FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Nexus 6p microphone

379 posts
Thanks Meter: 77

By dia_naji, Senior Member on 1st November 2015, 09:48 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I noticed when i talk on my phone and place the phone on my desk on its back, people say they can't hear me... Is there only one mic on the nexus 6p which is on the back ?

1st November 2015, 10:19 PM |#2  
Flag Bolton
Thanks Meter: 150

More
Getting the same whenever I hunch my shoulder up to balance the phone near my cheek

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
1st November 2015, 10:49 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
I think I had a similar issue with my Nexus 5. When the noise cancellation mic was blocked, people would have a hard time hearing me. My guess is now that the mic is on the back and not the top it is easier to block.
2nd November 2015, 01:34 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 320

More
The Nexus 6P is supposed to have three microphones. I assume the main mic is in the bottom speaker. There is clearly a mic hole on the back just below the camera hump, so that may be what people are blocking. I'm not sure where the third mic is, perhaps in the top speaker.

It is a little odd that block one of the extra noise cancellation mics on the back of a phone would disrupt call quality (at least in a quiet place). This is a common design and you'd think the obvious use case of speakerphone with the phone sitting on a flat surface would be considered.

Perhaps, once one of the noise cancellation mics is blocked, the phone can't tell what's background noise and what's your voice, so it starts attenuating your voice as if it's background noise?

I'm assuming the 6P using Qualcomm's Fluence noise cancellation, which is what most phones with Qualcomm chipsets use these days. Fluence has always been kind of mediocre as far as noice cancellation goes. The Nexus 5 with Fluence tended to cut people's voice off a lot. I was hoping the extra third microphone would improve things, but it's also the algorithm that matters.

There's definitely better noise cancellation out there. The Audience chip (now called EarSmart) is probably the best. It was in the Nexus One, which had amazing noise cancellation (and also in the iPhone 4). But both Apple and Google dropped it. Samsung put it in a lot of the Galaxy S phones, but has dropped it now too. I assume they just don't want to pay for the licensing. Motorola uses four microphone noise cancellation and their own propriety algorithm, which is pretty good--that's what's in the Moto X 2014 and the Nexus 6, don't know about the new Moto X.

Anyway, you could experiment with covering the hole on the back and see if that's what's causing the problem.
The Following User Says Thank You to cb474 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift cb474 Ad-Free
2nd November 2015, 04:06 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
I facing the same issue. Not sure hardware issue or software issue or some setting.
10th November 2015, 01:40 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Having the same issue, need to have the microphone right up to my mouth for anyone to hear me. If I move it an inch away people sound it too low. Going to get onto google tonight about returning. Hopefully it's just a faulty microphone and not the phone design. I've tested in quite and noisy spots and same in both. Also checking not to cover any pin holes in phone that may be noise cancelling microphones.
10th November 2015, 03:31 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
I have the same issue with people reporting they cant hear me when the bottom mic is off angle from my mouth. I've done some testing by calling a desk phone on speaker and playing with the angle of the phone. From my testing and personal opinion it seems that the issue is likely due to over aggressive noise cancellation. Hopefully this is fixed in a software update or google gives us at least the ability to disable noise cancelation.
11th November 2015, 01:22 AM |#8  
Los Angeles
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I am having the same issue, complaints that I am not able to be heard.
Any feedback yet on this?
11th November 2015, 09:26 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Same issue here, a lot of people saying they cant hear me properly, if i then swivel the phone so the mic is in line with my mouth problem goes away. It seems very sensitive!!
11th November 2015, 11:41 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 1,031

More
Same here...
11th November 2015, 09:52 PM |#11  
Flag Apple Valley, CA
Thanks Meter: 38

More
Anyone resolve this issue with a replacement device? It's quite annoying to have the phone glued to your face and if you move an inch the other party cant hear you clearly.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)