[Q] fastboot commands hang

Search This thread

ksin86

Dec 12, 2010
Vancouver
Hi, everyone been searching the forums to no avail.

I have a stock unmodified Nexus 7 2013 and was watching a video the other day when it just froze. I restart it manually and now it won't get past the "Google" screen at startup. I'm able to get to he bootloader (vol down+ pwr) but can't unlock with fastboot nor can I erase any partitions using fastboot. I'm basically preparing to wipe and re-install the stock ROM over top.

Steps taken so far:
  • using fastboot, the "fastboot devices" command works and returns a result
  • Got as far as the OEM Unlock screen, and entered Yes to perform unlock but it hangs (even overnight)
  • but when trying to use "fastboot erase boot" or erase any other partitions, it also hangs.

Just to be clear, this is what I'm doing

C:\fastboot>fastboot devices
079bd1ae fastboot
(This works fine)

C:\fastboot>fastboot oem unlock
(Proceed to unlock on-screen -> HANGS)

C:\fastboot>fastboot erase boot
erasing 'boot'...
(HANGS)

Thanks,
Ryan

aniket0317

Mar 25, 2014
Gotham
Hi, everyone been searching the forums to no avail.

I have a stock unmodified Nexus 7 2013 and was watching a video the other day when it just froze. I restart it manually and now it won't get past the "Google" screen at startup. I'm able to get to he bootloader (vol down+ pwr) but can't unlock with fastboot nor can I erase any partitions using fastboot. I'm basically preparing to wipe and re-install the stock ROM over top.

Steps taken so far:
  • using fastboot, the "fastboot devices" command works and returns a result
  • Got as far as the OEM Unlock screen, and entered Yes to perform unlock but it hangs (even overnight)
  • but when trying to use "fastboot erase boot" or erase any other partitions, it also hangs.

Just to be clear, this is what I'm doing

C:\fastboot>fastboot devices
079bd1ae fastboot
(This works fine)

C:\fastboot>fastboot oem unlock
(Proceed to unlock on-screen -> HANGS)

C:\fastboot>fastboot erase boot
erasing 'boot'...
(HANGS)

Thanks,
Ryan
Try using Wug"s Nexus Root Toolkit

Aerowinder

Aug 11, 2012
Nobody knows how to fix the tablets that won't unlock. Many have asked, none have ever gotten an answer as far as I know.

Going with hardware failure, RMA.

You could try a different cable and USB 2.0 port. But don't hold your breath.

mugzylol

Jun 28, 2014
Can you flash a custom recovery? (Or boot into one) flashing a new stock image will solve problems. Twrp will mount a USB OTG If you get the right one. Maybe you could flash a ROM from a USB OTG. /sdcard probably wouldn't mount.

sent from my nex7

ksin86

Dec 12, 2010
Vancouver
Can you flash a custom recovery? (Or boot into one) flashing a new stock image will solve problems. Twrp will mount a USB OTG If you get the right one. Maybe you could flash a ROM from a USB OTG. /sdcard probably wouldn't mount.

sent from my nex7

Thanks for the reply. But unfortunately I can't even run the OEM Unlock command to be able to to flash anything...

Pandae

Dec 14, 2013
Did you double-check how the drivers are installed? What does "fastboot devices" say?

If you can't unlock via a manual fastboot command, it's doubtful Wug's tool will do any better. I wish I had an answer for you, because while not "common," this does come up from time to time. It may or may not be hardware failure, but every time it seems something in the bootloader got corrupted/damaged. It makes me glad that with my two N7 generations, I unlocked almost immediately as part of rooting.

I think there's a "boot.img" file as part of the stock ROM package. Even though you're unlocked, maybe you can try flashing it? Just that file, not any of the others.

https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images

Last edited:

cchen25

Oct 4, 2014
Had the exact same thing happen... Help!

Unfortunately, I had the exact same thing happen. My nexus 7 is not quite a year old now. Worked perfectly before, but suddenly this week it died.

Have been trying the toolkit today to no avail as it is still locked.

If anyone knows of a solution, would be very grateful for the help. I now have a useless brick.

Pandae

Dec 14, 2013
It might be eMMC failure. There doesn't seem to be a fix to do at home, at least not with fastboot, so hurry and get an RMA while it's still in warranty.