I moved to iOS, and these are the things I miss about Android. (Namely the Nexus6P)

Search This thread

acheney1990

Oct 29, 2013
Saint Stephen
I've found myself considering the switch lately. I used to use only iPhones but switched to Android after the iPhone 5 and I've have numerous Android Devices since. I'm not entirely sure why I'm thinking about switching back but something about the uniformity with iOS and being so easy to get accessories. Plus the simplicity that it just work. But I know there are things I would really miss about Android. I wish I could just use a new iPhone for a while and see how I feel. I don't want to buy an iPhone without seeing if it's just seeing the grass on the other side is greener and then regretting it.

gekkehenkie11

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 9, 2010
What I cant stand about IoS is that you can't peak * passwords. And the whole fact that you need to install itunes to just copy some mp3's, that's just plain crazy.

Reactions: The Zel and wakers

Xandlinger

Feb 10, 2010
The Google Photos thing is what did me in.

I didn't realize that my old iPhone 6 didn't automatically backup with Google Photos like my previous Galaxy S6 did. I only opened the app once to set it up and I figured it would be good to go!

Joke is on me. Went to the Netherlands for vacation, took a lot of photos, lost my phone somewhere in the airport in the states. Thought all my pictures backed up, not a single one did :(

Loving the Nexus 6P. Miss the camera on the 6, though, even though the 6P takes better shots it just isn't as quick/easy to use.

LosserKlosser

Jan 22, 2012
As a Windows/Linux PC and Android user, I find iOS and iPhones/iPads extremely difficult and illogical to use. My father in law has the iPhone 6 and an iPad air and I am the one having to do tech support. It is such a fundamentally different ecosystem that I find myself in need of Google to answer basic questions about setting up email and such. I'm actually considering buying a used iPhone just to get to know the system.

I, for one, just don't get how Apple has gotten away with the whole 'oh iOS and iPhone are SO user friendly!' thing.

It's a closed system with end-to-end control. Coming from platforms where you can just throw everything at your machine and it will run it or copy it or store it in any way you want, iOS is like a ball and chain around your ankle.

As far as I am concerned, iTunes is a virus/malware. Holy ****, I hate it.

Sendt fra min Nexus 6P med Tapatalk

gekkehenkie11

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 9, 2010
As a Windows/Linux PC and Android user, I find iOS and iPhones/iPads extremely difficult and illogical to use. My father in law has the iPhone 6 and an iPad air and I am the one having to do tech support. It is such a fundamentally different ecosystem that I find myself in need of Google to answer basic questions about setting up email and such. I'm actually considering buying a used iPhone just to get to know the system.

I, for one, just don't get how Apple has gotten away with the whole 'oh iOS and iPhone are SO user friendly!' thing.

It's a closed system with end-to-end control. Coming from platforms where you can just throw everything at your machine and it will run it or copy it or store it in any way you want, iOS is like a ball and chain around your ankle.

Amen to that !! I really never understand people who say that iOS is user friendly. To me it's just so illogical. Mind you, I was maintainer for the Note 4 Cyanogenmod, so I know some stuff about phones but when my wife asks me to help her out with basic stuff on her IPhone 6, I almost always end up googling. It's just not logical at all to me.

darkjedi

Jun 7, 2005
Denver
iOS is for people who like simplicity. It's not for someone who wants to customize everything. I'm using a 6S+ right now and the fluidity and simplicity of things is great. Granted, certain things aren't on iOS, but to each their own. I want simplicity right now, and iOS does that. Both OS' are great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2skies

Jun 12, 2015
Let me provide the other side of the coin. I just switched from a jailbroken iPhone 6 to a Nexus 6p. It was highly, highly customized (although no where near as customizable as any Android device with an active dev community)...but it was boring. Things worked, sure. Was it consistent? For the most part. Did it wow me and make me want to take my device out of my pocket? Not really.

My iPhone became just a tool to just do things in its own little world and not an immersive mobile experience within the world. For example, I couldn't set NFC tags and have them do different things at different places. I can easily with the 6p. The world seems so much more open on Android, and the 6p is a beautiful device to take it all in. Content consumption became mundane. I took the iPhone out of my pocket and didn't really feel enthralled in the slightest, I didn't set it down and regard it as a beautiful object but rather just a piece of technology everyone else had to do the same crap everyone else did.

Maybe I'm overthinking it, but I'm happy with my decision.

Last edited:

taipan21

Dec 31, 2006
New York City
I use a 6p alongside an iPhone 6s Plus and once you get over the quirks in each os there aren't too many issues.

You don't need iTunes for day to day usage if you use the right tools. Being a cross platform user may have forced me to find alternatives to platform lockup from Apple.

I use Google Music All Access for music, Plex for video, Pocket Casts, Dropbox, Onenote and the Google Apps suite.

I use iTunes about as much as Android File Transfer which sucks on OS X.

tsuttie99

i jumped ship from iOS after my iPhone 4 started showing it's age... I always gave Apple credit for that nice piece of hardware for its time. thing never broke just got old..
my biggest complaint back then was the auto arrange icons... That was I believe ios 5? we are now at 9?? Blown away this is still the case.
Also itunes. screw that program.

uodii

Dec 14, 2012
The other thing you missed imo is drag and drop, iTunes is the single biggest reason i don't own an iPhone

Sent from my Lenovo YT3-X50F using Tapatalk

This a million times over. Drag and Drop is by far the greatest thing since sliced bread...OK, that's quite an exaggeration, but it's a must for a phone.

farfromovin

Aug 15, 2011
Oxnard, CA
All valid points here. I switched when Apple came out with a real sized phone with the 6 Plus (and a 128gb option) and it was cool for a bit but then realized how damn good some Android camera's are, plus fast charging, and customization. I'm a huge fan of most Nexus devices and the Galaxy Note series. Now that the Nexus has a capable camera and 128gb option, it's a wrap for me.

slaydog

Dec 14, 2009
This a million times over. Drag and Drop is by far the greatest thing since sliced bread...OK, that's quite an exaggeration, but it's a must for a phone.
IOS is not intuitive at all!
My wife asked me to transfer a video that she filmed on Christmas off of her iPad (it was over 2 gigs) and I thought 'sure, give me about 30 seconds...'

Plug it into the computer then go to Windows Explorer and try and find the iPad so I can view what's on it… No such luck!

Flash forward about an hour later, and I was about to throw that stupid iPad out of the window, lol. I didn't even have iTunes installed [emoji51]

And Siri SUCKS compared to Google Now!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Vangelis13

Amen to that !! I really never understand people who say that iOS is user friendly. To me it's just so illogical. Mind you, I was maintainer for the Note 4 Cyanogenmod, so I know some stuff about phones but when my wife asks me to help her out with basic stuff on her IPhone 6, I almost always end up googling. It's just not logical at all to me.

You are a legend, singlehandedly defeated that locked monster! Respect.

(Sorry for the oot but not enough respect has been paid to the man)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I had the Nexus 6P, but as I take a lot of video, the lack of OIS really was a killer for me, so I made the jump to iOS to see which one I prefer. I'm still a baby iOS user, but I do feel like it's superior, but there are a few things I miss from Android (a.k.a. Nexus 6P).

https://www.the-newshub.com/lifestyle/moving-to-ios-6-things-i-miss-about-android
    Can't you just tell us here instead of sending us somewhere else?

Sent from a 128th Legion Stormtrooper 6P

Definitely sounds like click bait.
    I went from an iPhone 6S+ to the 6p. IMO, your list of negatives about iOS is way too short! I'd add:
    -Can't turn off auto arrange icons
    -No app drawer. So if the app is installed, it's on one of your home screens.
    -Difficult to make a song your ringtone.
    -Will not port all songs from old Android phone. Itunes must think I don't own them all. Have to go through a process to convert them.
    -App store sucks compared to Play Store. No ability to sort by feedback, very hard to find useful information. Total disaster organizationally. And most decent apps are not free.
    -Have to jailbreak it just to theme it! And Jailbreak had not been achieved on the release I was on.
    -Apple maps suck, and so does the current gen Google maps for iphones, since it won't locally store things like "home" and recent searches.
    -Notification bar does not show temp.
    -Stock keyboard sucks (no swiping) and Apple won't let 3rd party app makers access the speech to text microphone button for their better keyboards. So you have to switch back and forth if you want to use voice to text.
    -Where are my home screen Widgets?
    -Can't change things on a system level, like the keyboard or messaging. You can change it for some apps, but sometimes the stock one will pop up instead.

Opera mini browser will not allow typing input from the Swiftkey keyboard. Had to switch back to the horrid stock keyboard.

All these little wrinkles just make it feel less refined than a newer Android. Other stuff gives that feel, too. Like most settings for most apps are in the Settings area. But some apps have settings only in the app, some have some settings in both places. And the lack of a back button makes the interface less efficient since not every screen you progress to has a back link. Makes it a bit confusing.
    Agreed. Good & concise read. I don't fault the OP for needing to make a living. He appears to be a good writer! :)