Nvidia and Robotics w/ Barrett Williams – XDA:DevCon 2014

Robotics continues to dominate our videos from this years XDA:DevCon 2014 in … more

Speed Up Deodexing with JoelDroid Batch Deodexer

Android 5.0 Lollipop brings many under-the-hood changes like changing the default compiler … more

Top 5 Apps for 2014 + Top Xposed Mod of 2014 – XDA TV

Its that time of year where you look back and remember the things that happened … more

NVIDIA SHIELD Tablet Gets Android 5.0.1, OTA Available

The NVIDIA SHIELD Tablet is the latest Android-powered device released by famed GPU … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Nexus 7 2013 not booting

OP Ultra_Saucy

3rd July 2014, 10:00 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

20 posts
So I just bought a nexus 7 off of amazon(used). When I first turned it on, I got the google logo, and it stayed on until I held the power button. It then was blank, and then the google logo showed for about 10 seconds, and then it goes blank, 10 seconds, then blank, ect. unless I go into the bootloader.(it might be worth mentioning that the little unlocked lock icon appears under the google logo.) After I got into the bootloader, I shut the device down and waited for a while(maybe 15 minutes). Then i tried to reboot, and it successfully booted. However, before i could get into the settings to check what version of android it was running, it reboot and got stuck at the google logo again. Is it possible to fix this, or is there a hardware problem? Thanks.
3rd July 2014, 11:17 PM   |  #2  
Flag Orange County, CA
Thanks Meter: 159

511 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultra_Saucy

So I just bought a nexus 7 off of amazon(used). When I first turned it on, I got the google logo, and it stayed on until I held the power button. It then was blank, and then the google logo showed for about 10 seconds, and then it goes blank, 10 seconds, then blank, ect. unless I go into the bootloader.(it might be worth mentioning that the little unlocked lock icon appears under the google logo.) After I got into the bootloader, I shut the device down and waited for a while(maybe 15 minutes). Then i tried to reboot, and it successfully booted. However, before i could get into the settings to check what version of android it was running, it reboot and got stuck at the google logo again. Is it possible to fix this, or is there a hardware problem? Thanks.

Have you tried flashing the factory image yet? If I ever bought a used Nexus device, even if it were functional, flashing the factory image would be the very first thing I would do. You never know what the previous owner may have flashed onto it, which is evident by the fact that he/she had already unlocked it. I would say since it's already unlocked, just flash the latest factory image and to make double sure, boot into recovery after flashing and "wipe data/factory data reset." It's a good sign that it at least boots, but you won't know until flashing the factory image.
3rd July 2014, 11:21 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

20 posts
OK, so what is the best way to flash the new image?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Free mobile app
3rd July 2014, 11:42 PM   |  #4  
Flag Orange County, CA
Thanks Meter: 159

511 posts
More
Quote:

OK, so what is the best way to flash the new image?

Check out the OP in this thread from the Nexus 5 forums: http://forum.xda-developers.com/goog...image-t2513701. Although it's for the N5, it is pretty much the exact same procedure for the the Nexus 7 (2013) (and Nexus 10). Basically, you'll need to install the ADB/Fastboot drivers to make sure your device is detected properly while in the Bootloader. Then, you can just flash the factory image. You can use Method 1 in the OP of that thread. MAKE SURE YOU DOWNLOAD THE CORRECT FACTORY IMAGE. You can find the latest factory image here: https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images. The WiFi only model is "razor," while the LTE model is "razorg."
The Following User Says Thank You to charesa39 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
4th July 2014, 10:59 PM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member

20 posts
Ok so I flashed version 4.4.4 onto my device, and it seems to be working perfectly, but how can I root it to intsall other roms? I couldnt find anything on rooting 4.4.4, so is it too new?
5th July 2014, 12:06 AM   |  #6  
Flag Midwest
Thanks Meter: 425

1,746 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:

Ok so I flashed version 4.4.4 onto my device, and it seems to be working perfectly, but how can I root it to intsall other roms? I couldnt find anything on rooting 4.4.4, so is it too new?

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6k4rCaMPSQ8

Sent from my Nexus 7 Flo running Paranoid Android 4.4.4 using XDA premium 4 mobile app
5th July 2014, 06:25 PM   |  #7  
OP Junior Member

20 posts
Ok so I have Ben using my nexus 7 for about a fday after I flashed the stock ROM, and it started acting up again ( I didn't root it). It crashed, and then would not boot. Should I try to reflash the stock ROM again, or is there a hardware problem?

5th July 2014, 07:50 PM   |  #8  
Flag Midwest
Thanks Meter: 425

1,746 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:

Ok so I have Ben using my nexus 7 for about a fday after I flashed the stock ROM, and it started acting up again ( I didn't root it). It crashed, and then would not boot. Should I try to reflash the stock ROM again, or is there a hardware problem?

Confirm you have the right image and try flashing again. Make sure to wipe dalvik and cache too.

Sent from my Nexus 7 Flo running Paranoid Android 4.4.4 using XDA premium 4 mobile app
5th July 2014, 07:52 PM   |  #9  
OP Junior Member

20 posts
How do I wipe the dalvik cache? Also, I used the image from googles Dev site, and I am sure it is the right one.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread