[SOLUTION] Phone shutting down with battery not empty

Search This thread

slekkas

Oct 25, 2007
This solved my problem regarding the phone turning of at 50% battery or 37% etc. You will see after applying the settings the battery percentage will change and show the real battery life.
I got this solution from a Google tech.

1) Power off your phone.
2) Press and hold the Power and Volume Down buttons. This will put the phone in fastboot.
3) Use the Volume buttons to scroll through the menu until you see "Bootloader logs"
4) Press and hold the power key for a long time (7+ seconds) until the phone reboots.

Circaflex

Dec 12, 2008
Tustin
This solved my problem regarding the phone turning of at 50% battery or 37% etc. You will see after applying the settings the battery percentage will change and show the real battery life.

1) Power off your phone.
2) Press and hold the Power and Volume Down buttons. This will put the phone in fastboot.
3) Use the Volume buttons to scroll through the menu until you see "Bootloader logs"
4) Press and hold the power key for a long time (7+ seconds) until the phone reboots.

is there a source for this information? a link or anything? did you just stumble upon this fix? or did you copy paste from somewhere else?

slekkas

Oct 25, 2007
is there a source for this information? a link or anything? did you just stumble upon this fix? or did you copy paste from somewhere else?

After days and days of searching and trying a zillion things without success and just as I was ready to RMA the phone I stumbled upon this suggestion in the Google forums. It was posted by a Google tech somewhere in the middle of a really big thread that I couldn't find again. No I didn't find this by myself but wanted to share for users to be able to find it easily.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

markwebb

I returned my phone a few weeks ago because of this issue and got a replacement from Motorola . I do notice certain kernels will create this situation moreso than the stock rom or stock kernel will not create this issue so that's also something to think about.
However, thanks for the insight should my replacement phone display the same symptoms.

Edit: interesting, I just tried your suggestion and my battery went from 91% to 66%.

I am on the validator kernel using the suggested settings.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using XDA Free mobile app

Last edited:
Reactions: Jophran

slekkas

Oct 25, 2007
I returned my phone a few weeks ago because of this issue and got a replacement from Motorola . I do notice certain kernels will create this situation moreso than the stock rom or stock kernel will not create this issue so that's also something to think about.
However, thanks for the insight should my replacement phone display the same symptoms.

Edit: interesting, I just tried your suggestion and my battery went from 91% to 66%.

I am on the validator kernel using the suggested settings.

That's good. It means that your battery would have died at about 25%.

Let me ask you? Are you using a wireless charger?

markwebb

That's good. It means that your battery would have died at about 25%.

Let me ask you? Are you using a wireless charger?

On occasion at work but not at home. Sounds like another cause. Why would it if I may ask?
I actually find them to be silly as you must plug the charger base via USB which I can do with phone! Just another step IMHO including finding the sweet spot when resting on charger.

slekkas

Oct 25, 2007
On occasion at work but not at home. Sounds like another cause. Why would it if I may ask?
I actually find them to be silly as you must plug the charger base via USB which I can do with phone! Just another step IMHO including finding the sweet spot when resting on charger.

I've noticed from my own experience and after talking with others that this issue has started after I started using a wireless charger. Maybe it's just a coincidence but I'm trying to gather some info.

markwebb

I've noticed from my own experience and after talking with others that this issue has started after I started using a wireless charger. Maybe it's just a coincidence but I'm trying to gather some info.

Also raises another question: those turbo chargers. I have 3 from moto and use at home. I don't think however as phone seems to charge correctly and capacity seems to register correctly.

slekkas

Oct 25, 2007
Also raises another question: those turbo chargers. I have 3 from moto and use at home. I don't think however as phone seems to charge correctly and capacity seems to register correctly.

I will be using the phone for 6-7 days without the wireless charger to see if the problem comes back. If it doesn't I will then use the wireless charger and see if problem shows up. This is an issue with a lot of people and many of them have RMA'd the phone just to realize that the problem came back and it's not a hardware issue.

Reactions: Namolas

markwebb

I will be using the phone for 6-7 days without the wireless charger to see if the problem comes back. If it doesn't I will then use the wireless charger and see if problem shows up. This is an issue with a lot of people and many of them have RMA'd the phone just to realize that the problem came back and it's not a hardware issue.

I am also going to use a custom kernel for a few days and then stock.

Sent from my XT1095 using XDA Free mobile app

suku_patel_22

Jun 22, 2011
Mumbai
OnePlus 7T
Google Pixel 4a
I am having the below issue.
1. If phone is around the 30% mark, and I receive a call, it would just switch off.
2. If i reboot the phone with it being around 30% mark, it will just switch off after displaying the lockscreen.

Is this behavior that is same as the one in the thread?

I tried the mentioned steps and my battery percentage stayed the same. It also shows the same battery percentage in TWRP.

slekkas

Oct 25, 2007
I am having the below issue.
1. If phone is around the 30% mark, and I receive a call, it would just switch off.
2. If i reboot the phone with it being around 30% mark, it will just switch off after displaying the lockscreen.

Is this behavior that is same as the one in the thread?

I tried the mentioned steps and my battery percentage stayed the same. It also shows the same battery percentage in TWRP.

Yes exactly the same problem. Keep pushing the power button a few seconds longer after phone switches off. My problem was fixed but a week later it came back. For others it was fixed permanently. There's a lot of people with this problem and they keep increasing. I fear that certain wireless chargers are causing it. Are you using a wireless charger?

suku_patel_22

Jun 22, 2011
Mumbai
OnePlus 7T
Google Pixel 4a
Yes exactly the same problem. Keep pushing the power button a few seconds longer after phone switches off. My problem was fixed but a week later it came back. For others it was fixed permanently. There's a lot of people with this problem and they keep increasing. I fear that certain wireless chargers are causing it. Are you using a wireless charger?

No I am not using any wireless charger. I only use the turbo charger at home and a 2A N7 charger at work.
I am waiting for 5.1 and will run it for a few days to test . Hope that 5.1 will fix this issue.

Also Google suppport asked me to reboot into safe mode and see if the issue is still there.

Last edited:

davisar4

Feb 24, 2014
I have this problem currently with my N6 and it is beyond madding.

First it would do it only when the phone was getting to 30~35% tried the fix.

Now the phone crashes it all the time. 80% crash, charge for a little bit use again 85% crash, charge to 100% use streaming a movie from google play 65% crash. now im going to try a custom rom to see if that will fix it.

tried the fix several time only seems to make it worse.
even with a blank install after reinstalling the stock img the phone will crash.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

1) Power off your phone.

After days and days of searching and trying a zillion things without success and just as I was ready to RMA the phone I stumbled upon this suggestion in the Google forums. It was posted by a Google tech somewhere in the middle of a really big thread that I couldn't find again. No I didn't find this by myself but wanted to share for users to be able to find it easily.

I've seen this before from a Google employee in a support forum , discussing how those steps *may* make the battery gauge more accurate , in the context of collecting bug reports while diagnosing this issue:
    https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!msg/nexus/D7er7nMbzHI/GHvS5CTa-1sJ

This seems very specific and one step above doing a factory reset (what I would have presumed would reset everything, but I guess not)
    I believe many folks are fooled by this, appearing to give them a few days of apparently ok use, then it gets bad again, only delaying the inevitable repair/rma/warranty job.
    where as the root cause for myself was a faulty battery that was replaced.
    I took some photos of the "bulge" here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=59049536&postcount=76
    IMHO this thread should be marked as "NOT A FIX"
    I'm using a Mac so I do all my commands via terminal
    Fastboot OEM unlock
    Fastboot reboot-bootloader
    Fastboot flash boot boot-r19
    Fastboot flash radio radio.IMG
    Fastboot reboots-bootloader
    Fastboot flash cache cache.IMG
    Fastboot flash recovery openrecovery.2.8.2.1.IMG
    Fastboot flash system system.IMG
    Fastboot flash userdata userdata.IMG
    Fastboot reboot-bootloader
    Reboot into twrp recovery to make sure you can
    Start up the system copy the ?superSU.2.60.zip?
    Reboot in to recovery and install SuperSU
    Reboot into system run SuperSU and update the ?binarys?
    And have fun

These are the steps I ran to to root and fix the battery issue, and it worked.
    Reboot to bootloader then push volume up one time. Unless...you're in the wrong forum and you have a 6P not a nexus 6

Yup, wrong post indeed lol. I saw it after i posted my question.