Now Gesture Tweaks Replaces Google Now with Custom Action

On most modern Android devices with software navigation keys, swiping up from the … more

ToqAN Fixes Android 5.0 Notification Bug on Qualcomm Toq

The Qualcomm Toq is probably one of the lesser known smartwatches on the market … more

How to Root and Unlock the Google Nexus 6 on a Mac – XDA TV

In the past, XDA Developer TV Producer droidmodd3rx has shown you how to … more

Set Up Your MediaTek Device with Comprehensive Beginner’s Guide

As can be seen with the use of MediaTek chips in Android One devices … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

Defective LCD? Repair under warranty? Experiences?

OP Osid

3rd September 2014, 11:33 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Flag Milano
Thanks Meter: 13
 
39 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2009
More
Just a simple question: I've buyed a refurbished Nexus 7 (2013) from an eBay seller in UK.

Device is defective: display always shows some vertical black lines. These are dead pixels? Could be correlated to bad handling during shipping? Exterior is without any scratch or sign. Device is in perfect state.

I think it's an hardware fault and that requires replacement of LCD panel.



I could send back device to eBay seller but I must pay shipping cost and it's an international shipping, so it's quite expensive.

I'm opting to use ASUS RMA under warranty. Nexus will be free shipped to ASUS Europe repair lab which is in Czech Republic (Brno).

This kind of defect is under warranty or there's a risk that ASUS could ask me to pay in order to repair my Nexus?

The only proof of purchase that I've are emails of eBay order and PayPal payment. Could be sufficient? Without proof of purchace I can obtain repair under warranty based on build date?
Last edited by Osid; 3rd September 2014 at 11:41 AM.
4th September 2014, 11:40 PM   |  #2  
Senior Member
Colorado Springs
Thanks Meter: 172
 
438 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osid

Just a simple question: I've buyed a refurbished Nexus 7 (2013) from an eBay seller in UK.

Device is defective: display always shows some vertical black lines. These are dead pixels? Could be correlated to bad handling during shipping? Exterior is without any scratch or sign. Device is in perfect state.

I think it's an hardware fault and that requires replacement of LCD panel.

I could send back device to eBay seller but I must pay shipping cost and it's an international shipping, so it's quite expensive.

I'm opting to use ASUS RMA under warranty. Nexus will be free shipped to ASUS Europe repair lab which is in Czech Republic (Brno).

This kind of defect is under warranty or there's a risk that ASUS could ask me to pay in order to repair my Nexus?

The only proof of purchase that I've are emails of eBay order and PayPal payment. Could be sufficient? Without proof of purchace I can obtain repair under warranty based on build date?

I don't have any experience with refurbished devices but it's always been my understanding that they can tell when your device was sold based on the serial number. I'm sure that Asus will want copies of your emails for the RMA. Give Asus a call and explain the situation. One of my 2012 N7's I had to RMA for an audio issue and I thought that they were easy to deal with. Good luck!
5th September 2014, 12:33 PM   |  #3  
OP Member
Flag Milano
Thanks Meter: 13
 
39 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2009
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by wantabe

I don't have any experience with refurbished devices but it's always been my understanding that they can tell when your device was sold based on the serial number. I'm sure that Asus will want copies of your emails for the RMA. Give Asus a call and explain the situation. One of my 2012 N7's I had to RMA for an audio issue and I thought that they were easy to deal with. Good luck!

I have RMAed device to European service center yesterday and today has arrived at the center.
I've sended with original package, all the included accessories and some paper forms (RMA module, declaration of goods, a copy of warranty form/card compiled and with SN sticker ).

I've produced also a copy of the invoice.

Now, my only fear is that the defect in photo will be considered not covered by warranty or warranty will be considered not valid, 'cause I've buyed from an eBay seller.

UPDATE #1: now appear in Check Repair Status page on ASUS website as "Product repair is in progress". Does it mean that it's considered a repair in warranty?
Last edited by Osid; 5th September 2014 at 03:49 PM.
6th September 2014, 04:13 PM   |  #4  
Senior Member
Colorado Springs
Thanks Meter: 172
 
438 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osid

I have RMAed device to European service center yesterday and today has arrived at the center.
I've sended with original package, all the included accessories and some paper forms (RMA module, declaration of goods, a copy of warranty form/card compiled and with SN sticker ).

I've produced also a copy of the invoice.

Now, my only fear is that the defect in photo will be considered not covered by warranty or warranty will be considered not valid, 'cause I've buyed from an eBay seller.

UPDATE #1: now appear in Check Repair Status page on ASUS website as "Product repair is in progress". Does it mean that it's considered a repair in warranty?

Sounds like it's all good.as long as you got an RMA authorization number and you should hopefully get it back in a week or two.
9th September 2014, 12:39 PM   |  #5  
OP Member
Flag Milano
Thanks Meter: 13
 
39 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2009
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by wantabe

Sounds like it's all good.as long as you got an RMA authorization number and you should hopefully get it back in a week or two.

UPDATE #2: now ASUS website states "Product was repaired OK and is now packed ready for shipping or pick up."

So, it seems that's all good and very fast.
Will be the same device with some parts replaced? Replaced with another refurbished one? A new one? Sended back with "test OK/No problem found"?
9th September 2014, 09:11 PM   |  #6  
Scott@ASUS's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter: 17
 
41 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2014
Hello XDA,

If anyone has any questions regarding the RMA process or needs assistance with their Nexus, please do not hesitate to contact me. You can reach me by emailing me at CL-Scott1@Asus.com.

I am here to assist you with all of your ASUS needs.
The Following User Says Thank You to Scott@ASUS For This Useful Post: [ View ]
10th September 2014, 05:51 AM   |  #7  
Senior Member
Colorado Springs
Thanks Meter: 172
 
438 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osid

UPDATE #2: now ASUS website states "Product was repaired OK and is now packed ready for shipping or pick up."

So, it seems that's all good and very fast.
Will be the same device with some parts replaced? Replaced with another refurbished one? A new one? Sended back with "test OK/No problem found"?

Good deal! That was fast! If you want to verify that you get the same one back you can go into Settings/About tablet/Status and check the serial number. My experience was that I got the same one back but it's not unheard of for a device to be replaced. I wouldn't expect a refurbished unit to be replaced with a new one but who knows? Good luck I hope your N7 works well for you!
10th September 2014, 11:12 PM   |  #8  
OP Member
Flag Milano
Thanks Meter: 13
 
39 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2009
More
Today I've received my Nexus 7 (2013) repaired!

Was replaced LCD+FRONT+GPS MODULE

Fast work and good support
13th September 2014, 12:45 AM   |  #9  
Senior Member
Colorado Springs
Thanks Meter: 172
 
438 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osid

Today I've received my Nexus 7 (2013) repaired!

Was replaced LCD+FRONT+GPS MODULE

Fast work and good support

Outstanding! Enjoy your tablet!

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes