Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,802,856 Members 38,789 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Windows 8.1 Users be careful!!!

Tip us?

rahulchowdhury
Old
Thanks Meter 1

DONATE TO ME
I am on Windows 8.1 and I have never faced such an issue, but still thanks for the warning.

scrosler
Old
Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 51,579

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulchowdhury View Post
I am on Windows 8.1 and I have never faced such an issue, but still thanks for the warning.
Your lucky.. or... Smart

I had auto driver updates turned on. Once I turned them off and reset the driver I Was good

rahulchowdhury
Old
Thanks Meter 1

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrosler View Post
Your lucky.. or... Smart

I had auto driver updates turned on. Once I turned them off and reset the driver I Was good
Cool, however I have Auto Updates turned on, no probs till now. Hope it doesn't bug me like it did in your case.

littleromeo
Old
Thanks Meter 16
I have auto updates turned on too.Apparently the driver was already installed on my PC but MTP and ADB work fine.
I'm using Windows 8.1 64-Bit

leomd333
Old
Thanks Meter 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrosler View Post
I thought i was going crazy! I lost MTP and ADB and could not figure out why. I forced the Google USB driver but it still got overwritten!

I turned off automatic driver updates and deleted all drivers... Found this waiting for me!

It caused all sorts of issues. If your on Win 8.1 be warned!!!
I didn't like the look of it when it showed up in Win Update, so I just hid it, thanks for the heads up anyway!
Current Device: LG G3

Previous Devices: LG G2, Nexus 5, Samsung Galaxy Note, Sony Xperia U, ZTE Skate/Orange Monte Carlo, BlackBerry 8520, LG KS360, LG Cookie, LG Chocolate, Sony Ericsson K750i.

stevemw
Old
(Last edited by stevemw; 6th September 2014 at 08:06 PM.)
Thanks Meter 36
If you look in the device manager you might find multiple instances of the driver under the ACER device. Deleting all of the "greyed out" (ghost) ones may resolve the problem. Otherwise deleting them all and then connecting the device should work. If not, delete the device under Portable devices, then connecting your device will clear up the problem.

---------- Post added at 03:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:59 PM ----------

And yes, that update was an unexpected a$$-kicker. It knocked out N5 and N4 too.
Nexus 4 (2012), Nexus 7 FHD, Nexus 5 (2013), LG G Watch (2014)