[Q] New N7 what do I do

OP evilnecessity

30th August 2014, 11:12 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

17 posts
Hi, I just bought a new Nexus 7 32 GB (2013).

I transferred a load of files over to the Nexus from my PC. I can see them in the storage folder but can't access any i.e. I can't play any audio/video or read any pdfs.

On a separate occasion I tried to transfer over one AVI file but Windows Explorer kept crashing.

The tablet also keeps asking me to sign in for everything, which is annoying.

Anyway, I think I need to root my tablet but I'm a bit hesitant about this because I just bought the thing.

Anyway, some advice would be helpful. Thanks.
30th August 2014, 11:10 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 1

64 posts
Beside return it and use your money better, unlock and root it install SlimROM and enjoy the glory of it Or install kali for "pentesting" 3

You can always return to factory defaults when you only rooted current rom. But if you unlock and install custom recovery then that needs a bit more of fiddling around to return it to stock.
30th August 2014, 11:44 PM   |  #3  
Flag okeechobee
Thanks Meter: 56

326 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnecessity

Hi, I just bought a new Nexus 7 32 GB (2013).

I transferred a load of files over to the Nexus from my PC. I can see them in the storage folder but can't access any i.e. I can't play any audio/video or read any pdfs.

On a separate occasion I tried to transfer over one AVI file but Windows Explorer kept crashing.

The tablet also keeps asking me to sign in for everything, which is annoying.

Anyway, I think I need to root my tablet but I'm a bit hesitant about this because I just bought the thing.

Anyway, some advice would be helpful. Thanks.

Are you new to tablets, in general? You don't give a lot of info. You don't need root to play music/videos and to read pdfs. You do need an app that will handle your file. Your N7 should be able to handle video, audio, and pdf through google apps, I believe although I use other apps for those files. Have you tried to open any of these files from within an app? If the google apps don't work for you, play store has many free apps for everything you need.
31st August 2014, 10:10 AM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

17 posts
Hi, yes, I'm new to tablets. I tried rooting my Samsung Galaxy Y a while ago but it was such a mess I've been put off Android since.

Anyway, I read about ES File Explorer and that seems to have helped as it actually lists and makes accessible all the files I transferred over. I can even delete files which I couldn't do previously.

One wonders why the Android OS doesn't have something built in to do this but anyways, I guess they're just forcing us to buy their apps.

As a windows user, I find it frustrating how I can't even do the most simple things in an intuitive way..like makes notes to a notepad whilst reading a pdf.

Anyways, I guess I need to do more research on rooting. The problem with rooting is that it's not just a question of following some instructions as invariably it goes wrong and then has to be salvaged.
31st August 2014, 01:45 PM   |  #5  
Flag okeechobee
Thanks Meter: 56

326 posts
More
It's just a matter of becoming familiar with it. Windows wasn't easy coming from Mac years ago. Now I have Windows 7 and latest MacOS in the house to try to comprehend. I think your choice of naked Android (Google product) may help in many regards because your tablet isn't loaded with bloatware. If you decide to root, it's also much easier on the google devices. If you know anything about ADB and command prompts, you can do it that way--and in the long run, it's the most valuable for learning about the process. If not, I've found Wugs Toolkit to be very user friendly--although a few times I had to resort to CMD input. The greatest challenge for most users is getting the ADB/Fastboot drivers loaded. His toolkit helps with that, but I'd already had it set up before ever trying the toolkit so I can't speak to how it goes. He is very helpful when/if you have a problem.
As far as pdf annotations, there are many free apps out there (ESFile Explorer should have been free unless there is a charge for non-US markets--your use of "whilst" could indicate that). Try ezPDF reader--the free trial version. Or, just search for pdf reader with annotations.
The best is that you found XDA. Someone is always willing to help.
Last edited by ritchea; 31st August 2014 at 01:49 PM.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread