Remove All Ads from XDA

[Requires Root][Open Source] Doubletap to Wake Enabler v1.2

84 posts
Thanks Meter: 245

By naxir, Member on 22nd November 2014, 09:43 AM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
Nexus 6 Doubletap To Wake
Description
Enables the "double tap to wake" feature that the Nexus 6 shipped with.. It requires root, so you must unlock your bootloader and root before using this. I am offering it for free to members of xda-developers; you can find the apk below. If you wish to donate, feel free to download it from the Google Play Store for $0.99 (USD):

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...oubletapunlock

If you wish to view the code or build from source to verify that nothing mischievous is going on, you may find the code on Github. Note that the code may be slightly messy; most of my development experience lies elsewhere.

https://github.com/smskelley/Nexus-6-Tap-to-Wake/

Video
@techfanatic9 was kind enough to make a video demonstrating the installation and basic use of this app.

Caveats
Google's built in implementation of double tap to wake isn't perfect. It's likely why it wasn't enabled out of the box. Some users have indicated that if their device has been sleeping for a while, double tap to wake isn't always reliable. It is very unlikely to cause harm to your Nexus 6, but extensive longterm testing has not yet been done. Additionally, this is unlikely to work on anything but the Nexus 6. By downloading now, you are accepting the liability if something were to go wrong. Please let me know if you run into any issues or have any questions.
Changelog
Version 1.2 - Mostly bugfixes.
  • Enhanced error checking.
  • If a non rooted device opens this application, it should no longer crash.
  • Small formatting changes.
Version 1.1 - Persist through reboot.
  • Settings now persist through reboot.
  • Changed name from "Doubletap to Unlock" to "Doubletap to Wake".
  • Updated Icon. Doesn't look amazing, but it's better than it was.
  • Updated some text.
Version 1.0 - Initial Version
  • Implemented the ability to turn on or off Double Tap to Wake
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen.v.1.2.png
Views:	21162
Size:	180.7 KB
ID:	3033079  
Attached Files
File Type: apk N6DoubleTapWake.v1.2.apk - [Click for QR Code] (66.9 KB, 70084 views)
Last edited by naxir; 11th January 2015 at 09:23 PM. Reason: Opensourced
The Following 187 Users Say Thank You to naxir For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift naxir Ad-Free

22nd November 2014, 09:51 AM |#2  
Flag Issaquah
Thanks Meter: 116

More
Dope! Testing right meow

---------- Post added at 11:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:49 AM ----------

You, sir or miss, are an amazing person. Coming from having the g2 and then the g3 I'm pretty accustomed to the knock on/off. Thank you for getting this out there on the swift tip.
22nd November 2014, 10:13 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 30

More
Thanks, I am coming from the G3 and I still double tap my nexus at times since I'm so used to it. This works perfectly, I wonder why google took the feature out?
22nd November 2014, 10:27 AM |#4  
Los Angeles
Thanks Meter: 24

More
Just tested and works. This feature is essential since the phone lacks infrared sensors like the X. Nice work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by naxir

(I apologize if this is not the correct forum to post this to. Please let me know if there is a more applicable place to put it.)

I have created an app for the Nexus 6 which enables the "double tap to unlock" feature. It requires root, so you must unlock your bootloader and root before using this.

I have only tested it on my device. I wouldn't expect it to work on anything but the Nexus 6. It is very unlikely to cause harm to other devices, but know that by downloading it right now, you are accepting the liability if something were to go wrong. Please let me know if you run into any issues or have any questions.

22nd November 2014, 11:03 AM |#5  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Burleson TX
Thanks Meter: 7,912

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp5cartman

Thanks, I am coming from the G3 and I still double tap my nexus at times since I'm so used to it. This works perfectly, I wonder why google took the feature out?

I dunno, but there is a commit in aosp that specifically disabled double tap to wake in HAL, for shamu.

Possibly to avoid pocket double tap? Or random double taps on accident.
22nd November 2014, 11:06 AM |#6  
Flag Dover, DE
Thanks Meter: 1,081

Donate to Me
More
If you reboot your phone, it breaks. You have to re-enable it again. Just letting you know.
22nd November 2014, 11:11 AM |#7  
Flag USA
Thanks Meter: 130

More
it would be cool if you could double tap and wake the screen in ambient display mode
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dirtbikerr450 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift dirtbikerr450 Ad-Free
22nd November 2014, 11:20 AM |#8  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Burleson TX
Thanks Meter: 7,912

Donate to Me
More
It doesn't take the proximity sensor into effect, so if your pocket double taps your phone, it will wake up. Next to my buddies OnePlus. If you cover the proximity sensor it won't double tap to wake.

This will wake no matter what. Just an FYI.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to antiochasylum For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift antiochasylum Ad-Free
22nd November 2014, 12:13 PM |#9  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Springfield, Ma
Thanks Meter: 2,769

More
Works great for me. Thank you very much @naxir now the Nexus behaves like my G3
22nd November 2014, 01:24 PM |#10  
Flag Minneapolis
Thanks Meter: 42

More
Thanks for this! Any battery impact?
22nd November 2014, 01:36 PM |#11  
Flag MD
Thanks Meter: 16

More
Thumbs up
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTEChump

Thanks for this! Any battery impact?

Clearly this amazing OP just made this for us. No one knows.

THANKS OPS, you da shiz. Tested and works flowlessly.

Read More
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)