow the cores to stay longer times on idle
    * Several key subsystems are now using a newer and more advanced kernel thread infrastructure to allow cores to allow for better power savings
    * Improved thermal throttle code
    * Merged all upstream 3.4.y patches
    * Merged misc patches

Have fun.
    I couldn't resist. My girlfriend is a bit mad at me, but I told her I would buy her some nice drinks after dinner so while she's happy I managed to get the new Kernel sources, build fresh with the new ramdisk and I only had time to merge my custom changes:

- Cleaned config from crap
    - Added my Hotplug driver (bye mpdecision)
    - Added my custom changes to the Thermal driver (bye thermald)
    - Added my custom changes to Interactive Governor (and made it default)

And thats pretty much it. I don't have more time now, (we'll see tomorrow, I rented a hut in the beach for tomorrow for me to work a bit on the Kernel/App while getting some nice sun and my GF won't get mad eheh - Android, GF, drinks, sun and beach, who doesn't love this. I'll take a picture tomorrow and share with you all). Attached is r170 for 4.3 with the changes I mentioned above.

Have fun guys.
    Ok I have a small gift for all of you that run FK for almost a year on this device. I always said that I would never implement any of those functionalities to wake the device without pressing the power button - point is that LG G2 has brought this feature, Oppo N1 has something very similar and... I've been getting emails that users are having the Power Buttons wore off. Initially I implemented this on the new Nexus 7 as a challenge and to have some fun. Couple code lines later I had the functionality working fine and dandy. The device deep sleeps and the only thing that is being kept active is the digitizer for this to work. I sent it to a couple of people and they enjoyed it specially because it worked better than other Kernels that had implemented similar options. Good, so lets try and implement it on Mako. It's 100% my code, pretty simple, and easy to understand. Please refer to git (I just pushed the code) for how it works in the touch driver and input subsystem.

By default this option is disabled, but you can enable it by doing:

echo 1 > /sys/module/lge_touch_core/parameters/touch_to_wake

After this is enabled you can power up the display by double tapping just like the LG G2, and you can swipe from whenever you want on the display and it will power up. There is a 100ms (0.1s) minimum interval where the algorithm will detect touch events so filter ghost touches and some unintended shít. It seems very low value, but when we're touching the screen the digitizer is capturing hundreds of touch events every minute, and dozens every second. So this works as a filter.

If you're using touch_control and you want to test this, please disable the module and reboot your device or you'll most likely get into some **** problems. And the same thing other way around.

Oh and interactive is back to default, it just gives me more consistence results all around.

Attached goes two test zips, flash, enable the touch thingy, test, and report back.