Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Downloading ZIP files via stock Email app... trying to fix... PLEASE HELP!

OP Audio Oblivion

15th August 2014, 02:18 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 7

644 posts
Dear All,

I recently discovered the atrocious 'security feature' Google is forcing upon it's Nexus users that disallows any downloading of certain compressed file types if they are sent to you via Email.

For those that don't know... send yourself a ZIP file (for instance) as an email attachment and your Nexus device will NOT let you download it once you receive the email within either the 'Email' or 'Gmail' app (other third party apps work fine).

I have searched high and low for a solution to this issue but it seems a fix hasn't been implemented even by the CyanogenMod community.

The closest I came to a fix is the following:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/gala...t1377475/page3

I have tried the solution suggested in the above thread which involves decompiling Email.apk, modifying some code, recompiling and implementing the new apk but I am now struggling.

I have decompliled the systems email.apk using apk tool... found the correct lines of code for my version of android ( http://grepcode.com/file/repository....ENT_EXTENSIONS ) and modified the file in question accordingly.

It is here where it all goes wrong... I cannot for the life of me figure what I am doing wrong when trying to implement the new Email.apk.

I copy it into system/apps using root explorer and reboot (after removing the old apk)... nothing. Email app has in fact disappeared.

Could anyone shed some light on this please?

I know there are work arounds such as using webmail but that's no good to me... I am extremely surprised that even at this stage of Android development we still have this kind of restriction so would appreciate all thoughts on how to get this going.

Maybe someone out there has some more information about the issue that I haven't been able to find?

PLEASE HELP!
15th August 2014, 04:30 PM   |  #2  
OP Senior Member

644 posts
UPDATE:

Managed to get my modified email.apk loaded but the amendments have not been successful.

Does anyone know any other parts of the source code I should be looking at?
12th September 2014, 11:19 AM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member

644 posts
bump
13th September 2014, 01:40 AM   |  #4  
Colorado Springs
Thanks Meter: 165

429 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Oblivion

bump

Can't help you with the source code just wanted to say that I am able to download zip files with the newest version of the Gmail app (v 4.9) just fine. Sent a zip to my yahoo account and tried to use the Email app and keep getting "Couldn't download. Touch to retry." I thought they had fixed both but apparently not.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread