XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Whatsapp ART support

Tip us?

carblanco
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by carblanco View Post
Why does this fix not work with CM11 KRT16S?
So, any fix to continue with CM11 KRT16S? I don't know the difference between CM11 KRT16S and other KRT16S based ROMs...

acilsekirlet
Old
Thanks Meter 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by alienmind View Post
It's impossible to cause any drain. That fix only removes a few lines of code...!

Sent with my cold fingers from the grave
In fact, the modified libart removes ALL the checks introduced in libart.so. We all know that some Google engineers were identified those checks as "excessively restrictive" but mere disabling is not a good idea in my point of view, as this may also cause vulnerability.

I believe it is still on Whatsapp's end to make their software to be compatible for such flags. I can't just simply take a Google guy's words approaching this issue with words such as "if dalvik is accepting the package, so should art".

A package verifier should be restrictive by nature. We, nevertheless should either go for certain relaxation for letting only Whatsapp package or pressure the developers of Whatsapp to make their apps compatible with art.
The Following User Says Thank You to acilsekirlet For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

cernekee
Old
Thanks Meter 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by acilsekirlet View Post
In fact, the modified libart removes ALL the checks introduced in libart.so.
It bypasses the checks that try to make sure MonitorEnter and MonitorExit match up. Nothing else.

MonitorEnter and MonitorExit are used to implement Java locking (the "synchronize" keyword).

Quote:
I believe it is still on Whatsapp's end to make their software to be compatible for such flags.
I haven't looked at the .dex files in detail, but I suspect that Whatsapp and TitaniumBackup may be failing verification due to the use of bytecode obfuscators.

If this output is coming from ProGuard (Google's official obfuscator), that's a Google problem. If the unobfuscated output from the SDK also fails, that is also a Google problem.

If the output is coming from a third-party obfuscator, one could argue that it is the app vendor's responsibility to make sure it works consistently across all client devices (and change obfuscators if it doesn't).
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cernekee For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ByaKuya*
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default whatsapp 2.11.42

hey can someone please provide the download link dor whatsapp 2.11.42...whatsapp 2.11.50 not installing on dalvik nor on art...
Thank you

nmlssit
Old
(Last edited by nmlssit; 25th November 2013 at 07:43 AM.)
Thanks Meter 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by cernekee View Post
Per the hints from Google, I was able to get current versions of WhatsApp to install under ART by overriding one of the verifier checks.

Here is the procedure to replace libart.so and clean up any partially-installed WhatsApp package, tested on a Nexus 5 running AOSP 4.4:

Code:
adb root
adb remount
adb shell "rm -rf /data/data/com.whatsapp"
adb pull /system/lib/libart.so libart.so.bak
adb push libart.so /system/lib/
If something goes wrong it may well result in a bootloop, so if you need to restore from backup, boot to recovery and use:

Code:
adb shell "mount /system"
adb push libart.so.bak /system/lib/libart.so
Source changes: https://github.com/cernekee/android_...fe2ef25d8470af

Note that I have not tested this on a Nexus 4 (despite this thread's current location).
Edit: Managed to make it work! Thank you very much

Rusty!
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1735
Quote:
Originally Posted by acilsekirlet View Post
I believe it is still on Whatsapp's end to make their software to be compatible for such flags. I can't just simply take a Google guy's words approaching this issue with words such as "if dalvik is accepting the package, so should art".
Which part of Google's guys saying the problem is with ART and not Whatsapp is causing you to believe that?
Google Nexus 5 on Giffgaff UK

apurvaappu
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Default Whatsapp install failed after ART to Dalvik runtime swtich?

Hi.

Could somone please help me fix the issue with whatsapp. I switched to ART runtime. Unable to run whatsapp. I uninstalled and reinstalled whatsapp . Got error 24 during install.

Now i went back to Dalvik runtime. Now I am unable to install whatsapp from web or from phone.

My phone is not rooted. is there any workaround to install whatsapp again without having to factory reset or root my phone ?

cernekee
Old
Thanks Meter 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by apurvaappu View Post
Could somone please help me fix the issue with whatsapp. I switched to ART runtime. Unable to run whatsapp. I uninstalled and reinstalled whatsapp . Got error 24 during install.

Now i went back to Dalvik runtime. Now I am unable to install whatsapp from web or from phone.

My phone is not rooted. is there any workaround to install whatsapp again without having to factory reset or root my phone ?
In this scenario, error -24 (INSTALL_FAILED_UID_CHANGED) typically means there is a stale copy of the app's data directory lying around from the failed installation attempt. According to Google, this is a long-standing Android bug.

Try this, then install the package:

Code:
adb root
adb shell "rm -rf /data/data/com.whatsapp"

dexviajiboy
Old
(Last edited by dexviajiboy; 30th November 2013 at 09:11 PM.)
Thanks Meter 178
v2.11.50 ART compatible
*Tested on CM11 KRT16S ART runtime
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dexviajiboy For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

cephaus
Old
Thanks Meter 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexviajiboy View Post
v2.11.50 ART compatible
*Tested on CM11 KRT16S ART runtime
Refuses to install on my nexus 5