Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Fastboot.exe Crash Nexus 7 2013

OP Aremisalive

4th September 2014, 01:26 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
I have not had a lot of experience with SDK tools like adb and fastboot, but I have used them to Root my Nexus 7 (2013) with no problems. But now I am not able to update my Nexus from Kit kat 4.4.2. I have had no problems updateing before, and have not had problems rooting after updating. But when I try to update via the OTA update, it fails every time. I had the TWRP Recovery, and had no problems updating. When this update failed I tried useing the ClockworkMod recovory, but the update also failed. I tried to manually update useing the downloaded razor-ktu841.zip, and the platform tools fastboot. If I run the flash-all.bat, it will write the bootloader, and then restart the bootloader. After that Fastboot.exe crashes. I used Fastboot to flash the stock recovery for my device, and that worked flawlessly. But again, both the OTA update and updating manually failed. If I try to just update useing "fastboot -w update image-razor-ktu84l.zip" Fastboot.exe also crashes. I would leave my Nexus on 4.4.2, but I am having occasional issues with the touch screen, and frequent problems with the Gyroscope and Accelerometer that I hope will be fixed by updating. They will just stop working, and only a restart fixes them. I am compleatly stock as far as roms go. I stuck with stock android. I also believe I have the stock kernel as well, seeing as how I never touched it. I would rather not factory reset my tablet, because I have a lot of stuff on it. That would be a last resort for me.

Any help would be much appreciated.
4th September 2014, 11:24 AM   |  #2  
Flag Brighton
Thanks Meter: 2

31 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aremisalive

I have not had a lot of experience with SDK tools like adb and fastboot, but I have used them to Root my Nexus 7 (2013) with no problems. But now I am not able to update my Nexus from Kit kat 4.4.2. I have had no problems updateing before, and have not had problems rooting after updating. But when I try to update via the OTA update, it fails every time. I had the TWRP Recovery, and had no problems updating. When this update failed I tried useing the ClockworkMod recovory, but the update also failed. I tried to manually update useing the downloaded razor-ktu841.zip, and the platform tools fastboot. If I run the flash-all.bat, it will write the bootloader, and then restart the bootloader. After that Fastboot.exe crashes. I used Fastboot to flash the stock recovery for my device, and that worked flawlessly. But again, both the OTA update and updating manually failed. If I try to just update useing "fastboot -w update image-razor-ktu84l.zip" Fastboot.exe also crashes. I would leave my Nexus on 4.4.2, but I am having occasional issues with the touch screen, and frequent problems with the Gyroscope and Accelerometer that I hope will be fixed by updating. They will just stop working, and only a restart fixes them. I am compleatly stock as far as roms go. I stuck with stock android. I also believe I have the stock kernel as well, seeing as how I never touched it. I would rather not factory reset my tablet, because I have a lot of stuff on it. That would be a last resort for me.

I can't actually find a KTU841 zip on the Google Devs page, also stock images from said source are typically not .zip files, they are .tgz images. (https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images). The reason you can't OTA update is because you rooted your device, once unlocked and rooted you need to sideload updates manually, a small price you pay for wanting that bit more.

To me it sounds as if a factory reset may be your best option in this case, that is certainly what I would do at this juncture. You can still connect your device to your computer and back up all your stuff before you wipe it though.
4th September 2014, 11:10 PM   |  #3  
Colorado Springs
Thanks Meter: 169

435 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aremisalive

Sounds like you need to reinstall/update the SDK. You're missing a .dll or something. I know I have in the past deleted more than what I should have when cleaning out the platform tools folder after flashing images. If you run the flash-all.bat it will COMPLETELY wipe your device including whatever is in storage. You can modify the flash-all.bat with a text editor and then be able to use it without it doing a complete wipe. Open the flash-all.bat with notepad (I use editpad lite) and remove the -w from the text. Removing the -w will keep the flash-all.bat from flashing the userdata.img which is inside the image zip which is what wipes the device. The flash-all.bat will flash the stock recovery so any custom recovery will have to be reflashed if you use the bat file. Personally... after fixing your sdk install I would pull the boot.img and system.img from inside the image zip and put those in your platform tools folder so that you can fastboot flash them. Download a custom recovery (I use TWRP) and rename it to something shorter, put it inside your platform tools folder so that you can fastboot flash it also. Download the supersu installable zip and put it in your device storage. The bootloader image does not need to be flashed because it has not changed from 4.4.2 to 4.4.4.
fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot flash system system.img
fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
Use the buttons on device to boot into recovery. Install the super su zip. Then go to advanced wipe, wipe cache and dalvik. Reboot system. "IF" you run into any problems after updating you can do a factory reset from inside TWRP and it will not wipe your storage. Of course, doing a factory reset from your devices Settings/Backup & reset will wipe everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by purephysics

I can't actually find a KTU841 zip on the Google Devs page, also stock images from said source are typically not .zip files, they are .tgz images. (https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images). The reason you can't OTA update is because you rooted your device, once unlocked and rooted you need to sideload updates manually, a small price you pay for wanting that bit more.

The OP was correct. If you unzip the tgz far enough you will see:
bootloader-flo-flo-04.02.img
flash-all.bat
flash-all.sh
flash-base.sh
image-razor-ktu84l.zip

Inside image-razor-ktu84l.zip you will see the rest of the images:
android-info.txt
boot.img
cache.img
recovery.img
system.img
userdata.img

Being rooted will not prevent you from being able to download and use an OTA like you can if not rooted. It's what you do after you are rooted that will make an OTA fail, a lot of the time even if you sideload it. Custom kernels, ANY mods to system files can and usually will throw an unexpected contents error or some other kind of error. The smaller the OTA is the more likely it will work, I wouldn't count on it but it is possible. If there are no modified files that the OTA is trying to update the OTA could work. Fact is, a couple of the KitKat updates were VERY small and I was able to get the OTA to work just fine (without sideloading) and I use a custom kernel, recovery, hosts file, media_profiles.xml, fonts, bootanimation and ui/audio sounds. I almost always fastboot flash the needed images separately but for grins tried those two small OTA's. Rarely do I even bother with an OTA.
Last edited by wantabe; 4th September 2014 at 11:26 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to wantabe For This Useful Post: [ View ]
5th September 2014, 06:21 AM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
Thumbs up Works!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wantabe

Sounds like you need to reinstall/update the SDK. You're missing a .dll or something. I know I have in the past deleted more than what I should have when cleaning out the platform tools folder after flashing images. If you run the flash-all.bat it will COMPLETELY wipe your device including whatever is in storage. You can modify the flash-all.bat with a text editor and then be able to use it without it doing a complete wipe. Open the flash-all.bat with notepad (I use editpad lite) and remove the -w from the text. Removing the -w will keep the flash-all.bat from flashing the userdata.img which is inside the image zip which is what wipes the device. The flash-all.bat will flash the stock recovery so any custom recovery will have to be reflashed if you use the bat file. Personally... after fixing your sdk install I would pull the boot.img and system.img from inside the image zip and put those in your platform tools folder so that you can fastboot flash them. Download a custom recovery (I use TWRP) and rename it to something shorter, put it inside your platform tools folder so that you can fastboot flash it also. Download the supersu installable zip and put it in your device storage. The bootloader image does not need to be flashed because it has not changed from 4.4.2 to 4.4.4.
fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot flash system system.img
fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
Use the buttons on device to boot into recovery. Install the super su zip. Then go to advanced wipe, wipe cache and dalvik. Reboot system. "IF" you run into any problems after updating you can do a factory reset from inside TWRP and it will not wipe your storage. Of course, doing a factory reset from your devices Settings/Backup & reset will wipe everything.

The OP was correct. If you unzip the tgz far enough you will see:
bootloader-flo-flo-04.02.img
flash-all.bat
flash-all.sh
flash-base.sh
image-razor-ktu84l.zip

Inside image-razor-ktu84l.zip you will see the rest of the images:
android-info.txt
boot.img
cache.img
recovery.img
system.img
userdata.img

Being rooted will not prevent you from being able to download and use an OTA like you can if not rooted. It's what you do after you are rooted that will make an OTA fail, a lot of the time even if you sideload it. Custom kernels, ANY mods to system files can and usually will throw an unexpected contents error or some other kind of error. The smaller the OTA is the more likely it will work, I wouldn't count on it but it is possible. If there are no modified files that the OTA is trying to update the OTA could work. Fact is, a couple of the KitKat updates were VERY small and I was able to get the OTA to work just fine (without sideloading) and I use a custom kernel, recovery, hosts file, media_profiles.xml, fonts, bootanimation and ui/audio sounds. I almost always fastboot flash the needed images separately but for grins tried those two small OTA's. Rarely do I even bother with an OTA.

Thanks for your help, after re-downloading the SDK, and image (just to be safe) I was able to flash the boot, system, and recovery with no problems. It upgraded me to 4.4.3! I then was able to do an OTA update to 4.4.4 and then rooted it by installing the SuperSU installable zip with TWRP with no problems. Thank you very much!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread