Enables the "double tap to wake" feature that the Nexus 6 shipped with.. It requires root, so you must unlock your bootloader and root before using this. I am offering it for free to members of xda-developers; you can find the apk below. If you wish to donate, feel free to download it from the Google Play Store for $0.99 (USD):
If you wish to view the code or build from source to verify that nothing mischievous is going on, you may find the code on Github. Note that the code may be slightly messy; most of my development experience lies elsewhere.
@techfanatic9 was kind enough to make a video demonstrating the installation and basic use of this app.
Google's built in implementation of double tap to wake isn't perfect. It's likely why it wasn't enabled out of the box. Some users have indicated that if their device has been sleeping for a while, double tap to wake isn't always reliable. It is very unlikely to cause harm to your Nexus 6, but extensive longterm testing has not yet been done. Additionally, this is unlikely to work on anything but the Nexus 6. By downloading now, you are accepting the liability if something were to go wrong. Please let me know if you run into any issues or have any questions.
Version 1.2 - Mostly bugfixes.
- Enhanced error checking.
- If a non rooted device opens this application, it should no longer crash.
- Small formatting changes.
- Settings now persist through reboot.
- Changed name from "Doubletap to Unlock" to "Doubletap to Wake".
- Updated Icon. Doesn't look amazing, but it's better than it was.
- Updated some text.
- Implemented the ability to turn on or off Double Tap to Wake