Nexus 6P vs. Moto X Pure

Nexus 6P or Moto X Pure(Style)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Search This thread

nelsomnio

Nov 18, 2013
Moxo X Features on Nexus 6P?

What about the "Moto Voice" feature? (the "hey moto x" wake up low battery usage thing) I really love this function!, anyone know if the Nexus 6P will have something similar?, oh... and the "off-screen" notifications too!

please please please :(

SymbioticGenius

Aug 24, 2012
What about the "Moto Voice" feature? (the "hey moto x" wake up low battery usage thing) I really love this function!, anyone know if the Nexus 6P will have something similar?, oh... and the "off-screen" notifications too!

please please please :(

The current Nexus has them in a somewhat different form, so I don't see why the new one won't.

Sent from my Nexus 6

stevew84

Oct 21, 2010
Google Pixel 3
I am saying there is lots of hype for development on nexus devices, but since nexus 4, there hasn't been much going on. The days when Paranoid Android team was developing and Moles was with them used to be great. From what I recall a few other teams developed last year, but they didn't bring nothing new.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A

Wait, what? I do agree that when PA first came around, certain things were pretty awesome, like PIE (I think they came up with that).

But to say that there isn't anything going on is an understatement. There are plenty of teams still out there which provide great ROM's that add to the stability/performance of stock Android. Chroma/Slim/Dirty Unicorns probably being the largest teams.

I will admit that I miss the likes of Vanir/Carbon/PA/Morfic.

I think we're reaching a plateau regarding development on these phones; what else is there to do? With the power of the processors and amount of memory, there aren't many "tweaks" that are really boosting performance anymore.

With that said, there are still some key things which developers are improving:

-Sound quality/loudness.
-Navigation bar height adjustment/customization.
-Scrolling Cache.
-Hardware button customization.

These settings should be native to the Nexus devices, if not anything else.

I'm done with my little rant.

stevew84

Oct 21, 2010
Google Pixel 3
Vanir... even on the OPO thing flew and got me 8 SOTD. I might try and get 6P soon, was disappointed with the Nexus 5X in every way.

If the Nexus 5X came out BEFORE the Moto Nexus 6, or congruent with it, then I might want to pick up the 5X. But for now it's too little too late.

Then again, if the 5X had a QHD screen, I'd probably be picking that up.

Spike96

May 28, 2013
Moto X Pure or Nexus 6P?

Help me out guys, I've been struggling with this question for a while. I have a Moto X Pure at my house, but won't get to it until October 10 as I am at college right now.
Although the Nexus 6P beats the Moto X Pure in almost every specification, the differences are very minimal and can easily be overlooked by any regular user. But we're not regular users are we?
What has made this such a hard decision for me is the fact that I've customized my Moto X Pure, and I do like the design a lot better.
However, what does attract me to the Nexus 6P is the bigger battery, better development, and the fingerprint sensor. Not sure all of this is worth an extra $200, however. (I say $200 because I got the MXP [w/ SD card] for $450, but need 128 GB Nexus 6P which is $650]

Thoughts? I understand entirely that this is opinion based but I am asking you to sway me.

razor237

Jan 10, 2012
Really i think only you can answer that ...... how bad do you want custom roms and such. is security an issue for you that makes the finger print scanner a need, i for one haven't bothered with it in any phone that had it, never seemed to work right once i put a case on it. do you have an extra $200 i mean that could be a few books or case and books ;)

The moto x pure is a nice phone seems fast and not too laggy to me, having a SD card is nice for that extra bump in space when you decide you need more. i like the display nice and bright outside. Im getting the 64GB N6P should have gone 128 i think dont know why oh why they wont put a SD card back in the nexus its kinda stupid. If the Display is like the N6 ill be sending it back

Reactions: Spike96

Aridon

May 14, 2007
I sent back my Moto Pure. I really wasn't that impressed with it. Battery life was pretty poor without turning off just about everything and under clocking the GPU. Development will likely be almost non existent for that device. You also see quite a few complaints about micro lag doing different things and I certainly saw it as well with my unit. No telling how fast the gutted Moto, err Leno, will get updates out.

I wouldn't say it's a bad device. I just wouldn't upgrade to that from my OnePlus One. Had they gone with a 1080p LCD so the gpu didn't suck so much juice trying to send math to the display it might of helped a lot with heat and battery life. Not too mention release a couple of months ago so they didn't compete with the neuxs. I think they'd of done a little better. As it stands there is no comparison between the two devices. Its also not fair to compare 128gb of on board to 32gb on on board, SD is nice but its not nearly the same thing as unified memory.

I have no regrets whatsoever packing it up and sending it back to Moto. Hope that helps you in some way.

Last edited:

razor237

Jan 10, 2012
yeah i agree about the micro lag, wasnt bad but was there ... battery life i didnt find to be that bad for me at least, seemed to be the same as my N6 and note 4 for me

orcsbane13

Apr 6, 2010
I sent back my Moto Pure. I really wasn't that impressed with it. Battery life was pretty poor without turning off just about everything and under clocking the GPU. Development will likely be almost non existent for that device. You also see quite a few complaints about micro lag doing different things and I certainly saw it as well with my unit. No telling how fast the gutted Moto, err Leno, will get updates out.

I wouldn't say it's a bad device. I just wouldn't upgrade to that from my OnePlus One. Had they gone with a 1080p LCD so the gpu didn't suck so much juice trying to send math to the display it might of helped a lot with heat and battery life. Not too mention release a couple of months ago so they didn't compete with the neuxs. I think they'd of done a little better. As it stands there is no comparison between the two devices. Its also not fair to compare 128gb of on board to 32gb on on board, SD is nice but its not nearly the same thing as unified memory.

I have no regrets whatsoever packing it up and sending it back to Moto. Hope that helps you in some way.

This guy sums it up nicely. I sent back mine and my wife's moto xp. They were horrible on battery life and lag. I was disappointed. I really wanted to like that phone. I also had massive scratches on my screen after only 2 days. My 2013 moto x has no scratches on the screen and I've never used a screen protector.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

sdelcegno

Feb 12, 2009
I had the pure I returned it. Battery life wasn't great. Ear piece call volume sucked. Also ran very very hot. It's a decent phone but nothing wowed me on it.

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

shadymouse

Nov 1, 2007
Manhattan
Same sentiment I had as well, It didn't wow me whatsoever. I came from the OPO and it did not feel better in any way, including build quality. I think I mentioned in the Moto X forum that the Leather they used this time around felt bland. I did not like the texture at all. It may be good for a Handbag as they suggested but it is not ideal for sitting in your hand all day. I experienced some micro lagging too and I was surprised considering how Moto built it's reputation on near Stock and smoothness experience.

Big Cam

Apr 6, 2011
West Fargo
Help me out guys, I've been struggling with this question for a while. I have a Moto X Pure at my house, but won't get to it until October 10 as I am at college right now.
Although the Nexus 6P beats the Moto X Pure in almost every specification, the differences are very minimal and can easily be overlooked by any regular user. But we're not regular users are we?
What has made this such a hard decision for me is the fact that I've customized my Moto X Pure, and I do like the design a lot better.
However, what does attract me to the Nexus 6P is the bigger battery, better development, and the fingerprint sensor. Not sure all of this is worth an extra $200, however. (I say $200 because I got the MXP [w/ SD card] for $450, but need 128 GB Nexus 6P which is $650]

Thoughts? I understand entirely that this is opinion based but I am asking you to sway me.

Be sure to search, before making new threads, this whole forum is only like a week old.
http://xdaforums.com/nexus-6p/help/nexus-6p-vs-moto-x-pure-t3213892

con100

Aug 19, 2013
I'm returning my Pure for the 6P. The battery life is horrid. I run stock and I barely get 3 hours of sot over 10 hours or less.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

tranemonk33

Sep 16, 2015
Boston
This is a great discussion... I have two Moto X Pure Editions in the "device being built" stage. I'm actually hoping Motorola increases their delays as ideally I'd like to have BOTH the Moto X PE and the Nexus 6P in my hand to physically compare one against the other (during their respective return windows). For example even though both have front facing stereo speakers I want to hear which one sounds better. I would also like to compare the physical size and weight.

I'm leaning toward keeping the Nexus and shipping back the Motos. The 128GB on the 6P was very attractive, along with the report that P6 camera was slightly better than Moto's. I'm really hoping that Google ships these much sooner than Nov!

krazyq

Jul 24, 2012
Minneapolis
I have the Moto X Pure...for now
Pros:
A little bit smaller in size
Moto Maker so you can customize the device to your liking which is cool
Moto X Display Notification, it's really amazing how quick it is to unlock your phone and access your notifications.
Moto X Apps
Cons:
Battery Life and
Camera

DrunkFuX666

Feb 19, 2011
Google Pixel XL
Google Pixel 3a XL
I think another important point to consider as a Con of the Moto is the fact that Since Motorola's acquisition by Lenovo, its been seen that they have gotten very sluggish with their updates.
I'm sure most of you have seen that they have already dropped further development for the newest Moto E. Which many are not happy about along with delayed updates for previous moto X versions.

In light of this slow downfall of the Reputation which Google was quick to make for Moto, its bit too risky now on the software development side to buy something which may lose official support within 18 months.

Sent from my Nexus 5

monkfish_lad

May 1, 2012
Nottingham
I returned my Moto X Pure / Style 2015. A decent effort but just wasn't the update to the 2014 X that I had expected.

The Good:
The Screen - It is a good effort by Moto. The 2k LCD does a good job and can go extremely bright and extremely dim for all situations.
Moto Maker - The leather back I ordered felt great.
SD Card - Can't beat being able to add a 128gb card to the phone for some extra storage.

The Bad:
Poor build quality - The volume and power buttons were loose to the point of making a noise every time you moved the phone. Overall the phone felt like a big step down in build quality over the 2014 Moto X.
Poor Battery - Was struggling to get through a day with ~2.5 SOT
Poor Speakers - The speakers cracked and popped anywhere near full volume
Vibration Motor - Weakest vibration I have had on any phone. I didn't think it would matter to me very much but I found it really annoying.

I feel as if lots of corners were cut with the Moto X. In the UK the cost of the 6p is a very similar price to the Moto X so it is a no brainer for me to go for the 6P.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Here's a photo of my 2 day old daughter, taken with my moto x pure:

0a19ad08bd0acbc579fd4d67f61bf727.jpg

Bangin' on my unlocked/rooted
    Moto X Pure
    The price is only about $100 more given you keep storage options about the same.

The only downside I see to the Nexus 6P is no SD slot and it costs more. I originally wanted the Moto X since it was affordable, has SD storage and was 5.7inches. The Nexus seems to be a better option with the only downside being no SD storage and it's a bit more expensive, although in my opinion AMOLED is a better screen choice than LCD so the Nexus has that going for it too, and a bigger battery....... Here is what I "think" I know after watching the event.

Nexus 6P
    Pros:
    USB-C
    Larger battery 3450mah vs 3000 mah on the X
    Faster software updates
    Marshmallow preinstalled
    AMOLED screen

Cons:
    A little more expensive
    no SD card slot.

Moto X Pure(Style)
    Pros:
    Cheaper
    SD Card Slot

Cons:
    LCD screen as opposed to AMOLED
    Smaller battery 3000mah vs 3450mah
    micro USB vs USB-C

Is anyone else struggling with this?
    Here's a photo of my 2 day old daughter, taken with my moto x pure:

0a19ad08bd0acbc579fd4d67f61bf727.jpg

Bangin' on my unlocked/rooted
    Moto X Pure
    Congrats, she looks weel cute.

Before you know it, you'll be chasing her around the house lol. Kids grow up wayyyy too fast.
    This is a great discussion... I have two Moto X Pure Editions in the "device being built" stage. I'm actually hoping Motorola increases their delays as ideally I'd like to have BOTH the Moto X PE and the Nexus 6P in my hand to physically compare one against the other (during their respective return windows). For example even though both have front facing stereo speakers I want to hear which one sounds better. I would also like to compare the physical size and weight.

I'm leaning toward keeping the Nexus and shipping back the Motos. The 128GB on the 6P was very attractive, along with the report that P6 camera was slightly better than Moto's. I'm really hoping that Google ships these much sooner than Nov!

I was in the same situation but have both in hand right now.

- The battery life seems better on the 6P
    - The front facing speakers on both are great
    - The camera on the 6P takes warmer pictures and seems to show more accurate colors (I have sRGB enabled and compared pictures from both devices on the same screen)
    - 6P camera does a much better job in darker rooms without having to use the flash to blow out the pic
    - MXPE pictures allow you to zoom in further, but the details don't look as crisp as the 6P
    - MXPE seems doesn't get loud enough when using the earpiece for calls
    - I haven't noticed lag on either phone
    - MXPE seems to get warmer during video playback
    - I prefer the MXPE screen since it doesn't have the rainbow effect when not looking at it directly
    - But I am not a fan of the curved screen edges on the MXPE (this makes it impossible to have a clean tempered glass screen protector without a lot of room around the edges)

I have been trying to decide which one to keep, but after only 2 days it is looking like the 6P is the clear winner. Just need to make sure I am OK with the much larger device size. The MXPE is a good size for me since I came from the OPO, but it isn't that much better of a device overall and it is a lot thicker than both the 6P and OPO.

Hope this helps and good luck making your decision.