5,593,587 Members 37,871 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[APP][2013-03-09][root][N4] BootUnlocker for Nexus Devices -- version 1.3.1

Tip us?

segv11
Old
(Last edited by segv11; 10th March 2013 at 06:00 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 425
Post [APP][2013-03-09][root][N4] BootUnlocker for Nexus Devices -- version 1.3.1

This is cross-posted from the the Galaxy Nexus forum, where the app got started. The app supports Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 4, and Nexus 10, and we are working on other Nexus devices. You can ask questions either there or here, but all active research is taking place on the original thread.

This application REQUIRES a Galaxy Nexus (maguro, toro or toroplus), Nexus 4 (mako), or Nexus 10 (manta), with root.

You've rooted your Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 4, or Nexus 10, and you are trying to decide between the security of relocking your bootloader (with stock recovery and USB Debugging off), and the flexibility of leaving it unlocked.

You know that in order to prevent an unauthorized user from accessing your data by flashing a custom recovery, "fastboot oem unlock" wipes your data. This also means that if you relock your bootloader, you will need to do a full backup-and-restore whenever you decide to unlock it again.

BootUnlocker for Nexus Devices lets you have the best of both worlds by using root privileges to unlock your bootloader from within Android, without wiping your data. This allows you to keep your bootloader locked for security, with this application safely protected behind your lockscreen password. Whenever you want to unlock or relock your bootloader, just unlock your screen and run BootUnlocker.

License
BootUnlocker for Nexus Devices is Open Source Software, licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0:
http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0.html.
You can redistribute, reuse, or modify this software as permitted under this license.

Source code is maintained on Google Code, along current and previous versions of the complied application:
https://code.google.com/p/boot-unlocker-gnex/

Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing, software distributed under the License is distributed on an "AS IS" BASIS, WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, either express or implied. See the License for the specific language governing permissions and limitations under the License.

For support, please leave a comment on this thread, or open an issue on the Google Code project page.

Downloads

Original Thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1731993
How it Works: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...88&postcount=2
Changelog: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...06&postcount=3
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to segv11 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

segv11
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 425
[reserved]
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to segv11 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

segv11
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 425
[another reserved]
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to segv11 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

thephantom
Old
(Last edited by thephantom; 24th December 2012 at 08:04 AM.)
Thanks Meter 439
Just saw the update on my gnex. Glad it supports n4 already. Downloading on my n4 now. Great work!

Edit: confirmed working.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
LG Nexus 5
Nokia Lumia 1520
Asus Google Nexus 7 4.4.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by @rbiter View Post
teach a man to fish, you feed him for life. teach a man to fastboot, and you create competency. and less threads on xda.
The Following User Says Thank You to thephantom For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

crachel
Old
Senior Moderator
Thanks Meter 2422
I'm really glad you've brought this over to the Nexus 4. This is an excellent contribution to the community.

moto x: 4.4 | flo: 4.4

other: Chromecast | Chromebook | System76 | MacBook Air

former: hammerhead | m7 | mako | Kindle Fire | CR-48 | Revue | grouper | maguro | crespo | passion | GT-I9100 | vision | rhodium | kaiser

karanrajpal14
Old
Thanks Meter 305
I have a small doubt and i hope you don't mind clearing it. I just got my N4 and i was considering rooting it, my doubt is that once i unlock the boot loader can i relock it? On my old htc explorer it was possible to re lock but it showed the status as re locked instead of locked hence voiding the warranty. Can i relock it and get my warranty back again? Sorry for a probably noobish question.

thephantom
Old
Thanks Meter 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by karanrajpal14 View Post
I have a small doubt and i hope you don't mind clearing it. I just got my N4 and i was considering rooting it, my doubt is that once i unlock the boot loader can i relock it? On my old htc explorer it was possible to re lock but it showed the status as re locked instead of locked hence voiding the warranty. Can i relock it and get my warranty back again? Sorry for a probably noobish question.
It won't show as re locked. It'll be simply 'locked' whether you use the app or manually do it via terminal

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
LG Nexus 5
Nokia Lumia 1520

Quote:
teach a man to fish, you feed him for life. teach a man to fastboot, and you create competency. and less threads on xda.
The Following User Says Thank You to thephantom For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

karanrajpal14
Old
Thanks Meter 305
Thanks. So it's safe to root it then? Won't cause any problems with my warranty right?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda premium

thephantom
Old
Thanks Meter 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by karanrajpal14 View Post
Thanks. So it's safe to root it then? Won't cause any problems with my warranty right?

If it's a question on being safe, I'm pretty sure most people with sense will always say "do it at your own risk" because we are concerned about your warranty. Nexus devices are the easiest to bootloader unlocked and root and flash and viceversa but the user still has to take responsibility.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
LG Nexus 5
Nokia Lumia 1520

Quote:

karanrajpal14
Old
Thanks Meter 305
That's fine. I'll do it at my own risk! Only thing I was worried about was the warranty. Now that you say it can be locked again I don't have any problem! Thanks!

Tags
bootloader, nexus 4, root