[Q] Performance/battery life on stock 6.0.1? Currently on 4.4.2 [Wifi]

Search This thread

omgbuffguy

Jun 1, 2012
Hello

I am currently on stock rooted rom on 4.4.2. I never bothered updating since it served my purposes of watching movies.

I need to gift my nexus to someone I know, so wanted to update and unroot before giving. Would anyone please tell me how the performance and battery life is on 6.0.1 stock (will be used unrooted most likely)? I have the Wifi 2013 nexus 7

I understand it may be too obvious of an answer butI searched the thread but could not find an answer. Been away from xda for a long time. Good to be back! :)

Tmzdroid

I have owned my Nexus 7 since Christmas it came with 6.0.1 Marshmallow installed and I am very happy with the performance and battery life. I don't know how it compares with an n7 running 4.4.2 but I have had plenty of android devices in the past 5 years all rooted etc so know good from bad. Just be aware that some n7 owners have had issues with firmware updates leading to bricked tablets. I would say go for it, do a full wipe first though and maybe use the excellent Nexus Root Toolkit by Wugfresh. Enjoy.

htb2050

Apr 8, 2009
Pretty Great!

I am not running stock. I am on Commotio by TeamVanir and I get 1-2% discharge on standby during 12-16hours and when I am using it and watching youtube over wifi or just general browsing on reddit and google plus or chrome I get around 5-7hrs of SOT. My tablet is around 2 years old now and I used to charge once every 3 days so its battery is also not what it used to be when it was new.

tjupille

Dec 15, 2010
Verizon Samsung Galaxy S7
Stock rooted, I use about 8%/hour (reading, internet connected, dim screen), about 10%/hour browsing the web, dim screen). I routinely let it sit on a Qi charger when not it use, so can't comment on the standby time. Subjectively, much better than I saw on KK.

bailyc

Feb 15, 2013
I just updated mine recently to Marshmallow from Kit Kat as well. I had an issue on 6.0.1 with standby battery drain being about %10 overnight, even though it appeared to enter doze correctly. I couldn't identify any wakelocks that accounts for this drain.

I switched to 6.0.0 and it's much better now, completely same settings and apps. Overnight, it's probably a 1.5% loss, if that. Overall, battery performance is improved. But for me, 6.0.1 didn't work out. Not quite sure why.

htb2050

Apr 8, 2009
I just updated mine recently to Marshmallow from Kit Kat as well. I had an issue on 6.0.1 with standby battery drain being about %10 overnight, even though it appeared to enter doze correctly. I couldn't identify any wakelocks that accounts for this drain.

I switched to 6.0.0 and it's much better now, completely same settings and apps. Overnight, it's probably a 1.5% loss, if that. Overall, battery performance is improved. But for me, 6.0.1 didn't work out. Not quite sure why.

When you flash a new build you have to wait for a couple of charge recharge cycles until it correctly displays the battery. On a different ROM normally i lose 1% per hour on standby but after just updating and for the first few cycles even in dozd I loose more than 10% and sometimes even 50% during the night but it settles down after a charge cycle.

bailyc

Feb 15, 2013
When you flash a new build you have to wait for a couple of charge recharge cycles until it correctly displays the battery. On a different ROM normally i lose 1% per hour on standby but after just updating and for the first few cycles even in dozd I loose more than 10% and sometimes even 50% during the night but it settles down after a charge cycle.

Good information, thanks! I had already given it a couple weeks and few discharges, but I'd be willing to try again and hope it will work itself out.

Last edited:

paysen

Nov 3, 2010
But is the performance better or worse? And is rooting / unlocking still no problem?