Android Pay Working with Root

Search This thread

jgummeson

Dec 9, 2011
Hadley, MA
Here's how I have Android Pay working on my rooted 5x:

-Starting from stock 6.01 (Some other ROMs are reported working. Most importantly it needs to be a ROM where Android Pay was working prior to systemless root)
-Flashed systemless SuperSU 2.67 from TWRP (See UPDATE 3 below to make sure you have a systemless install)
-run "adb shell"
-from adb shell run "su"
-from adb shell run "chmod 751 /su/bin"

Have fun!

With this change the checks in SafetyNet Helper are passing and I can add cards and make purchases with Android Pay. The change is surviving reboots and doesn't require messing with any settings in the SuperSU app to enable/disable root.

UPDATE 1: As others have pointed out this permissions change can also be done with a file manager like Root Explorer that lets you change permissions. Probably easier for most than ADB commands.

UPDATE 2: Some people haven't been able to get Android Pay working with just this permission change. Check if you have /su/xbin_bind - deleting this may get it working. Thanks to @bobby janow and @CSX321 for pointing this out.

UPDATE 3: To clarify on the systemless SuperSU installation (this seems to be a trouble point for some) - there are settings that need to be configured for the SuperSU install to make it systemless and to not create the system/xbin binding. The installer reads these options from a file on /data/. Since you don't have root yet you need write these settings over ADB in TWRP. If you don't see the /su/ directory, you probably don't have a systemless install. In that case you can go back to stock (restore system, boot, and vendor partitions). Then, when you reinstall SuperSU, these are the commands you need to send from your TWRP ADB shell:
Code:
echo SYSTEMLESS=true>>/data/.supersu
echo BINDSYSTEMXBIN=false>>/data/.supersu

Once you've got SuperSU installed, change the permissions of /su/bin/ (either chmod or using a file explorer)

Last edited:

Farlicimo

Sep 7, 2015
That's the only trouble with Android Pay - no one takes it. I'll see if I can stop by Trader Joe's tonight and pick something up. They're the only place around here I know of that takes it.
Don't forget anywhere you see the NFC lines symbol should work. I've even seen some that didn't have the symbol but still had an NFC scanner.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

tallgrasshawk

Feb 7, 2011
Running Chroma with SU 2.66. After running those commands AP will let me at least add a card, which I couldn't do before those commands (get can't verify android error). Will try testing in store tomorrow hopefully.

Reactions: Joshmccullough

Smac7

Feb 15, 2009
Does anyone know for certain if passing through SafetyNet Helper means it'll always work with pay?

SlimSnoopOS

Jan 29, 2011
Does anyone know for certain if passing through SafetyNet Helper means it'll always work with pay?
Always? No. Google is actively trying to keep Android Pay safe in the eyes of banks and credit card companies, whether that is by blocking system/system-less root, or making adjustments server side to prevent workarounds that could potentially exploit the Android Pay experience.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Reactions: ikjadoon

Smac7

Feb 15, 2009
Always? No. Google is actively trying to keep Android Pay safe in the eyes of banks and credit card companies, whether that is by blocking system/system-less root, or making adjustments server side to prevent workarounds that could potentially exploit the Android Pay experience.

Well, i know google is trying to lock us out, but i thought safetynet was what Android pay uses to verify the the phone is indeed "safe". If the previous statement is correct, it would stand to reason that if it passes through safetynet helper then it'll also pass through android pay.

SlimSnoopOS

Jan 29, 2011
Well, i know google is trying to lock us out, but i thought safetynet was what Android pay uses to verify the the phone is indeed "safe". If the previous statement is correct, it would stand to reason that if it passes through safetynet helper then it'll also pass through android pay.

That API is probably the best indicator of success right now but I could also see that changing if Google decides it needs to be more thorough in its approach

jgummeson

Dec 9, 2011
Hadley, MA
Reactions: cabracorax

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Here's how I have Android Pay working on my rooted 5x:

-Starting from stock 6.01 (Some other ROMs are reported working. Most importantly it needs to be a ROM where Android Pay was working prior to systemless root)
    -Flashed systemless SuperSU 2.67 from TWRP (See UPDATE 3 below to make sure you have a systemless install)
    -run "adb shell"
    -from adb shell run "su"
    -from adb shell run "chmod 751 /su/bin"

Have fun!

With this change the checks in SafetyNet Helper are passing and I can add cards and make purchases with Android Pay. The change is surviving reboots and doesn't require messing with any settings in the SuperSU app to enable/disable root.

UPDATE 1: As others have pointed out this permissions change can also be done with a file manager like Root Explorer that lets you change permissions. Probably easier for most than ADB commands.

UPDATE 2: Some people haven't been able to get Android Pay working with just this permission change. Check if you have /su/xbin_bind - deleting this may get it working. Thanks to @bobby janow and @CSX321 for pointing this out.

UPDATE 3: To clarify on the systemless SuperSU installation (this seems to be a trouble point for some) - there are settings that need to be configured for the SuperSU install to make it systemless and to not create the system/xbin binding. The installer reads these options from a file on /data/. Since you don't have root yet you need write these settings over ADB in TWRP. If you don't see the /su/ directory, you probably don't have a systemless install. In that case you can go back to stock (restore system, boot, and vendor partitions). Then, when you reinstall SuperSU, these are the commands you need to send from your TWRP ADB shell:
    Code:
    echo SYSTEMLESS=true>>/data/.supersu
    echo BINDSYSTEMXBIN=false>>/data/.supersu

Once you've got SuperSU installed, change the permissions of /su/bin/ (either chmod or using a file explorer)
    Yep Android Pay worked for a purchase. Just chmod your /su/bin/ directory to 751. Works for me on stock with systemless root and I imagine it may work on other ROMs that used to work until the recent change in the SafetyNet checks.
    I am super pleased & happy to report/share the good news - Android Pay is working once again (intially failed CTS profile match with SafetyHelper Net) running on PureNexus (4/7/2015 build) on Nexus 5X - SU v2.71 and EL-X 1.12 (not running Xposed or V4A sound mod) - also flashed the FiFix_GoogleDialer option. Posted under PN thread - http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=66257321&postcount=2935

Good luck & hopefully, this will help others - if it still won't run, do a clean wipe/factory reset - then repeat. That's how I got it working last time, pay attention to the sequence, grab a cup of coffee or tea, sit back & patience - paid off for me. (update - works today (April 12th) at my favorite vendoring machine - for a bag of "healthy" chips, LOL)
    You can check Android pay by simply trying to add a card and you'll know right away.
    Yeah just removed my card and added it again. Went through all the contacting bank stuff and it worked. I think this is the real deal.