Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

AOSP Browser 4.2

OP Turbotab

17th February 2013, 12:52 AM   |  #241  
Thanks Meter: 84

231 posts
It seems like your flashable zip is much more relevant to the thread's title than the OP. Why not start your own thread so updates and stuff don't need to be spread out across many pages?
18th February 2013, 04:51 AM   |  #242  
Flag Stockbridge, GA
Thanks Meter: 193

433 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nawoa

It seems like your flashable zip is much more relevant to the thread's title than the OP. Why not start your own thread so updates and stuff don't need to be spread out across many pages?

Maybe once I figure out how to compile my own Browser.apk I'll make my own thread. For now I'll just update here.
18th February 2013, 02:25 PM   |  #243  
Thanks Meter: 7

37 posts
I removed the browser for the 4.2.2 update and have not got round to installing it again just yet and have been tring chrome beta again, I now miss AOSP loads , I still think it's the best all round browser. So the best one to download is the latest one posted by sikagoon7 rather than OP atm?

Further to my previous post about viewport/debug, the viewport size is still my major problem with almost all android browsers. I'll explain it a little further here so that if someone has a solution or can fix this for me they have the information they need.

By default the AOSP browser and most other browsers render the page in a resolution that is lower than the screen, this means that websites appear zoomed in, on a 10" tablet this means that websites display super huge. Firefox allows one to change the viewport size which is great (if only firefox was a faster browser ) which means if I set the viewport to something like 1024 pixels the render area is bigger and the page renders in a much more respectable size (smaller / more zoomed out).

This setting is controlled in the AOSP browser by the debug setting "use wide viewport" unticking this renders pages on a tablet screen at roughly the correct resolution, in the case of my nexus 10 the viewport width seems something like 1280 pixels wide. When the box is unticked the browser renders at something like 600 - 900 pixels in width (I'll check exactly when I get home).

The problem I have is that every time I open the browser I have to manually enter debug mode by loading about:debug as the default debug state is off when the browser is started.

So if anyone could offer a solution to this it would be great, I've really got no experience on what changes are made to the browser apk, if any or how many changes can be made to the program, but one of the following solutions would be what I would like to see:
1) A tweak to allow the browser to start in debug mode by default.
2) An added option under settings somewhere outside of debug options to enable/disable "use wide viewport"
3) An addedd option somewhere in the settings to use a custom viewport.
4) Some other tweak I'm not aware of.

Thanks a bunch to anyone who can help

P.S. Simply using a homepage or bookmark as "about:debug" does not work because when loading from that bookmark the browser may already be in debug mode and entering "about:debug" takes one out of debug mode. Thanks again.
18th February 2013, 03:05 PM   |  #244  
Thanks Meter: 29

91 posts
R: AOSP Browser 4.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by v4nt0m

Firefox allows one to change the viewport size which is great (if only firefox was a faster browser ) which means if I set the viewport to something like 1024 pixels the render area is bigger and the page renders in a much more respectable size (smaller / more zoomed out).

Have you tried Firefox Beta? It seems very faster!
18th February 2013, 04:32 PM   |  #245  

37 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gia90

Have you tried Firefox Beta? It seems very faster!

Have tried the beta and Nightlies, but they still don't seem as fast as Dolphin/Chrome (Although chrome has been a bit of a dog since 4.2.2). Hopefully it won't be long before it catches up. However the major problem stopping me from using Firefox is that it does not render pages at full colour depth, there's lots of colour banding.

EDIT: This appears to be the way to do what I want, I just have no idea how to do any compiling etc (looking now).
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1727325

EDIT2: Managed to decompile and recompile it myself and now its working exactly how I want it to, all thanks to xda threads and a bit of patience.
Last edited by v4nt0m; 18th February 2013 at 09:35 PM.
19th February 2013, 03:06 AM   |  #246  
Flag Zaanstad
Thanks Meter: 53

180 posts
More
Re: AOSP Browser 4.2
This is awesome used it with CM on my S2, happy to have it installed on my N4. Is way faster and smoother than chrome.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium HD app
19th February 2013, 05:07 AM   |  #247  
Flag Stockbridge, GA

433 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by v4nt0m

Have tried the beta and Nightlies, but they still don't seem as fast as Dolphin/Chrome (Although chrome has been a bit of a dog since 4.2.2). Hopefully it won't be long before it catches up. However the major problem stopping me from using Firefox is that it does not render pages at full colour depth, there's lots of colour banding.

EDIT: This appears to be the way to do what I want, I just have no idea how to do any compiling etc (looking now).
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1727325

EDIT2: Managed to decompile and recompile it myself and now its working exactly how I want it to, all thanks to xda threads and a bit of patience.

Maybe you can teach me how to compile an APK?

---------- Post added at 10:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:18 PM ----------

I will upload a ZIP for the 4.2.2 version of the Browser. Note that it will only contain the Browser.apk since a 4.2.2 ChromeSync has not yet been released by AOSPA or CM. I recommend flashing this over my most recent ZIP.

---------- Post added at 11:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:33 PM ----------

4.2.2 BROWSER

This ZIP contains only the 4.2.2 Browser. A 4.2.2 ChromeSync still hasn't been released and once it is I will update with a full ZIP. For now I recommend flashing this update over the previous ZIP I posted seeing as how many of you have already done that successfully. I guess the update is mainly for purists, lol.

1. I will link the most recent update so people don't have to flip through thread pages RIGHT HERE

2. After flashing that (If you haven't already) flash the 4.2.2-Browser-Update.zip (attached)

3. And here is a little treat from Adobe (Flash 11.1.115.47) RIGHT HERE

4. Enjoy
Attached Files
File Type: zip 4.2.2-Browser-Update.zip - [Click for QR Code] (1.74 MB, 164 views)
Last edited by sikagoon7; 19th February 2013 at 05:19 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sikagoon7 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
19th February 2013, 12:52 PM   |  #248  
Flag Zaanstad
Thanks Meter: 53

180 posts
More
Re: AOSP Browser 4.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sikagoon7

---------- Post added at 10:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:18 PM ----------

I will upload a ZIP for the 4.2.2 version of the Browser. Note that it will only contain the Browser.apk since a 4.2.2 ChromeSync has not yet been released by AOSPA or CM. I recommend flashing this over my most recent ZIP.

---------- Post added at 11:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:33 PM ----------

4.2.2 BROWSER

This ZIP contains only the 4.2.2 Browser. A 4.2.2 ChromeSync still hasn't been released and once it is I will update with a full ZIP. For now I recommend flashing this update over the previous ZIP I posted seeing as how many of you have already done that successfully. I guess the update is mainly for purists, lol.

1. I will link the most recent update so people don't have to flip through thread pages RIGHT HERE

2. After flashing that (If you haven't already) flash the 4.2.2-Browser-Update.zip (attached)

3. And here is a little treat from Adobe (Flash 11.1.115.47) RIGHT HERE

4. Enjoy

When I want to flash the update zip, I get an error.. Also when I first flqsh the other one. I'm on stock, stock kernel

19th February 2013, 01:56 PM   |  #249  

37 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sikagoon7

I thought it was going to be daunting but it was pretty simple.

All you need is:
Java JDK: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/ja...ads/index.html
smali + baksmali: http://code.google.com/p/smali/ (you want the jar files)

I set up the jdk path as a system variable, google for that it's pretty simple then I used the examples given in this thread as a base:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=537779

You will need to open the Browser.apk as a zip file and extract those files somewhere then you can re-add any files you have changed into the apk which is basically a zip.

That will allow you to decompile/recompile the dex files but what you need or want to change within the smali files contained within I cannot help you with, I was lucky that someone had provided the exact instructions I needed.

Hope it helps.
Last edited by v4nt0m; 19th February 2013 at 02:05 PM.
19th February 2013, 03:39 PM   |  #250  
Flag Stockbridge, GA

433 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guzanni

When I want to flash the update zip, I get an error.. Also when I first flqsh the other one. I'm on stock, stock kernel

I hear other people getting errors. What version of Android are you on and what exactly is the error?

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
aosp browser 4.2
Previous Thread Next Thread