Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[APPS][4.1+] Google Experience Launcher (GEL App + Google Search App)

OP Bexton

16th November 2013, 02:45 PM   |  #1  
OP Recognized Contributor
Flag 50° 56' 33" 6° 57' 32"
Thanks Meter: 1,124

629 posts
More
Official and fully working Google Experience Launcher (GEL) for all devices running Android 4.1+

As previously announced, Google did not included their new Google Experience Launcher (GEL), that was introduced for the Nexus 5, in the just released factory images, such as for the Nexus 4.

And furthermore, The Verge was told by Google that it first "wants to see how users take to the Launcher on the Nexus 5 before it offers it on other devices". So we won't see GEL any time soon - any way (either via OTAs or Google Play).

However, I think, basically they did not just cut off a random Launcher App but rather cut off most of KitKat's "sweetness".

Fortunatly, because the new Launcher App is actually just a stub and all the functionality is now tied into the Google Search App, the Search App version that shipped in KitKat also makes GEL available for all devices running Android 4.1+. So, if you run KitKat, all the functionality is actually already there and you just need to install the correct interface (i.e. Launcher App). And even better, you don't even need to run KitKat for GEL. It can be installed on any device running Android 4.1+ (by installing/updating the Google Search App).

So, here we go..

Pre-Requirements
- Android 4.1+

Downloads

All APKs are signed by Google, are safe to install and were not tampered with in any way.

Google Experience Launcher App (depends on Google Search App version 3.1.8+)
Version: 0.9.6.886092 0.10.1.920880
Size: 11.82 MB
APK Direct Download Mirror #1: http://j.mp/19tmI4M (Dev-Host)
APK Direct Download Mirror #2: http://j.mp/18dloaj http://j.mp/1btMZku (Google Drive)

Google Search App
Version: 3.1.8.914827.arm 3.1.24.941712.arm
Size: 19.39 MB 19.49 MB
APK Direct Download Mirror #1: http://j.mp/17ZHe33 (Dev-Host)
APK Direct Download Mirror #2: http://j.mp/1dEjekk http://j.mp/1cWHWKw (Google Drive)
APK Google Play Download: link

NOTE: Version 3.1.8 is not yet released to most users via Google Play! Double-check you don't have an earlier version installed. If so, use the direct download link.

Install

NOTE: If not already done, you first need to enable "Unknown Sources" in Settings > Security (in order to be able to install apps from sources other than Google Play).

1.) Download the Google Search App from the direct link above and install it (if not already installed or an earlier version than 3.1.8.*).
2.) Download the Google Experience Launcher App from the direct link above and install it.

That's already it - done. Just click the home icon and select the Launcher with the blue icon (and subtitled "Google Search") from the selection popup (see screenshot below).
You can now enjoy the new Google Experience - including translucent framework decor, new App Drawer and all that other "sweetness".

Side-by-Side Comparison

Homescreen (left: N4 with stock launcher shipped in KitKat factory image; right: N4 with GEL):

App-Drawer (left: N4 with stock launcher shipped in KitKat factory image; right: N4 with GEL):
Read how to make GEL use the 5x5 grid layout here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...65&postcount=8

Last edited by Bexton; 27th December 2013 at 08:33 PM. Reason: Added new version
The Following 137 Users Say Thank You to Bexton For This Useful Post: [ View ]
16th November 2013, 06:27 PM   |  #2  
Flag Woodbridge, VA
Thanks Meter: 87

204 posts
More
Thumbs up
Thanks for this. I'm on a Verizon note 2 Android 4.1.2 and really like this launcher. Thanks for the links too.

+1
16th November 2013, 06:41 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 20

195 posts
Link for the launcher is broken. Google is playing hard to avoid us getting this launcher.
16th November 2013, 07:05 PM   |  #4  

629 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ticiano

Link for the launcher is broken. Google is playing hard to avoid us getting this launcher.

Odd, all links still work for me. Updated OP with mirror links anyway. Just let me know when they're down (can't attach here due to file size).
16th November 2013, 07:06 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 25

30 posts
can we change setting for app drawer?
i wanna use 5x5 app drawer.
16th November 2013, 07:18 PM   |  #6  

629 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnkitKr

afaik, this can be achieved by modifying the pixel density (320 -> 300). UPDATE: Not 300 but 316 seems to be the best value to change the density to. Here is how to do: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...65&postcount=8
Last edited by Bexton; 17th November 2013 at 02:03 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bexton For This Useful Post: [ View ]
16th November 2013, 07:38 PM   |  #7  
Flag Chicago
Thanks Meter: 24

308 posts
More
I noticed that the icons look way bigger on this launcher than on the jelly bean one. Is that default on the new launcher? Thanks

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app
17th November 2013, 01:59 AM   |  #8  

629 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnkitKr

After testing what I said before, I can confirm that changing the pixel density will result in the 5x5 view. But the best value seems to be 316 - not, as previously said, 300!

To do so, you can simply edit the build.prop file and replace "lcd_density=320" with "lcd_density=316". Use your tool of choice, or the following commands from the terminal. They will a) create a backup of the current build.prop in /system/build.prop.bak and b) edit the existing build.prop file in place (requires busybox being installed (for sed)):

(type bold parts only!)
Code:
user@machine> adb shell
shell@mako:/ $ su
root@mako:/  # mount -o remount,rw -t ext4 /dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/system /system
root@mako:/  # sed -i'.bak' 's/lcd_density=320/lcd_density=316/g' /system/build.prop
Now reboot and you're done. Here's the side-by-side comparison from OP but with the 5x5 GEL Drawer version being added:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hern1989

I noticed that the icons look way bigger on this launcher than on the jelly bean one. Is that default on the new launcher? Thanks

As you can see from the screenshots above, the icon size is not affected by the density setting change.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Bexton For This Useful Post: [ View ]
17th November 2013, 02:57 AM   |  #9  
Flag Athens
Thanks Meter: 29

250 posts
Can anyone post a screenshot from homescreen with art on 316dpi??The icons are still huge??

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
17th November 2013, 06:28 AM   |  #10  
Flag Udupi
Thanks Meter: 305

443 posts
Donate to Me
More
Question Cant get the search by 'OK google'
@Bexton Installed the app, running the launcher , but i cant get the search working from "OK Google" hotword,, nor in the launcher neither in the Google Now App ,When I say OK google nothing happens, in the launcher and also in the Google now app ..Any idea why ??

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread