Gmail 5.0: Material Design and Multiple Account Support

Google started to materialize many of its applications right after announcing the … more

Some of Our Favorite Features in Android 5.0 Lollipop

Android 5.0 Lollipop is the latest major revision to Google’s mobile operating … more

Sony SmartEyeglass SDK Developer Preview Released

A little over a month ago in Tokyo, Japan, Sony unveiled its new SmartEyeglasstechnology. … more

XDA and Leaseweb: Server Trial/Moto 360 Contest (Winners!)

About a month ago, we held a contest along with XDA’s host, Leaseweb, to … more
Post Reply

N7 LTE and calling. Yes😀

OP Duffmantp

21st September 2014, 04:38 AM   |  #1  
Duffmantp's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 32
 
246 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2011
Donate to Me
More
So I remember T-Mobile rolled out WiFi calling. I downloaded Google hangouts dialer and tried the calling feature.
First I connected through WiFi and ran the app and made a call to a ATT cell phone. And it worked. So then I turned off WiFi and turned on mobile data. Made another call to same ATT cell phone and boom! N7 T-Mobile walking talking phone.

I'm stock rooted, google hangouts dialer. I don't know if this works on ATT or Verizon because I stunt have a Sim. My call went over 'H'. I have no LTE connection in my room.

Anyone else want to confirm. But sweet

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Free mobile app
21st September 2014, 08:10 AM   |  #2  
Senior Member
Flag New York
Thanks Meter: 130
 
581 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffmantp

So I remember T-Mobile rolled out WiFi calling. I downloaded Google hangouts dialer and tried the calling feature.
First I connected through WiFi and ran the app and made a call to a ATT cell phone. And it worked. So then I turned off WiFi and turned on mobile data. Made another call to same ATT cell phone and boom! N7 T-Mobile walking talking phone.

I'm stock rooted, google hangouts dialer. I don't know if this works on ATT or Verizon because I stunt have a Sim. My call went over 'H'. I have no LTE connection in my room.

Anyone else want to confirm. But sweet

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Free mobile app

It should work regardless of carrier as long as you have access to the Internet.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
22nd September 2014, 04:22 AM   |  #3  
Duffmantp's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 32
 
246 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2011
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warbuff

It should work regardless of carrier as long as you have access to the Internet.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I thought it wasn't supposed to, because Google locked it down. You couldn't do this before. I don't believe this worked until volte started to roll out. And with Google integrating this into hangouts


Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using XDA Free mobile app
22nd September 2014, 07:50 AM   |  #4  
Senior Member
Flag New York
Thanks Meter: 130
 
581 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffmantp

I thought it wasn't supposed to, because Google locked it down. You couldn't do this before. I don't believe this worked until volte started to roll out. And with Google integrating this into hangouts


Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using XDA Free mobile app

It started working when the dialer came out. Doesn't have anything to do with the rollout of volte on some carriers.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
22nd September 2014, 09:04 AM   |  #5  
Wiki Admin / Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 1,538
 
3,449 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2010
The dialer included with hangouts is just a way to connect to gvoice with voip, which has been possible for years with 3rd party clients such as Grooveip
All it does is simplify the process of setting up, the concept is the same.

Literally any device that can connect to the internet can do hangout calls in the same manner, as there's no carriers involved at all. As far as they're concerned it's merely data.

What they did do was disable the method some clients, such as grooveip, used to connect to gvoice.
But there are multiple methods, existing solutions such as obitalk can still connect to gvoice via voip.
22nd September 2014, 11:46 PM   |  #6  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 25
 
406 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2013
Does anyone know if I could send sms on the wifi model

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
24th September 2014, 04:18 AM   |  #7  
Senior Member
Flag New York
Thanks Meter: 130
 
581 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkifm

Does anyone know if I could send sms on the wifi model

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Yes as long as you've integrated hangouts with Google voice.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
26th September 2014, 02:26 AM   |  #8  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 25
 
406 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warbuff

Yes as long as you've integrated hangouts with Google voice.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Thanks I'll try and look again wished I could forward my texts from my hangouts on my phone to my nexus 7 as well

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Top Threads in Nexus 7 (2013) General by ThreadRank