[Q] ADB sideload with TWRP fails for 4.4.3 OTA (Nexus 7 LTE)

16th July 2014, 04:52 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Sydney
Thanks Meter: 10

114 posts
More
Hi All,

My Nexus 7 LTE is rooted with TWRP.

I've downloaded the OTA for 4.4.3 from one of the posts in the forums. It updates my razorg from KOT49H to KTU84L.

After using adb sideload, the update zip file is transferred successfully to my device, but it fails with the error message

Code:
"/system/bin/surfaceflinger" has unexpected contents.
error excuting updater binary in zip '/data/media/0/sideload.zip
Does anyone have any idea what could be causing the update to fail?

I've already restored to a stock kernel (from franco kernel) as well as uninstalled xposed framework.

Thanks!
17th July 2014, 12:20 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 2

16 posts
Install stock recovery and take ota as normal. Then reinstall twrp and reroot.
If you fail update I have a backup I made with twrp you can use. Just need to extract it to your twrp backup folder and restore. It's 100% stock and was made after wiping data. Can't post a link to my Dropbox right now because of my post count but if you need it I an send it to you by other means.
Last edited by someolddude; 17th July 2014 at 12:47 AM.
18th July 2014, 12:02 AM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Sydney

114 posts
More
Thanks for that. I think I might have to flash stock recovery and give it a shot, although I have a feeling even if I do that, it might not work as my tablet is no longer stock, since I've installed apps which made changes, such as FKU as well as CF-Lumen.
20th July 2014, 03:42 AM   |  #4  
Colorado Springs
Thanks Meter: 153

406 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by endlesstrail

Thanks for that. I think I might have to flash stock recovery and give it a shot, although I have a feeling even if I do that, it might not work as my tablet is no longer stock, since I've installed apps which made changes, such as FKU as well as CF-Lumen.

To get the OTA to work with either a stock or custom recovery the unexpected contents error will have to be fixed first. Somehow the surfaceflinger file was changed, that's a new one for me so I have no idea what could have changed it. I could upload a copy of mine if you want to try it but I do have the wifi version and don't know if they are the same. Otherwise you will need to fastboot flash the system image for the version you are running now for the update to work. Instead of doing that I would download the 4.4.3 factory image and extract the radio, system, and boot images and fastboot flash those. The bootloader did not change so that does not need to be flashed. Before flashing the images I would download the newest supersu zip and put it in your device storage, then flash the images, once that is done do not reboot, boot into recovery instead and flash the supersu zip then wipe cache and dalvik then reboot. Should take less than 15 minutes. ; )

You could also flash the factory image but that will install the stock recovery, lose root and completely wipe your device. If you are using windows you can open the flash-all.bat with a text editor like notepad and remove the -w from the text, that will prevent the userdata image from being flashed which wipes your device.
Last edited by wantabe; 20th July 2014 at 03:47 AM.
20th July 2014, 08:47 AM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Sydney

114 posts
More
Thanks for your reply, wantabe.

I guessed as much, that if I couldn't figure out what changed the surfaceflinger, I might as well do a complete flash back to stock, which was what I did. Now it's just a matter of flashing back TWRP, restoring all the apps and waiting for 4.4.4
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread