Charging intermittently stops and resumes rapidly

Search This thread

Victorminator

Mar 29, 2011
Hull
My 6P on 6.0.1 stock with the march update has had occasional times where it will intermittently charge, then stop, then charge endlessly, changing back and forth about once a second or more often. There's been times I've woken up, like today overnight when I noticed it barely inched up a percent or two on the Google USB-C cable connected to my laptop.
To isolate this from being a defective cable issue, this has also happened with the Google charger that came with the phone. I would see the screen turn on in fact, like when you first plug the phone with the screen off, to indicate charging has begun. That would occur every few seconds.

I'm a little concerned. The time it happened with the charger, a reboot seemed to have calmed it down. But today no matter the restart, the charging just keeps cycling nonstop.

Anyone else had this? Would it be wise to file a problem with the Google forums and contact support?
Thanks for any help!

Victorminator

Mar 29, 2011
Hull
Dang, good to know I'm not alone!
I've also experienced higher battery drain (twice more I'd say) than normal recently. Even overnight when I used to see hourly drain rates of 0.5%, now I see 1.5% and higher. Getting worried the charging issue may be damaging the battery. But it could also be the patch or a rogue app.

dontbeweakvato

May 16, 2013
St louis
Google Nexus 4
Google Nexus 5
Well either the cords bad, the brick is bad, or the receptacle. Or the charging port on the phone, the battery or power control module in the phone. Or if theirs a thick case on your phone.
Sounds like it starts to charge then stops. But I'm no electrician. Oh wait, yes I am.

Last edited:

Victorminator

Mar 29, 2011
Hull
It starts to charge, then stops as though the cable was disconnected, then resumes within half a second, then disconnects, and so on and so forth non stop.
Case might be a reason. It's a rubber and plastic transparent Spigen one. I'll try removing it when it happens again next time.
But at this rate, sounds like 3 people are having the same issue, and if it's a hardware one, then damn....

Bounty44

Feb 3, 2011
Orlando
This isn't the charger... There is something buggy with the update. I woke up a few days ago after the march update with an almost dead phone, and the charging icon flashing over the battery, as if the phone new it was plugged in but refused to charge. I unplugged and plugged it back in with the same result. I restarted and tried again, same result. I was only able to get it to charge my plugging it into my girlfriend's nexus 5x charger, which instantly started charging my phone. I went back to my charger and all of the sudden no issue and the phone was charging fine. There is definitely something up with this update.

flightsimmer

Oct 6, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I'm not seeing the same exact issue as you guys, but I AM having charging issues after updating to MHC19I. I can still charge my phone from the stock charger and my other USB-C chargers, but now none of them allow my phone to charge rapidly. Do you guys who can get your devices to charge from a rapid charge compatible charger see the "Charging Rapidly" message on the lock screen? Ever since this recent update, I've noticed that my device isn't (and is taking over 2 hours to charge fully from ~20%).

summer_love

Jun 14, 2010
UK
I have this problem too. It's fixed by a reboot so I'm assuming it's not a hardware problem. It only happens once a week or so.

The first time it happened I didn't notice the charging/not charging and only realised something weird had happened because my phone was off & showing fully charged. My phone is never switched off.

I figured it out the next time when I noticed the screen was still on during the night. Switching from charging to not charging was keeping the screen on.

So glad it's not just me.

Victorminator

Mar 29, 2011
Hull
I'm not seeing the same exact issue as you guys, but I AM having charging issues after updating to MHC19I. I can still charge my phone from the stock charger and my other USB-C chargers, but now none of them allow my phone to charge rapidly. Do you guys who can get your devices to charge from a rapid charge compatible charger see the "Charging Rapidly" message on the lock screen? Ever since this recent update, I've noticed that my device isn't (and is taking over 2 hours to charge fully from ~20%).

I normally see it say that on the USB C charger. That being said, you seem to have an intermediate speed going on, as opposed to super slow normal USB cable speeds and the USB-C fast charger. In my experience most 1-1.5V low amp ports like my Mac's, or the car's USB port will charge at a rate of about 1% per 3-5 minutes. So a full charge would take 8-9 hours from 0%. From the USB-C wall charger it would be about 1%/m so an hour and forty is enough to get it back to full.

Based on that your charger seems to be somewhere in the middle.
But yes it isn't normal. If you are using Google's native hardware, you should see the same charging speed as I am.

I'm just terribly worried this cycling is destroying my battery. I have definitely not gotten the same battery life the last few weeks.

mackinho10

Mar 31, 2016
Hey guys!

I experience sort of the same problem as you guys, but i have the Nexus 5x
i copy from my thread at google nexus forum

My phone just randomly die. It will work for like 2 hours. Almost like the battery would been disconnected.
When the phone shutdowns it says the battery is low and try to charge. The Battery icon with a flash is showing, but just for 5-7 seconds, then it shutdown again and it's looping again and again and again.... To get out of the loop i'm booting in to fast boot, then push at start. and it is almost 50/50 if it is working. It can be booting up and you see the red/yellow/green/blue yada yada boot-up sequence then in 5-7 seconds in to the sequence it would shutdown again immediately.

I tried several factory-resets. re-flashed to stock. Nothing helps.

/marcus

Last edited:

zxphenomenalxz

Sep 2, 2010
Same issue

Just starting having this issue. It constantly says charging then a second later shows no charging and the process keeps repeating itself. I did a reset and the issue seems to be resolved for now. Really hope this isn't a constant issue. Definitely appears to be software related though.

Victorminator

Mar 29, 2011
Hull
Just starting having this issue. It constantly says charging then a second later shows no charging and the process keeps repeating itself. I did a reset and the issue seems to be resolved for now. Really hope this isn't a constant issue. Definitely appears to be software related though.
I hadn't had it for a while then recently it happened again once. I still don't know what triggers it for sure.
The battery drain is also rather random. There are days I can expect the unit to idle and drain at or below 2%/h, but lately it just goes through it way faster, twice that. I am unsure why and how that happens so randomly. Seems the Google Play Services and Google Apps are using up some %s. Not much else I can identify.

bhavenbid

Nov 7, 2016
Any updates on this? My Nexus 6P started showing the same symptoms (either won't charge at all, or charging cycles on and off rapidly (< 1 second) and only sometimes charges). The issue appeared out of the blue 4-5 days ago, just before the 1 year anniversary of receiving the phone. I tried different cables and adapters, still no change. Last night at 11pm it was at 50% when I set it to charge and it seemed to charge. This morning at 6:30 am it had only charged up to 83% and was charging on and off. Worried about how to reliably use the phone if it won't charge, and also how this might affect the battery / other circuitry.
Any help/tips appreciated!

Edit: The phone hasn't been dropped or had any other issue that may affect the hardware. Also, no OS update or anything recently (AFAIK - it did not ask me to install anything, not sure if there were any silent updates). It is currently on Android 7.0 Nougat (baseband version angler-03.72, build NBD90X, security patch level Oct 5, 2016).

Last edited:

tylergochay

Jun 22, 2016
I'm having the same issue on my LG G5. Started out of the blue and like others, restarting temporarily solves the problem. Anyone solve this yet?